TimeOut Productions!
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 7s
Overall Rank = 97/847
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/59
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5AM, bagel immediately, coffee shortly thereafter. Helped my two first timer buddies out of the hotel. We had everything packed and were at the course nice and early. The main routine was really just bagel about 2 hours before the start, a GU 15 minutes before start, and an easy bike warm up, and not much of a swim warm up. This time some of the morning was spent making sure my buddies were set up in transition and warmed up sufficiently. Got to hang out with Josh for a few minutes here and there but not as much as I would have liked. I was a little frantic with making sure my buddies were cool and had a sprint to the bathroom about 7 minutes before my wave started (or was supposed to start anyway).
Event warmup:

Biked the run course and stop reading:

Ran from the swim start with 7 minutes left to the bathroom, a set of 1 rep squats, and back through the sand for a 25 yard swim warm up, run to age group start. Begin reading again :)
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad swim. The distance is wrong. I had poor form, no drafting, and terrible navigation. I think the form was due to poor navigation. I never had a chance to feel comfy and just swim. I was always adjusting. I was never close to a buoy. I need to get a ton more OWSs.
What would you do differently?:

More OWSs.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

This was a good transition. The time seems bad but it was due to a longer beach run. I got out of wetsuit and into helmet and shoes very quicly with a nice run to the mount line, or as I misspoke according to my buddies, the "mountain lion".

Really, only start in shoes which I won't be doing for a while.
Bike
  • 29m 36s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was actually a 10.2 so the pace was 20.68. I'm happy with this bike. I've been doing a little more long course training for Timberman so I think I could have done even better but I am happy. I had to coast behind someone on a hybrid in the single file line for quite a while as well, so I was really about 21mph. She was really cool about it and told me to pass but I didn't want to get a penalty which I explained. She was visibly stressed out by me behind her so I just told her she was doing great and that I hoped she was having fun today.

Train more for speed. But, I am more worried about doing well at Timberman, so nothing really.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Very happy with this transition. I wish this race kept track of everyone's times. I had my shoes off prior to the dismountain lion easily, ran with bike, helmet off easily, new Zoot shoes on (no socks) very very easily, grab race belt, and off I went.

Nothing really, I ran out of transition at the pace I wanted on the run so no premature heart spike (or lull).
Run
  • 25m 50s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a good run but not good enough. The course was actually 3.76 so the pace was 6:52. I recently ran a 5k that I was pretty happy with at a 6:48 so I can't complain. But, if I am going to be anywhere near an age group contender I need to be at 6:20 or so. I know I can get there for a sprint. Pretty soon I hope.

Train more for speed. Again, I've been concentrating on a hybrid of sprint and Timberman type distances. So, if I wanted this to be a real A race training should have been different.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a while waiting for buddies. They did really well. One, a clydesdale, was 13th overall for clydes. First time with a poor swim and run. He's a strong biker naturally since he finished about 250 with only training for a total of 3 months with no prior experience. The other had a poor swim, used a mountain bike, and still finished in the lower middle of his age group (25-29). He had a nice run. They did so well for their first race and really enjoyed it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Half arsed sprint training and a bad swim.

Event comments:

Great event. Beautiful course. I didn't get top ten age group goal. I swam poorly, had a good bike (but needs to be 1-2 mph faster, an ok run that needs to be much faster, and pretty good transitions.

Last updated: 2009-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 450 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 360/847
Performance: Below average
Suit: crappy kayak wetsuit
Course: long horizontal. This is usually a normal square but they changed it due to cold water. The water really wasn't that bad. So, this change added about a 1 minute run in the sand to transition. Whatever, same course for everyone.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:36 | 10 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Overall: 100/847
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A nice, easy, mostly flat, some rollers, net downhill course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:50 | 03.5 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 91/847
Performance: Average
Course: Lollipop. Up hill first mile, flat next 1.5, and flat last mile or so.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-16 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2220146

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon
Great job Rob!

I think warming up in the water would help.  OWS with current is not easy.  I would say you did well. 
You complain about a long T1?  See how long the transitions of my last race was? 8 effing minutes just for T1!
Glad you had fun. 
2009-06-16 9:30 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
awesome race Rob!

so how fast are you when you're fast at the swim?  your pace looked pretty darn good to me

2009-06-16 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
good job!!! your swim was pretty dang fast for it being not so good in your mind!!!!
and your bike has really improved from last year!!!

you are going to be a beast at Timberman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed