Columbia Triathlon Association
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = 310/1544
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/125
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3AM, got a shower, had some coffee and 2 rice cakes. Headed to the course which was about 30 miles away. Ate my breakfast about 4:45AM, had a multi-grain bagel with peanut butter and honey. Then headed to transition to begin setting up.
Event warmup:

I was able to get in the water near the swim finish and got in about a 10 minute warm up. The water felt nice and at the time was very calm, which was not the case during the actual race.
Swim
  • 28m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

My best swim at this distance! I felt great in the water. Started out in the front and about 100M got bumped around a bit and passed by lots of swimmers. However, I know that most swimmers go out too fast and I eventually catch them mid-way through the swim, which was the case today. I sighted great and was able to stay in line with the buoy's and make all the turns very tight. The last turn headed towards the finish was very choppy, I think it was due to the many swimmers from earlier age groups that still were finishing and then our age group arrived and the chop was more intense.
What would you do differently?:

Because this was my best swim at this distance I have no complaints. But I will continue to make improvements and can't wait for my 3 session clinic with Clay Britt starting in 2 weeks!
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Only problem I had was with my bike. I had to move my aero bottle around a bit so that I could rack my bike, so when it was time for transition it took me extra time to readjust it before I started to head out to the bike course.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.19 mile/hr
Comments:

First 30-40 miles felt fast and flat. Kept my cadence around 85-90 the entire ride. Then mile 40 hit and the headwind was strong. I changed down to easier gears and just tried to increase cadence without trying to fight the wind. I did the best I could. Then mile 45 hit and it was DISASTER!!! Some lady lost control of her bike while trying to grab a water at the aid station and I was passing her on the left she turned her front wheel right into my bike! The collision knocked me down and I landed on my right elbow/shoulder. I was banged up with big bruises and scrapes and luckily the medics were there to put some alcohol and bandages on me. I really didn't care about me so much as I did my bike. My bike made it through the wreck without much damage at all, just have to regrip my right side handle bar. Thank God!!! After about 5-6 minutes of settling down I regrouped and told the official that I was going to continue. I did fine the last 16 miles but mentally it was tough. But I didn't come all this way not to finish!!

I have now learned that when approaching an aid station to be more aware and stay WIDE away from all of the traffic.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I took this slow and was talking to a friend, Ricardo, who was there near my transition area cheering me on. He asked me what happened so I took a few extra seconds explaining the wreck to him.

In normal circumstances I would have been faster, this was an exception today.
Run
  • 1h 48m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out great. The first few miles felt great and every mile was under 8:00. Then I got to about mile 5, made a pit stop in the port-o-pot which took about 50-sec (I was watching my watch hoping it wouldn't take up too much time but I had to pee soooo bad!). After mile 6 is where I slowed down alot. I tried so hard mentally to make a few notes in my head to finish strong at certain mile markers, but when those came I had nothing in me. I did hydrate very well, took my Liquid Shot every other mile, and poured ice all over me each aid station. That felt phenomenal!

Put in more run volume in training. Most bricks I do I usually only run about 5-6 miles or I cut short my planned long runs on the weekends. I need to add some length to those to feel the effects of longer runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Took in some water, and then went over to the swim finish area and cooled down the legs a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of running volume during training.

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/125
Overall: 124/1544
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2 Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Clockwise, rectangular.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:32 | 56 miles | 21.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/125
Overall: 374/1544
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:48:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/125
Overall: 402/1544
Course: Flat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 7:17 PM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-15 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2219772

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-15 8:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Glad that you avoided near disaster and that you and your bike are OK.
2009-06-15 10:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow you had an amazing race especially considering what happened

2009-06-19 9:03 PM

Helluva bike spli considering what happened!! 

2009-06-19 9:17 PM

Regular
Frederick Maryland
you got to turn me on to those swim clincs. 

great race.  gotta suck no getting sub 5 with the wreck....but it won't matter next year when you go under 4:45

see you at the Y.    Charlie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed