NYCswim.org
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 58s
Overall Rank = 2/150
Age Group = F overall
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Felt really sluggish in the morning and the race didn't start till after 12...sat around chatted with my parents who came to watch and was just mellow. My back has been killing me all week -so I decided that I was just going to do this race for practice and not push it. Luckily, it doesn't hurt to move around, just sit or lie down. This has been making me exceptionally tired since I can't sleep well because of the pain :(
Event warmup:

Talked to some gals in line for the jump in then swam out to the start area.
Swim
  • 43m 58s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

So started out with what I thought was the lead pack and got into a nice easy rhythm while drafting off two guys after we rounded the first buoy. Then I noticed at least one other swimmer who clearly did not round the first buoy up in front so after about 10 min of swimming went out to chase them. Caught this person just before the second buoy and AGAIN -they didn't round the buoy. A kayaker tried to tell them to go round but they kept on swimming as I lost about 20 feet by actually going around the buoy. I got so POed I yelled -"They're cheating" and the kayaker told me "I know-just keep going and you'll beat them!" So, after going fairly easy I decided that this cheater was not going to beat me. I read the course to the last buoy well and got a great line into the finish -though almost blew it when I forgot we didn't need to round the last buoy and overshot the finish by about 15 yards. Luckily I had enough of a lead on this person that I still finished about 5 sec ahead of them. Penny Palfrey ended up crushing everyone (hey-she won round Manhattan the last 3 years and is an OW legend) and I came in second. Little miss cheater came in third. All of us beat the guys though!
What would you do differently?:

I am not sure I want to do this series anymore if they don't penalize people for not swimming the stated course. This is the second time in two races that people have decided rounding the buoys is optional and it's getting really frustrating. Either state that the buoys are navigation guides or regulate the course. Luckily, this time it didn't effect my place (though it may have effected 4th or 5th).
Post race
Warm down:

food and stretching, cheering on finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much

Event comments:

Not sure I will do this series again till they can regulate the course or clearly state buoys are for navigation only.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:58 | 3520 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/150
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: 2 miles up river. Only three buoys. Supposed to go around the first two and aim for the last before turning into shore...more on that later.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: Park to Park Swim

2009-06-15 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2219694

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Park to Park Swim

Awesome race teammate!! Congrats on kicking the cheater's butt, not to mention ALL the guys!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Park to Park Swim Rss Feed