Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 4s
Overall Rank = 220/482
Age Group = 35-39 :(
Age Group Rank = 5/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00...TOTALLY did not sleep well...mind was racing...and my left leg hurt...weird.

Got up, had a heaping tablespoon full of pb, and some water, got dressed and drove over to the parking lot. Was able to fill up tires ok (yaaa! Have had issues with this lately), and checked that the computer was working...all good, so headed over to get my "special" number over at body marking...once they did it, I covered it up, since I was so apprehensive about others seeing it....I'm so not it....and there is a funny story about wanting to stay "hidden" which I will tell you in a second...
Event warmup:

Think I set up my spot in about 3 minutes...thought our transition spot was complete horse poop...why the hezell was it so far away? Why did they make up run up that "hill"...

Ran into FurnaceM3 down by the pool...nice to meet a fellow BT'er...we had a chuckle about the whole race number...good times.

Got the wetsuit on and got in...I was the only one in there...and my warmup lap was awesome...I felt really good, confident, and actually swam pretty good with sighting and all.

Best story of the day, happened here....

So, for those that don't know, I screwed up while filling out the race app online at work, and I inadvertantly think I typed that I could finish the swim in 4 minutes, instead of 7, and because I did that, I was given the bib number of ONE...ya, FIRST!

Anyways, so, at about 6:15, the race director is calling on the microphone for everyone to hear to get out of the pool so that we can start lining up, and she says, so EVERYONE in the area can hear, "And where's Amy? Amy is our #1 swimmer today, so everyone line up behind her."

I absolutely wanted to die...but me and Jonathan (JOWISC) got a HUGE laugh out of it! Think it might have actually made me relax a little because it was really embarrasing!
Swim
  • 05m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

The only reason I had the fastest swim time is because I started first...I can bet my life on that one...this was a GIFT, and just as I am at Christmas, I was VERY grateful!!

TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: 2:47
What would you do differently?:

I still need to NOT get sooo rattled when in a close swim like that...people were all over me on that second loop, and it throws me off and I feel like I really lose time then...but as I've said, I think this just comes with time...and I did notice, that I am getting really good at shrugging this off.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Even though our rack was really far away this year...I did good getting suit off to hips and then getting it down at bike...but like Jonathan said, the timing devices this year were like a home confinement bracelet...seriously, it was HUGE...so it did stick a little, but I don't think it cost me time. I would love my T1 to be in the 1's, but I just can't get it there...

TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: 0:49

Nothing
Bike
  • 45m 44s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I really like this course, and I thought it was almost comical how all of the men were passing me since I started early in the swim...

Pushed it hard this year...made sure to be more towards the front of the seat...so I think that helped.

TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: 3:02

Switching gears from the big ring/small ring still sticks a little bit, so I want someone at Get a Grip to look at...otherwise, nothing.

Oh wait, other weird thing, being that this is a sprint, I don't really eat much of anything while on the bike, but I had the cliff shot blocks and I went to have one, and I normally LOVE these on long rides, and today, it made me gag...totally spit it out...felt a little naseated...
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

My left foot didn't slide as easy into the shoe as it should have and it cost me the 1 second difference over last years T2 time...ha! No, seriously, this transition was fine.

Body gliding the backs of my shoes is a good little trick.

Oh, I also did not have a wardrobe malfuntion with the skirt getting caught on my bike seat like I did last year, so that's good.

TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: +0.1

Nothing....
Run
  • 38m 3s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Not going to waste my time typing comments in here...same old, same old.

These run splits are a complete and total joke.

Never got any sharp pain, but it was there the ENTIRE time...did all the different breathing techniques....never went away...got water at the 2 water stations...by the end, the pain was pretty high.

TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: 1:17

Keep up with my physical therapy and hope this finally gets resolved.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, bagel, more water, massage on stomach, hungout with Jonathan, and met Dave, watched Jonathan's wife Jen finish strong....looked for Annie, Brent, and Benjamin, and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same old, same old!

Event comments:

TOTAL TIME OFF FROM LAST YEAR: 9:28

I love this race....

I love that all my hard work and getting up at 5 in the morning to go to the pool to swim is paying off...

I love that all the long bike rides I did this year have helped my bike endurance and therefore, made me stronger on the bike....3rd place in my AG for the bike...

I love that I was 5th in my age group....

I love that I took over 9 minutes off my time from last year....

I love the time Annie, Brent and Benjamin and I get to spend together for this race since I get to stay at her house...

I loved the attention I got having the number 1 on my bib...since NO ONE was there to cheer me on today, the volunteers did it for me...

I hate that mom isn't here to be that amazing cheerleader she was while I was growing up and doing CC and track...I sure did miss that today...but...

I LOVE that even though my stomach may hurt, and I am not hitting the per mile pace I want...that:

I'm out there busting my butt...having fun and meeting new people...and LOVING every minute of it!

That one was for you Momma cakes....

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:11 | 400 meters | 01m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 38/482
Performance: Good
Suit: L/S Orca of Jen's
Course: A jagged 200 meter loop around the island of the rock quarry...I say jagged, because you are swimming around the "island" of the pool...I think I almost swam into this one piece both times... The ENTIRE back half was so shallow...I swam as far as I could before my hand hit the bottom and then stood up.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:44 | 14.7 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 186/482
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back out west...really nice...except the one road, have to look up the street name, heading back east, and there were tons of cracks in the road and it was getting annoying...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:03 | 04.1 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/25
Overall: 355/482
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 9:08 Mile 2: 9:41 Mile 3: 9:12 Mile 4: 9:55
Course: Loop around the Fox River on path, shaded by trees...really nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2009-06-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2219281

Illinois
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Nice race Amy!  You looked greta startin' everyone off.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you.
2009-06-15 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Nice job.  Congrats on the PR. 

2009-06-15 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hey Amy you're always No. 1 in our books. Nice work out there!!!
2009-06-15 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member

AMAZING race!!  And you handled the #1 seeding like a champ.  I know you've been working hard and really glad that it paid off for you!! 

2009-06-15 9:54 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
DAMN!  Wait, weren't you saying you thought you seeded wrong?  Um...that's freaking fast!  Can I borrow some of that speed?

Awesome race!

2009-06-16 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2220124

User image

Master
Chicago

Sprint_DA - 2009-06-15 9:54 PM DAMN!  Wait, weren't you saying you thought you seeded wrong?  Um...that's freaking fast!  Can I borrow some of that speed?

Awesome race!

Thanks Dan, but this swim is short...I am NOT that fast, as much as I wish I was.  Plus, in this swim, if you are not in towards the front, it's almost impossible to have a good swim time, so my seeding had EVERYTHING to do with that time...AND, being that the back half of the swim you walk it since it's so shallow, the fact that my arms are so short, and I am able to swim more of that than most people, I think that was also an advantage.

Edited by miami9296 2009-06-16 8:13 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed