General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM N00b: coach or no coach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: IM N00b: coach or no coach?
I'm gonna be signing up for IMLP 2010, so I've got some time to decide on this, but I wanted to pick your brains.

For an IM, would you recommend a coach or just get a good training program and going it alone?

I've done several sprints, a few Oly's, one HIM, one century (doing another in August), two half marathons and two full marathons (whew--that's my tri/endurance career in a nutshell). I've trained all of them alone, because...well, I like the solitude of training. I remember HIM training was a little lonely, but I was ok with that, too--in fact, the idea of joining a tri team is not very appealing to me at all because of that.

But IM seems like a different animal and I feel like I see a lot of people on BT who have coaches.

What would you recommend? Are there any significant benefits to having a coach for IM for someone who's not just looking to "just finish" but also isn't hell bent on PR'ing either? If you did have a coach, what did you find was most helpful? Training sessions? Nutritional guidance? Something else? Would an "IM for Dummies" book be enough?

Your thoughts/opinions/etc. appreciated.

Oh! ETA: I've used the training programs on BT for my races--and I still use them and intend to use them in the future, though I tweak them a bit since I've gotten more experienced.

Edited by swishyskirt 2009-06-15 9:04 PM

2009-06-16 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2219993

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL
Subject: RE: IM N00b: coach or no coach?

I've done 7 IMs, plus numerous HIMs, marathons, ultramarathons...never had a coach.  IMO there is SO much useful advice, training plans, articles, books, etc, etc, etc, available on the web that you can easily figure out how to go about doing an IM without the need for a coach.  If you're up for doing a bit of reading and research, and putting together a training plan that works for you, there's no reason you need to pay a coach to achieve this goal.

If you were hoping to truly achieve your maximum potential, maybe striving for a Kona slot, then I'd say a coach may very well help you get the most out of your training.  But, from your description, I'd say you can do fine for yourself sans coach.

Good luck!

2009-06-16 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
guess it would depend on what you need it for - motivation or knowledge.
sounds like you got the motivation to do it on your own and have a fair amount of knowledge about the sport - I guess there is always room to learn more, tweak form here or there but don't know how much you'd be willing to pay for that. is there a portion of the ironman that truly scares you? then maybe a coach is a must but in my very humble iron-virgin self coaching opinion a coach is not mandatory

MTA: also what kinda of coach are talking about? a internet coach or real world (even then there are different options)

Edited by Joe_h 2009-06-16 9:03 AM
2009-06-16 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I'll be able to speak more knowledgeably about this around about 7pm or so on August 1 (I hope), but my attitudes about training are pretty much the same as the OP's and I've gotten through 3 marys and 2 HIMs with no coach or published training plan and I'm hopeful I'll have a successful outcome at my first IM taking the same approach.  As another poster already said, there is a wealth of information out there to allow for an informed approach to training.  Part of the appeal of endurance sports for me isn't just how I perform athletically, but also taking on the mental and logistical challenge of getting to the starting line healthy and prepared.  I might have a better result with a coach, but I know part of me would be second guessing not only the expense, but the decision not to take on the challenge.  That's just me, though.  Obviously a lot of people want and benefit from a "partner" in the process of preparing for an IM.
2009-06-16 1:14 PM

User image

I went 4 seasons, sprint to Oly to HIM to HIM/IM without a coach, and think I did just fine.  There were times when I had to figure stuff out myself, and had to juggle a lot of changes, and probably overdid some things, but it all worked out. 

But, this season I hired a coach because now I want to get better at running, and specifically, go back to IM next season and have a good run.
2009-06-16 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I had a coach. I didn't trust myself to know if a plan was right or not... if it would get me to the finish line. I had too much riding on it (Entry fee, 7 people traveling from Texas to Kentucky to watch me, hotel room, rental car, etc.) to go into the race thinking, "Did I train properly to finish this?".

When I went to the starting line, I knew I was trained and ready to go. No doubts.

That piece of mind was worth every penny I spent on my coach ($125 for 9 months).

2009-06-16 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Depends....how well can you self-direct??  If you can soak up knowledge, make good personal choices, have some access to experienced IM folks, and have a decent grasp of the mental and nutritional side of long distance racing then a coach is not really needed....a good coach can help but you can get it done on your own.

Now, I was fortunate enough to have a coach for my first IM.....and it DID help me!  I didn't have any chances to do "what I feel like" on a given day....coach gave me the plan and I executed the training and it lead to a nice relaxing IM where I raced well within myself and thoroughly enjoyed my experience....to this day I use the basis of the same plan but have added my own refinements over the years.  A coach can be a drag if you do not take direction well or are not commited to sticking to the plan as written.  I personally ask my athletes to complete at least 90% of the plan as written or let me know what they've missed since sometimes the key workout is something that needs to be made up at a later date.....

So, the short answer is either way is okay but like in so many things in triathlon only you can truly answer the question.........

Paul
2009-06-16 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I say the coach is well worth it. Since I work full time, it was nice to not have the added responsibility of planning out my weeks. Because there is so much to take into mind... build, recovery, rest, build, etc. In addition to this, I raced during my training period. Trying to figure all that and fit it in would be too much.

Having a coach was nice... we did little on site type coaching... I participated in a swim class with her for 4 months, that was about it. But her feedback on my training and what speeds and paces to target based on my ability and fitness were very worthwhile. I managed to get to taper uninjured.

And then I crashed and broke my collarbone 10 days prior to IMCDA08. That's when having a coach really paid off. I was able to move my charity registration to IMWI08 and she worked with my ortho(who is a triathlete she coaches) on what I could do and couldn't do to maintain fitness and get me ready for the race, which was 12 weeks 3 days after my crash. 1.5 weeks after my crash, I was swimming doing 2000 meters of one armed drills and kicking.

My swim ended up only being about 5 minutes slower than I predicted pre-crash. And my overall performance was within about :30 of my best case scenario prior to crashing. I had the priveledge of racing with her during my first IM and I can't tell you what a boost that was to see her on the run course and have her offer me instant advice. And it was nice that she came back out on the course to find me and ran with me almost to the end.

In my mind my coach was invaluable. Could I have done it without her? I'm sure I could have. Would it have been as smooth and fun? No way.
2009-06-17 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm doing it coachless (except for a swim coach whom I meet every 2 weeks or so, but she doesn't make plans for me or anything; just coaching for an hour), though I spend a LOT of time reading everything I can get my hands on about training principles, etc...

I will probably eventually get a coach.

But:  I don't think that having a coach means you have to give up solitary training.  I also love the solitary training -- I almost never train with anybody else, and I don't think that having a coach would change that.
2009-06-25 5:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA

OK, slight different take on the question. For the first IM would you spend the money on a coach or a powertap?
2009-06-25 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2241642

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

swiss tri - 2009-06-25 5:34 AM OK, slight different take on the question. For the first IM would you spend the money on a coach or a powertap?

IMO, a good coach is more effective.  The PM is a great tool.  I had both a coach and a PM, but if it were one or the other, I would go with the knowledge and expertise of the coach.  However, if you think you know enough to put together your training and learn how to properly train with a PM, then go for it.

2009-06-25 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2241642

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
swiss tri - 2009-06-25 7:34 AM

OK, slight different take on the question. For the first IM would you spend the money on a coach or a powertap?

If you are trying to decide, what I would do is read something like the attached file (or Power Training for Triathletes or Training and Racing with a Powermeter but this is free ).

If approaching your training using the principles described is something that you want/are willing to do then go with a PM.  If however, you have no desire to structure your training based on the PM info, it is little more than another number (like HR, speed, etc).

ETA - too big, couldn't attach.  Here's the link: http://www.freewebs.com/velodynamics2/rcgtp1.pdf

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2009-06-25 8:39 AM
2009-06-25 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I'm just going to chime in with my two cents here...

I've trained for events and what not on my own and have second-guessed myself going into taper...did I do too much? have I done too little? And then there's a thousand questions racing through my head.

I have a local coach, who is pretty pricey, but worth it for me. I don't do ANY guess work. I know what he's having me do is giving me everything I need to get to the start line of IMAZ. I trust that the training will take me to the finish. When I have questions or freak out over a bad ride or failed nutrition, he we look at the problem together and he's able to help me figure out what went wrong. Being able to pick up the phone is key for me with any questions day or night.

Essentially, I'm working with a coach to simply have peace of mind going into the race. I'm not sure I trust myself enough to successfully follow a pre-determined plan that may be above or below my current abilities.
2009-06-25 10:03 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Thanks for posting this swishyskirt... I'm having the exact same questions.

Who has "coached themselves" - as in made their own custom plan? How'd it go?

I ask because I've heard that resources like the Triathlete's Training Bible (which I have, but haven't read yet) give you the knowledge and tools to put together your own custom training plan, much like a coach would do for you. Just wondering if anyone has taken this approach and how it worked out for them.

2009-06-25 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2242281

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

lisac957 - 2009-06-25 10:03 AM Thanks for posting this swishyskirt... I'm having the exact same questions.

Who has "coached themselves" - as in made their own custom plan? How'd it go?

I ask because I've heard that resources like the Triathlete's Training Bible (which I have, but haven't read yet) give you the knowledge and tools to put together your own custom training plan, much like a coach would do for you. Just wondering if anyone has taken this approach and how it worked out for them.

There are tons of decent plans out there IMO.  I used a BT plan and tweaked according to life schedule and what not.  If you do the work most plans throw out there, you will be fine.  I would think the pros to having a coach would be input on when to scrap a workout or tweak something due to injury or life schedule, but if you adhere to concepts of hitting the key workouts most decent plans have, a coach may not be necessary.

2009-06-25 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I've used a coach for both my IMs. I would not want to do it on my own. The objective view of my training from someone who knows far more than me is peace of mind.   They make the decisions and takes the emotions out of it. The coach I'm working with this year only works with long distance triathletes and has a system that is quite different than what I have done in the past.  I'm not tired like I used to be last year most of the time.

He gives me a race plan which makes it easy in the sense that I just do what he suggests so on race day I just execute it.

Cost of coach to me is small compared to the total cost of doing an IM as he will get me to the starting line ready to go. Coaches vary in cost and there are many under $150/month.

2009-06-25 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
I didn't use a coach on my first and probably won't on my second either.  I felt like I could get a plan and be able to follow it pretty closely.  That with the advise I got here was perfect.  I used 'Be Iron Fit" which had 3 plans based on how competitive you wanted to be.  As you said you've got some time so I'd pick up a few books and plans and compare them and see if that's the route you wanted to go. I will say for me, $ was a concern so a $20 book was a lot cheaper than a coach.  If I had the extra cash, I might have considered a coach.  Good luck!
2009-06-25 4:33 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
I posted the following on another thread:

"A good coach will create a training plan specific for your needs (fitness, goals, limiters, nutrition, recovery rate, potential, other life priorities, psychology, etc) and adjust it as you move along to maximize training gains and create the optimal load to help you achieve peak performance. A general plan doesn't address or considers your specific needs and it is not adjusted to match your improvements or overload (i.e. a general plan doesn't adjust when you get sick, stressed from life, have a family issue, too much work etc.). A general plan will help you improve since the biggest limiters for most AGers is time availability, consistency and fitness hence as long as you are consistent a plan will help, however a good coach will get you to improve much faster and your chances for injury will be lower."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM N00b: coach or no coach? Rss Feed