Tri Sition Area and Sidel Productions
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 36s
Overall Rank = 19/270
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/24
Pre-race routine:

Goal times were unrealistic for conditions and distances were not as published. Woke at 445, ensure toast coffee and a bottle of acceleraid for the road. Stacey and I were driving at 520 and on site at 620 after driving the bike course. Short jog, walk around the area ready to go very early. Rack was 10' from bike out. Thought that was a good idea at the time. Definitely helped with the fast T2 time.
Event warmup:

Short jog and stretching
Swim
  • 05m 3s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Caught people the entire way. The lake was very muddy so visibility was almost non-existent. The visibility hurt most peoples swim so I took advantage of it. I was 183 into the lake.
What would you do differently?:

Adjust the strap on my HR monitor. Shortly into the swim it drifted off my chest. HR was intermittent on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

First race this year that I didn't drop something. Finally! Almost turfed it attempting to mount the bike. The T1 area was a clay dust and stuck to anything wet. My feet were coated when I got to my bike. Fiddled with my Garmin and lost a few secs. Finally got serious and got glasses, helmet and bike under control. Tried to wipe the feet exiting T1 and ran to the mount line, That is where the fun begins. Line was in a narrow portion of curved and by now congested pavement. Tried to weave my way around people and do a flying leap. Would have worked great if I had been aiming for my pedal, wasn't! Landed on my back wheel and nearly went down. Weaved around another person and mounted more traditionally. Wrong gear!!!!! Ended up in the gravel for 20" and somehow didn't flat or crash. Thank you God!!!! Took a long time getting feet into shoes because the bike lane was sooooo narrow and the people in front of me didn't know what blocking was. Need an official over here. finally got clear and Velcrod in. Ok T1 POOR mount!

Take a split second to check gearing and mount more slowly with the cakes of mud on my feet
Bike
  • 37m 43s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

After the mount incident I got it together for the ride. Headwind on the way out was brutal and the steep hill was not fun at all (on the way out). Serious amounts of people to catch pass and ride away from. Passed by 3 total (including a fellow AFCT member named Bill) but none in my age group. Mount cost me 4 overall positions!

Again watch how you mount!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

OK T2 was much better than T1. No wasted time or effort. Approaching I passed 8 bikes. Everyone was slowing down and taking their time. Dismounted on the run and did a quick carry (20') to my rack. Rt sock and shoe on helmet off left sock and shoe on pick up race belt and towel and run.

It was a good T2, next time helmet first then socks/shoes.
Run
  • 15m 33s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

It got hot fast. Passed by 2 (1 female 1 in my AG) in the first .25 miles. Passed a handful but never that guy in my AG. (he was 3d in the group) Negative split the run but because my Garmin doesn't have multi sport mode I only have 1 lap for this run.

Run harder, till I puke. In a race this short it is all or nothing the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around drinking for a few minutes. Talked with Drew and Spence till I took a bottle to Stacey. Met Jamie in tran when I was taking my bike out. He was tired but glad to have finished his first Tir.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still dropping weight. Did my PT test on Thursday. Training this week was poor at best. No bike since Sunday no swim since Monday. Nothing on Wed or Fri. This was a C race for me because of the PT test and the suposed long training week, yah right.

Event comments:

Great venue with incredible potential. If they have the race here next year it could be amazing. Marco and Nick did a great job putting on the race. What could be better.... Need to have a larger quantity of food, can't run out early. Close transition and then keep it closed. The race started late because the timing system was having issues when they tested it. If they had actually closed trans on time testing would have been done earlier and we would have started on time. Need to lay out the mount dismount lines in a larger area. I would rather have run my bike another 20 yards to be on a wider portion of road.

Last updated: 2009-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:03 | 300 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 2/270
Performance: Good
Suit: No wet suit
Course: Out to a buoy then rt, down and back in a private ski lake. TT start by AG, mostly.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:43 | 12.5 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 27/270
Performance: Good
2 mile splits 6:33 (18.3) , 6:46 (17.7), 6:08 (19.5), 5:13 (23), 5:33 (21.6), 5:06 (23.5) HR data not accurate
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back with a few hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good