General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic lights and bike leg of sprint tri??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 6:26 PM

New user

Subject: Traffic lights and bike leg of sprint tri???
Hi every one, long time lurker first time poster.
My wife and I have been training for our first tri in Columbus on July 18th. However both of our fitness came along faster than expected and as a result we have moved our first tri date to this weekend. After driving up and inspecting the course we noticed a few things that concerned us that we just couldn't find the answer to concerning the bike portion.
The roads that are mapped out for the bike seem to be very congested with little or no shoulder and there are three busy intersections with traffic lights on the course two intersections are five ways.
I know we are to obey all traffic laws but should I expect traffic to be diverted? I feel that it would be extremely difficult to pass or be passed on the narrow roads with traffic on both sides and it would be soul crushing if I got caught at one of those five minute red lights. As busy as these roads and intersections seem I found it hard to believe that they would be able to close them even for a short while on a Sunday morning.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

2009-06-15 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2219682

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Traffic lights and bike leg of sprint tri???
I know that the triathlon my hometown hosts diverts traffic for the bikers during the triathlon, I'm assuming it'll be the same.
2009-06-15 6:33 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
If they can't close all the roads, they will most likely give racers the right of way at all intersections.
2009-06-15 6:40 PM

New user

Thank you. That should bring my HR down a little.
2009-06-15 6:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Normally races on open courses (roads not closed to public traffic) will use local police and volunteers to direct traffic at intersections so that bikers can always blow right through without slowing down.

2009-06-15 6:52 PM

User image

Medford, NJ
I wouldn't assume. Read the event's website and don't hesitate to put the name of the event on BT so others can give you their experience from past years. You'd be surprised how busy the roads are on some events. It gets worse when there is poor traffic control and motorist get frustrated trying to pass 100 people on bicycles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic lights and bike leg of sprint tri??? Rss Feed