Holiday Lake Owners Association
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 35/110
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Arrived and found a place to park (not sure if we could park where we did because no one told us where to go). Checked in after some confusion given no direction. Went outside the main building and got numbered up. Luckily there were lines for everything, otherwise I would've had no idea where to go. Got my bike and gear and headed into the transition. Initially it said the transition area was going to be organized by waves, but when I got there no one told me where I should or shouldn't put my stuff and there were no signs saying anything so I found a spot.
Event warmup:

My warmup (or lack thereof) was very poor. I had planned to do a little of everything, practicing my transitions and getting in a warmup bike, run, and swim. But once I had my spot set up, my motivation for doing a warm up went away with the cold damp weather. It would be even more important to warmup in cold weather, but I couldn't get myself to do anything.
Swim
  • 16m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was cold and rainy. The water temp was 70, but it felt like 20. Being cold was my own fault for not having a wet suit, but it was only my second tri. I would've rented one had I known how miserable it would be. Once I got swimming, warmth wasn't as much as an issue. But waiting to start, especially with a 10 minute delay for some late registrants was horrible.
What would you do differently?:

Try harder to swim with the pack from the start. The majority of the group had already passed me by before I really started swimming. I stink at swimming so I need more practice. I swam in consecutive C's, always heading toward the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I didn't wear a wet suit, so I only needed to pull of my goggles and cap while running. I was pleased with my running speed into the transition. I don't think I'll attempt putting my shoes on while on the bike this year, I don't think my shoes are right for it.

Jumping onto the bike. I practiced this and was comfortable doing it. But when the time came I hesitated. Also need to practice doing everything while being more out of breath.
Bike
  • 56m 31s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming in and out of the main park was a little scary. The road had a little gravel scattered across the surface and coming in and out of the park required corning on the surface after coming off of a downhill. There was also an auction going on at a home on the route. Several cyclists had to deal with cars pulling out in front of them.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Didn't take my feet out of my shoes, even though I practiced it and was comfortable doing it. Talked myself out of that and jumping off my bike while moving. Almost forgot my number belt.

Stick to what I've practiced, get my feet out of my shoes and hop off the bike.
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't feeling to strong throughout the triathlon and the run was no exception. Almost considered walking up some of the hills. The course was the same gravel type road that we had to ride out/in the park on our bikes. Scary on the bike, scary heading down a steep hill after 2 inches of rain the night before.

Suck it up and pick up my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some goodies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'd like to think the weather had a role in my mentality. I went into the race wanted to perform very well. By the time the swim started, I was more interested in just getting it over with.

Event comments:

This is only my second tri, and it's the first time this race has been done. But I still had an overwhelming feel of lack of organization and direction. Not a fan of that gravel type surface, didn't feel like I could trust it.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:18 | 600 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 87/110
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: "Straight" out and back. I say "straight" because the buoys kept drifting left and right. The last buoy floated around dramatically.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:31 | 18 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 26/110
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back between two towns. Nice rolling hills with one large hill near the turnaround. Nothing too steep, decent amount of flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:55 | 03.5 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 43/110
Performance: Bad
Course: Very very hilly. I wasn't so much the size of the hills as it was the steepness and frequency of them. My brother had described it as a roller coaster, and that's an accurate description. The most difficult run I've ever done.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No