Troutdale, Oregon
United States
AA sports
Total Time = 3h 02m 9s
Overall Rank = 379/444
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

We forgot to set our alarm the night before, so I woke up 5 minutes prior to when I wanted to leave the house. Ran around, packed my gear, made coffee, and rushed to the event. After setting up transition, I found Dave who I was racing for bragging rights, among other things. Did lots of smack-talking with him.
Event warmup:

Nada. Except for more smack-talking.
Swim
  • 33m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Crap.Ass.Swim. Seriously, I need to get to the pool more often. This was downright embarassing. Worst OWS I've had so far and not where I need to be in my prep for IMAZ. It was a good eye-opener though.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in a straight line. Draft off someone, something, anything. Swim FASTER. Not get mowed over by people 3 waves behind me. You get the picture.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I came out of the water and our cheering crew let me know that Dave came out of the water 6 minutes ahead. Ah, crud. Transition went smoothly except for forgetting to unzip the ankles on my wetsuit. Duh.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pissed from the poor swim performance and was determined to make up as much ground on Dave as I could. So I hammered. But my HR actually settled down and I got into a nice groove. I *heart* the bike. :-) At around mile 8 I was passing a bunch of people and turned to say something encouraging to a dude I was dusting...and realized it was Dave! Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

I'm really happy with this. All the recent time on the bike is paying off.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

The look on everyone's faces as I came screaming in ahead of Dave was priceless. At this point I was 5 minutes ahead of him.
Run
  • 1h 10m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My running is mediocre, at best. I did what I could. Tried to work on my form and breathing and use it as a training run. My left foot kept falling asleep. It does this in triathlons only...not in training, not in road races. Wish I could figure this one out.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a happy dance while waiting for Dave to finish. He finally came through 23 minutes later. Yay!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My goal was 03:05:00; my stretch goal was 03:00:00. I'm mad at myself for getting so far behind on my swim training. This was good for me to see where I stand in the three disciplines and where I need be spending more of my time. I had so much fun and racing against a friend made it really entertaining...for us as well as those who came out to watch us.

Event comments:

I've been pretty happy with the events at Blue Lake, but this time I wasn't so impressed. About 1.5 weeks before the event I wanted to change my entry from AG to Athena so that Dave and I could start in the same wave. I emailed and received a confirmation. At packet pickup it still wasn't changed so I changed it again. The next day it still wasn't changed so I emailed again. Then they still managed to mess up my finish time. I fixed it onsite and it was STILL messed up later on. I also noticed that numerous other people were given the wrong color swim caps, so there was mass confusion at the start trying to get people into the correct waves. To top it all off, they are "going green" and no longer give out finishers medals, yet for $80 they only give you a crappy $5 tshirt. Overall, they still put on a decent show, but I'm not feeling that you really get your money's worth anymore on this one...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/444
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Loop around Blue Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:42 | 24.85 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two out-and-backs on Marine Drive. Flat and fast, with occasional winds coming up and down the gorge.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:09 | 06.21 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat out-and-back along Marine Drive multi-use path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?