World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 30m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We went to breakfast and ate french toast and eggs and bacon then went back to our trailer to get stuff packed then headed into town to drop off T2 bag then waited for the shuttle ride up to the race start.
Event warmup:

Got to the lake and staged T1 then everyone had to leave the T1 area 15 minutes before the race started. We were not allowed in the water until your wave was called to the starting gate. The pro men started at 2:00 pro women at 2:02 Then the first age group started at 2:05 then every 5 minutes another group started I was in the 12th group
Swim
  • 43m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

About 20 minutes after the pro's started the wind picked up and you could see the lake starting to get choppy 10 minutes later it was white caps.
When my wave started the lake was really rolling and I had a hell of a time sighting and I kept getting blown off course (at least thats what I think was happening)The bouy's kept getting further and further to my right this was between turns 1 & 2 the back side went by quickly then on the home stretch I going to the right and the bouys ended up on my left and a kind kayaker directed back to the course ( I told him I liked swimming extra distance's during a race he laughed).When I got out of the water the time clock read 1:29:59 so what do I do I walk up to T1 fumbling with my wetsuit zippers and when I get to the top of the hill I realize I have not crossed the chip mat yet I can not believe the walk took 3;10 to get to T1 what the hell was I doing I Should have ran up the hill and not worried about my wetsuit. ( I'm thinking I swam an extra 3-400 yards out there because of pour sighting).
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting in choppy water, more drafting,running out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

This went pretty smooth the only rough part was running bare foot for 200 yards on rocky cement to the bike mount point.You also could not leave anything on the ground except for your T1 bag so I made sure it was tied up before leaving.

Be quicker at putting things together like suit off hat on.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I jumped on the bike and started to peddle my right hamstring cramped up and I was so glad we went down hill for a couple of miles so I could rub it out.I did not hit any rain untill mile 10 and it was coming down hard then turned into hail for a bit,the road had a lot of standing water on it plus running water from time to time.Did not have a problem with wind until mile 32 right when you startedto go up the long hill it was not steep but I think it was 10 miles long add 20+ mph wind's and it turns into a grunt.It rained a few more times just to make sure everyone was good and soaked.By the time I reached T2 I was shaking tired and had to use the head bad.

I think I poured everything I had into that other then more speed work that'a all I had to give.
Transition 2
  • 07m 19s
Comments:

I was shaking so bad I could not get my sock's on my feet when I did I struggled with my shoes next,again you could not leave anything on the ground so I stuffed everything into the red bag and hung it on the bike then ran for the nearest outhouse which took for ever to clear for me to use.

Maybe find shoes that I don't need to wear socks in or put sock on after the swim.
Run
  • 2h 27m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started good there was a lot of water on the trail at mile 3 there was a group of people going around a puddle one direction so I went the other and ended up stepping wrong and buckling my knee backwards,I tried just running it out but it was throwing my form off and my legs started to cramp so I would walk a little then run for awhile soon it was walk for awhile run a little but I did run through the finnish line.

Watch my step and take my time I'm not out to win these damn thing's just to have fun.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finnish line I got wrapped in one of those cool silver blankys thats when I realized I was sopping wet and freezing my ass off I could barly walk with my knee screaming at me and I could not stop smiling because I did it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training in really crappy weather. It's just much easyer to stay inside when it's pouring rain, windy and oh ya did I mention there was also lighting woohoo.

Event comments:

I have to say this was one of the hardest things I have ever done and I'm almost ready to do it again does that make me mental, I hope so.

Last updated: 2008-11-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:10 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Pro motion
Course: 1 clockwise lap around the reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:09 | 56 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: From lucky peak out into the country side then into downtown Boise.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:27:25 | 13.1 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops on the Greenbelt in downtown Boise
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 10:26 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2009-06-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2220196

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Awesome job out there. I think I am also mental because I want to do it again as well in spite of the pouring rain, hail and lightning.
2009-06-16 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Great job!  I hope the knee is ok.  I worried a lot about those puddles.  You just don't know how deep the water is in them.  Way to stick it out with a hurting knee.  I am thinking about hitting this one again in a couple years also, hopefully when it is dry.  A morning start would have so rocked, even if it were like 10 am or something.  I signed up for CDA after the race, so I won't be doing this one next year.  Maybe a Fall HIM though.
2009-06-16 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Great race!  Funny you mentioned:

Maybe find shoes that I don't need to wear socks in or put sock on after the swim.

I was SO HAPPY I put socks before the bike and kept them on for the run.  I recently started racing in Zoot shoes.  Give em' a try.  Easy transitions!

Again good job fighting through the conditions.  Hopefully the knee is ok! 

Thank you and everyone else that welcomed us to Boise!  It is a great city and the volunteers were OUTSTANDING!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-06-16 7:13 PM
2009-06-17 12:13 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

YOU FRIGGIN' ROCK!

2009-06-17 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awesome Job, Gary!!!  I hope your knee is healing...when did you say your next one was?!

2009-06-29 7:15 PM

User image

New user

Great job! Way to push through after the knee injury. I hope it heals quickly for you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed