View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Marcos, Texas
United States
Total Time = 58m 14s
Overall Rank = 12/244
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Event warmup:

Jogged and swam a bit to get loosened up.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim time includes T1.

I felt comfortable, never feeling that I was working particularly hard. I knew the pace was decent since I was passing lots of people. My strategy on the swim is to swim strong, but conserve lots of energy for the bike and run. With the time trial start there were really no opportunities for drafting. Overall I was pleased, though I probably could have gone a bit faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My bike was racked close to the T1 entrance so I got to it quickly. There's really not much to do in T1 other than drop the goggles and cap, put on helment and glasses, and run off. I didn't run as fast as I normally try to from the swim into the transition area, nor with the bike out to the mount line. Feeling a bit lazy since this is a C race, I suppose.
What would you do differently?:

Run!
Bike
  • 36m 24s
  • 11.99 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride felt surprisingly good and stong!

Unfortunately a couple of errors cost me time. First, when coming to a left turn I saw a girl in front of me go straight. I hadn't been paying much attention so I thought that maybe she was right; I slowed down almost to a stop, looked left to see if there were riders that direction, then turned left when I saw them in the distance. She turned around.

Then, a hundred meters later I switched to the large chain ring, but within a minute decided that wasn't the right decision since I couldn't find a gear that felt right with the steady headwind. So I downshifted fast in the front while while simultaneously upshifting three or four gears in the rear, and the chain dropped! I tried for a bit to ease it back onto the front chainring by pedaling slowly adjusting the front derailleur. But the chain was stuck and I had to stop, dismount, and get the chain back on manually. I got passed by a few people in the process.

Somewhere around mile 4 I got passed by a guy in my AG. I tried to pick up the pace and keep with him. When that didn't happen I tried just to keep him in sight. Eventually he was out of sight.... I figured I was 2nd in my AG at that point.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I normally take pride in being among the fastest in transitions, but this one included some serious blunders! When I got to my spot with my bike I was pissed off since there was another bike in my spot! So I hooked my bars to the transition rack right next to the other bike, probably too close, and the guy's bike fell. Oh well, his fault. I reach down for the shoes and WTF, these aren't my shoes!! It turns out I was in the wrong row :( I re rack the other guy's bike, unrack mine to move it to my row, and the other guy's bike falls again! I rack mine in the proper place this time, put on my running shoes, then run back to pick up and rack the other guy's bike again. Then I run out to transition....
What would you do differently?:

Hang that ribbon from the transition rack like I did at CapTex to identify my space and avoid stupid errors!
Run
  • 14m 27s
  • 1.99 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I just went out and ran as fast as my breathing would let me. I probably went too hard, again, but I didn't get passed by anyone at all! That doesn't happen to me on the run often!

Before the race I put on large, waterproof bandages on the back of my heels since I seem to get blisters everytime I race sockless, on sometimes even with socks (when they get soaked). While the race was only 2 miles it seems to have worked!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper after a heavy training week and a few dumb errors on the bike and T2. The #1 guy in my AG beat me by just over 2 minutes; I figure I lost about between 1 and 2 minutes on my screwups. I not sure I could have taken first, but it would have been close!

Event comments:

Overall a great race! Some issues with timing but that can happen. Swim course was good, bike was on good roads (not too much chipseal) with very little traffic, and the run was on roads with absolutely no traffic. Post race activities were OK but got started late due to the timing issues I believe.

Last updated: 2009-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 300 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: