United States
Start2Finish events
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 2s
Overall Rank = 183/289
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 18/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 a.m. Made sure I had all of my gear, took a shower, ate breakfast (cereal w/ milk and coffee). Packed my stuff into Carl's truck and left at 5:00 to drive down to the race. Ate two bananas in the morning as we drove down and had a HammerGel about 20 minutes before race start. Drank a couple of bottles of water and some Powerade Zero.
Event warmup:

After body marking, I realized that I had a broken spoke on the rear wheel. Went looking for the wrench. No bike shop reps there. RD says to check with some guy in transition area, thanks a lot. That's what I get for not checking out my equipment beforehand. I guess I can use my 20 yr reunion as an excuse. I decide to race after havinfg the random guy in TA look at it and say it's not too bad. After that I go to the bathroom, and walk down to the swim start. Get TA area set up and it starts to rain (It stormed hard last night - downed trees and debris everywhere) and then quit.
Swim
  • 22m 17s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off okay, but tired out too quickly. Ended up having to do some breast stroke to catch my breath. After I started that it was too easy to take short braks in between freestyle stroke and catch my breath.
What would you do differently?:

The distance was no problem. Work on swim endurance. I didn't spend enough time in the pool in between the MIM Tri and this one, so I feel like I lost some of my endurance gains leading up to MIM.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Long run up the hill from the water onto the beach up to the flat at the top of the hill into TA. Tired coming onto the beach as I got out of the water. Did a little run/shuffle/walk.

Run out of the water and get on the dog gone bike. I can catch my breath and rest at the beginning of being on the bike. Getting shoes and helmet on went okay.
Bike
  • 57m 4s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike on the out leg of the trip, with a good avg speed. I may have slowed down with the hills and not gotten back on the pace. I also took two HammerGels (at about 20 minutes in and 45 minutes in)while on the bike as well as most of my bottle of Powerade Zero and most of my bottle of water. Pretty crowded on the out portion and had some space on the back portion. I passed some and was passed by some. Rear wheel was slightly rubbing against brake, because of broken spoke and being out of true. In the second half I also had a killer cramp in my left calf and a lesser cramp in my right calf (lloked down and it looked like my calf was going to fold in on itself). Tried to stretch them out as I rode

Make sure my equipment is working properly. Work alittle harder on the back portion of the bike. I lost some time by just going a little slower than I needed to.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I unclipped right before dismount line. Completely stopped at dismount line and hopped off. Ran the bike into TA. Stumbled a bit as I tried to maintain balance while changing shoes. Shoes switched out was not too bad. Put on hat and race belt as I was leaving TA.

Not much.
Run
  • 40m 15s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I stopped to walk through the water stations, so I could drink without choking. I also took 4 Endurolytes at the first water station. I got water at each station except the last one. I walked up a couple of steep section on the trail (once because it was only one person wide and there was someone in front of me), but ran the rest of the way. I got to jump a down tree (from the storm I guess) I passed quite a few people. A few people passed me. After the turnaround and I got back out to the highwway and could see that I was almost done, I started encouraging others who were on the way out on the run. It helped me to not think about being tired.

Run through all of the hills instead of walking up them. Yell on the left and see about trying to pass. Try to run thourhg the water stations with cup in hand or maybe skip the water stations and push through.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got heart rate down. Drank a gatorade and then waited for Carl and some of the other guys I know to finish. Ate some good post race fajitas and packed up to leave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness level. Taking too much time off in the swim after MIM. Proper bike maintenance. I was nusring a sinus infection and was on antibiotics after getting a sinus cocktail shot on Monday (nothing I can do about being sick).

Event comments:

Great job of course clean up of debris after the storms. Also, they did the race with generators for the PA announcer and deejay since the power was knocked out. Post-race was good.

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:17 | 800 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/31
Overall: 0/289
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 162
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular swim from beach to buoy (long leg) turn right to next buoy (short leg) turn right at next buoy and swim back to beach (long leg).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:04 | 18 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/31
Performance: Good
Avg HR 162 - Seemed a little high.
Wind: Some
Course: A short distance through the parking area in the park and then out with a hairpin right hand turn onto the main highway. About 5 miles out another right hand turn and follow the road. Mostly flat until close to the turn around then two pretty good hills. The first one steeper than the last. A 180 degree turn around the cone and do it all over again.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:15 | 04 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/31
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 163
Course: Run out of parking area of park the same course as the bikes. Bikes and runners on same road at the start. Cross the highwway and run up a hil into a trail area. Then the trail run begins (up and down and looping). Fun trail - a couple of tough hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes