General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sims, NC, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 53s
Overall Rank = 37/123
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Upon arrival I road my bike to the transistion area, set up transition, picked up the timing chip and got body markings, streched and then spent some time warming up for the swim.
Event warmup:

Short bike, stretching, swim warmup.
Swim
  • 21m 3s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although I am improving in the water, I still suck. I willl grade it as average for me, but then again I am a below average swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work more on technique, spend more time doing the drills, improve my breathing, and increase my pace, and thats just for starters. I really need to learn to draft.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Pretty good overall transition.

I just need to pay a little more attention to transistions and spend more time practicing.
Bike
  • 50m 30s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried out my new X-Lab carbon rear wheel for the first time in a race, very nice!

I think that I could have bumped up the pace a notch or two if I had spent a little more time on the bike in the weeks leading up to the race. I only went for three short rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

In T2 I encountered the only real hicup I had for the day. There is always one, right? I came off the bike and into transistion very nicely, helmet off and shoes on good, everything is going smoothly, but then, where did I put that race belt? I wasted :10 looking for it and then I saw a belt lying on the pavement behind me in between racks, finally! I picked it up and was putting it on only to discover, it was not mine. I handed it to a event staff member as I was heading out of transition thinking that it's ownr must have mine. I found mine over a curb against the transition area fence?screen after the race. i have no idea how it got there as there was virtually no wind.

Secure my race belt under my shoes instead of on top.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a nice run, comfortable pace, HR in the target zone. Took one short swig of water in the run just to wet my mouth.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a runner and I don't really enjoy torturing my body like some of the masocistic runners out there do, but it is the area that I have seen vast improvement in. I have been giving it more time then biking, which I love and swimming, in which I am comfortable, maybe too comfortable judging from my sorry times. I need to keep at it and increase my pace and HR.
Post race
Warm down:

WARM down is an accurate discription, it was hot and very little escape from the sun. When I caught my breath after the final kick on the run, I headed for the opicnic shelter, shade and a ceiling fan set on low. I then hydrated, grabed some carbs (Bagel),and some orange slices and went for a short swim to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a set up error in transition and the fact that I swim like a wounded duck with two broken legs.

Event comments:

Very good first effort! I enjoyed it and would do it again. The staff at Finish Strong did a great job as usual. If you are ever in Eastern NC and plan on doing an event, look these people up, they do a great job and they keep the fees down! We need to support them and keep them around!

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:03 | 1094 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 57/123
Performance: Average
Suit: Not Wetsuit Legal
Course: Very nice. Atriangle going counter clockwise from boat ramp and back to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:30 | 17 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 30/123
Wind: Little
Course: This was a nice course running clockwise around the reservior consisting of rolling terrian. there was one tough climb and one short spell of rough pavement but all and all this was a good fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 22/123
Average HR 165
Course: Two loop out and back, rollig terrain, very little shade and it was hot!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %Notta
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 11:52 AM

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC
Subject: TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed