General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alum Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Alum Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

this is the race i started my come back to tris with last year.  i am anxious to see how i have improved.  barring a 90 degree day or injury i should be able to get an apples to apples comparison of my improvement.

2009-06-16 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2219117

Subject: RE: Alum Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread
Alum Creek tri will be my first tri. I was feeling ok about it until I did my first open water swim about two weeks ago. Now, I am getting a bit nervous. I swim in circles and I found that I get over anxious swimming in open water, especially when I know my feet can't touch bottom. I know it is 80% mental. I have been training for more than three months, but now just want it to be over.

Any tips (I will event take reassurance at this point ) people can provide is appreciated. 

How well is the swim course marked? Are there guards placed throughout the swim course for safety? I know I can swim the distance, but my mind is throwing up road (err, water) blocks!!

Wayne 
2009-06-17 1:52 AM
in reply to: #2223210

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
iwhenry - 2009-06-17 12:29 AM Alum Creek tri will be my first tri. I was feeling ok about it until I did my first open water swim about two weeks ago. Now, I am getting a bit nervous. I swim in circles and I found that I get over anxious swimming in open water, especially when I know my feet can't touch bottom. I know it is 80% mental. I have been training for more than three months, but now just want it to be over.

Any tips (I will event take reassurance at this point ) people can provide is appreciated. 

How well is the swim course marked? Are there guards placed throughout the swim course for safety? I know I can swim the distance, but my mind is throwing up road (err, water) blocks!!

Wayne 

I'm a newbie myself, but I share the very same concerns of swimming in open water as you do. So much so that I didn't sign up for the Deer Creek tri and purposely waited for the Wendy's tri since the swim was along the beach and I could stand up if I ended up in a panic.

I had done one tri (pool swim) when someone asked me if I ever got the "panic" feeling when I did the swim portion. I had never heard of anyone panicking before, but from the day I was asked that question, the seed was planted. Fast forward to this years Miami U tri (another pool swim). While doing the swim portion of the race, I panicked. Partly because I over exerted myself trying to pass people and the fact that I was too focused and worried about what everyone near me was doing that I didn't totally focus on swimming my own race. But, had I not been asked that question prior to this race, I don't know that I would have ever experienced that panic feeling. Like you said, it's all mental and you just have to overcome it, which you can!

I went to Alum Creek a few times before doing the Wendy's Tri to swim. Each time I went, I swam nearly 4 times the distance I would have to swim during the race. It was reassurance for me to do this. On race day, I had a great swim (to my standards). I had a plan though. My plan was to start in the back of my wave, not worry about what others in my wave were doing, have a nice and steady swim, and it worked out great for me. Without making a concience decision to do so, I performed decent in my wave and even passed several swimmers that started in the wave 3 minutes before mine. That swim was a total confidence booster for me.

My advice (based on my very limited experience) is to swim as much as you can in open water before the race. Like I said above, i recommend doing this in the same body of water where you will be racing. Also, what's nice about Alum Creek, you can swim along the beach in the deeper water, but not be too far from where you will be able to touch. You can start shallow, and when you get more comfortable you can go a little deeper. Before you know it, being able to touch won't be a concern.

As far as swimming in circles, are you referring to not being able to swim in a straight line? Sighting is something to practice as well. It's easy when you're in the pool and you can follow the black line, but in the open water you obviously don't have that benefit. Some people sight every 4,5,7, or however many strokes. I'm not very good at it so I sight about every 3. As far as finding out how to sight, I looked up several videos on youtube. Sounds kind of corny but it's kind of hard to explain to someone on the internet. It's something that you have to really see.

I plan to continue swimming at Alum Creek to stay fresh in the water. I have been going on Saturday mornings. Let me know if you want to go. It's always nice to have someone to swim with. I know several other BT'ers go as well. At any rate, good luck to you. Hopefully some of the more experience folks will weigh in too and offer their advice.

Dan
2009-06-17 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2223260

User image

Expert
Columbus
DLaw - 2009-06-17 2:52 AM
iwhenry - 2009-06-17 12:29 AM Alum Creek tri will be my first tri. I was feeling ok about it until I did my first open water swim about two weeks ago. Now, I am getting a bit nervous. I swim in circles and I found that I get over anxious swimming in open water, especially when I know my feet can't touch bottom. I know it is 80% mental. I have been training for more than three months, but now just want it to be over.

Wayne 

... it's all mental and you just have to overcome it, which you can!

I went to Alum Creek a few times before doing the Wendy's Tri to swim. Each time I went, I swam nearly 4 times the distance I would have to swim during the race. It was reassurance for me to do this. On race day, I had a great swim (to my standards). I had a plan though. My plan was to start in the back of my wave, not worry about what others in my wave were doing, have a nice and steady swim, and it worked out great for me. Without making a conscience decision to do so, I performed decent in my wave and even passed several swimmers that started in the wave 3 minutes before mine. That swim was a total confidence booster for me.

My advice (based on my very limited experience) is to swim as much as you can in open water before the race. Like I said above, i recommend doing this in the same body of water where you will be racing. Also, what's nice about Alum Creek, you can swim along the beach in the deeper water, but not be too far from where you will be able to touch. You can start shallow, and when you get more comfortable you can go a little deeper. Before you know it, being able to touch won't be a concern.

As far as swimming in circles, are you referring to not being able to swim in a straight line? Sighting is something to practice as well. It's easy when you're in the pool and you can follow the black line, but in the open water you obviously don't have that benefit. Some people sight every 4,5,7, or however many strokes. I'm not very good at it so I sight about every 3. As far as finding out how to sight, I looked up several videos on youtube. Sounds kind of corny but it's kind of hard to explain to someone on the internet. It's something that you have to really see.

I plan to continue swimming at Alum Creek to stay fresh in the water. I have been going on Saturday mornings. Let me know if you want to go. It's always nice to have someone to swim with. I know several other BT'ers go as well. At any rate, good luck to you. Hopefully some of the more experience folks will weigh in too and offer their advice.

Dan

Excellent advice.

And as far as lifeguards go - there will be an abundance including ones in kayaks at the deeper points.  Alum is really shalow so almost 2/3 of the swim will be in 6 feet or less water.

it is a triangle - start at the south end of the beach and head 45º to the right.  you head toward a giant yellow (or maybe pink or orange) marker.  turn left around the marker -head north to the next one.  turn left around it and head back to the point where you started.

RUN to T1 (this short run is usually part of your swim time so go hard)

congratulations - next time someone asks about the swim it will be your turn to pass along advice.
2009-06-22 8:42 AM

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I went up to Alum Creek Saturday morning with a friend and have to say the swim was 100% better this time around.  I think we swam about about 3/4 mile or more, but I am a bad judge of the actual distance. Thanks for the offer DLaw to swim with me, but I had family in town all last week and didn't see your post until today. If you continue swimming at AC after this week's tri it would be great to have someone to swim with.

In any case, I am much more comfortable in the water now and will take your words to heart! I am going to look up spotting videos as you suggested. This is an area that I still need work on, and I know it will be a bit more difficult when I don't have the beach as an anchor point.

Can't wait for Sunday. I wish you both well and thank you again!

Wayne

Edited by iwhenry 2009-06-22 8:45 AM
2009-06-23 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Getting my bike tuned up today.  I wanna get in some quality workouts this week while not overdoing it.

I am totally excited about this one.

The biggest loose end I have is childcare.  My wife may need to work.  I was hoping to hang out after the event but I may finish and bolt so I can be home by 9. 

2009-06-24 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
I thought this was a 14 mile race - it is actually less than 13! 

Any final thoughts pre-race anyone? 
2009-06-25 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Good luck Brue!
I know you'll have a great race!

Did you get your child care situation worked out?

David will be there taking pics of me. Our kids are going to be on a sleepover.
2009-06-25 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
I just talked to Amanda.  She is going to come up with the lids to see the finish and make the exchange.  I'll hang out with the kids and anybody else at the park for as long as people wanna stay.  

Of course I wish I started in the first wave because Lily asks why I let so many people beat me when I am not in the top finishers.  

Does the web site have wave launch times?

I think I was in the fourth wave last year.

2009-06-26 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
just did an elevation profile of the course on line

this thing is flat.  the only "hills" are over the first half mile  you gain 150+ ft and a couple miles before the finish you have another 3/4 mile 180 ft climb.  Max elevation change is 2%.

I road this last year totally inexperienced and on an el cheapo bike and flew. I climbed the worst part a couple weeks ago in Wendy's - unless you are on a mountain bike and you are reasonably fit you will fly.
The heat will be your worst enemy.  I have skipped the fluids on the bike in many sprint distance ride but will be using the aero bar bottle with gatorade.

As far as water temp goes, it is now warmer than what is preferable for competition swimming.   Nothin you can do about it but stay cool before starting.  This short of a distance with warm water - you may want to consider skipping the wet suit.

The run course had puddles last year. But unless it rains again before the race we should be OK.
They had a fluid station at the start of the run last year which I think makes more sense than with 1.5 to go. 

bikes had an assigned rack position so it is not crucial to rack first.

they actually had burgers and hot dogs for post race food along with the usual stuff.

Anyone hanging out after the race?  My kids are coming up for the finish and we will stay to eat, swim and play. 
2009-06-27 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
ah so it is 1 am - i probaby should sleep before the race.

good night 

2009-06-28 9:33 PM

Well I did it. My first tri is now a thing of the past. The swim was a bit rougher for me than I hoped but I survived and now think I will be better prepared for the next go 'round. Anxiety set in a bit and at times I swore the buoys were getting farther away. And while my plan to start in the back of my heat was good, I failed to account for the other divisions, including the Olympic folks, in the water. Managed to get kicked pushed and slapped, but I know that is just part of the experience.  I will be more aware of this next time.

The bike is fast. Fun course actually. I did find myself feeling a bit sorry for the folks laboring up the hill before the finish on mountain bikes. Just bought a new bike a month ago and it helped propel me up the hill.

The run seemed longer than 5k. The turnaround seemed like it would never come. Actually felt like the run course was hilly, at least more than I am used to anyway.

Overall, was an amazing experience and I will never forget the feeling of crossing the finish line. I cannot wait for the next one. 

Wayne
2009-06-28 9:35 PM

BTW - When do they post results? My watch battery died and I only a vague idea of how I did. Hope it is soon as I am dying to see how I did!
2009-06-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2249153

User image

Expert
Columbus
results are up!  NOTE use the age group results - the overalls combined T1 and the bike

i had a blast at this race .   got to hang out with david and alice hohl and 3 other non BT friends and my wife and kids made it up just after the race ended.

i got to bed late and then couldn't sleep.  that was pretty much the only thing that went wrong.

i was relaxed, smooth, on course and strong in the swim
i blasted through t1 -only slowing when walkers from earlier waves were in the way.
i kept pushing hard on the bike and was pretty much flying
i cruised through t2 without any problems
the run is my strong suit and this race was no different - just pass people.

i finished 10th overall and 1st in the largest age group.

more importantly I was able to measure performance improvement.  this was my first tri last year.  

the difference and the reasons:

2008 13/190 1:09:02  training + mental attitude
2009 10/225 1:15:48  first tri in a decade - only run training

2008 swim 15:00 too long since swimming in open water
2009 swim 13:24  more training - more determination

2008 t1 2:33 totally lost
2009 t1 0:37 practice and simplification

2008 bike 36:26 -20.5mph 2007/8 schwinn prelude dept. store road bike
2009 bike 33:58 -21.9mph 2008 schwinn prologue tri bike - more training and mental effort

2008 t2 1:04 confused
2009 t2 0:52 yanks laces, practice

2008 run 20:45 had to stop to tie shoes mid run
2009 run 20:13 less run specific training in 09 but great mental effort.

so to make a better triathlete training + practice + mental attitude
2009-06-29 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
whoops - i reversed these
2008 13/190 1:09:02  training + mental attitude
2009 10/225 1:15:48  first tri in a decade - only run training 

should read
2008 13/190 1:15:48  first tri in a decade - only run training
2009 10/225 1:09:02  training + mental attitude

and to note the weather was appx. the same this year. 
2009-06-29 1:04 PM

Fast times Brue. Looks like great improvements were made.

01:35:13 total time for me. 21:19 - swim | 2:43 - T1 | 38:42:00 - bike | 1:52 T2 | 30:39 run  Slow, but I am actually happy with this time for my first time. Here is what I have to work on:

1. Stay focused on swim technique. Too distracted by others, although I thought I was prepared for that. 

2. Faster transitions. Was a little dazed after the swim and intentionally took my time in T1.

3. Push harder on bike. Was unsure about what to leave in the tank for the run and just spun easy during the ride.

4. More run training. Now that I have a base for swimming I can focus more on the run.

5. Better transition prep. Thought I layed stuff out strategically, but found running shoes still tied from last run, bike in high gear and I wasted time with cycling gloves which I had a hard time getting on for some reason (not to mention they are unneccesary).

6. Spend time simulating actual event. The day of Alum Creek was the first time I put it all together. Now that I have the first tri under my belt, I will work more on all three events in one training session.

2009-06-29 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
great job for your first tri

like you said - you know what you need to do for next time.

do this one again next year for your annual check up. 
2009-06-29 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Nice race Brue!!

My race report is up under the Oly section. I had much improved T1 and T2 also!
I also had a smokin' 10K (for me) of 53-something. I didn't think I could run a standalone 10K in much under 55 minutes, but I guess I was wrong! I didn't feel like I was going that fast. Just trying to keep my posture.

You are right about the mental part. Having my stuff together, practicing the transitions, feeling confident and ready to attack were totally key!
2009-06-29 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
great job alice! wow - awesome 10k. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alum Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed