United States
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 51s
Overall Rank = 767/1690
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 122/253
Pre-race routine:

This race was different from beginning to end. I followed my normal pre-race routine as best as I could. Eat a little something and start drinking water. Rode my bike down to transition and set up then moved over to the bus to take us to the boat to ferry us to Alcatraz.
Event warmup:

NONE. Nothing I could do except some easy stretching on the boat.
Swim
  • 45m 12s
  • 2421 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was what made this race for me and what I was looking forward to the most. How often do you get to swim in the bay from Alcatraz to shore in your lifetime? This could be my ONLY time.

It was so much fun and the swim went great! I sighted on the radio tower like they suggested and it brought me straight to shore. No problems with navigation at all.

I didn't get to draft anyone, everyone was pretty spread out to find some feet to follow. That's ok. I liked swimming by myself in this case.

I did what they suggested and took a bit of a rest/stop in the middle of the swim. Not to save energy, because I felt great, but to look around at where I was and what realize what I was doing. Just take in Alcatraz, San Fran, the Bay Bridge, and the Golden Gate bridge. It was really spectacular and I just smiled and enjoyed the moment.

Ok, now to the BIG issue... The COLD... Maybe it was just me, but it was not NEARLY as bad as what I was led to believe. In reality, I jumped in and just started swimming. I never even noticed the cold. I was actually shocked I was not MORE surprised by the cold. I was expecting to have my breath stolen away and get a 'jolt'. But nothing. It was like any other swim.

The only part of the swim I did not enjoy was the several mouthfuls of sea water I drank when getting hit by the waves. YUCK!!!

I was happy with my swim time. I was basically BOFOP overall and for my division.
Transition 1
  • 07m 16s
Comments:

This was a different transition than you usually have. We exited the water and had to find our 'mini' transition bag to take off our wetsuit and put on running shoes. There was about half mile run (or more) to the bikes. So it took longer to get in the running shoes and get to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 7s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful and techinical bike course. It was a real joy to ride. Lots of hills, tight corners, etc...

The only sucky part were the rough road conditions. Lots of potholes. Also, there were a LOT of people on the course. I would find myself 'boxed in' on several occasions. I would want to pass on some of the downhill sections, but decided just to sit up and feather the brakes a bit and just settle in behind someone. I was a bit worried about people's bike handling skills (or lack of, on the downhills) I didn't want to risk a high speed pass on a curvey downhill section filled with road hazards (potholes and other riders).

This bike course was a lot of fun, I had a hard time easing off. I just hammered! Probably to the detriment to my run and race. But so what! It was a blast.

I passed up SO many people early on the bike, but then got passed by quite a few better cyclists that I had bettered out of the water.

I probably didn't drink enough on the bike. The course felt a little too techinical to get time to drink. I was always on my toes due to the course conditions or the people around me. It was also pretty cool, so I didn't feel thirsty (again, probably a detriment to the run)

I was particularily put off by some people that would pass on the right. I would pass on the left (like you are SUPPOSED to) and start moving back over to the right to have some downhill fool racing by me on the right and yelling...
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Nice solid transition. I took a couple second to stop and pose for a picture by the wife!
Run
  • 1h 16m 32s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where I sort of lost it. I was pretty tired and dehydrated off the bike. The run felt a little labored for me as my times can testify. I was getting passed a lot on the run.

This run course was amazing. Lots of hills, trails, road, beach, steps, a tunnel, and of course the Sand Ladder...

I was really hoping for about and 8:30/mile pace like I can normally run in on Oly, but I was more like 9:30.

I was slower than average both in my AG and overall. Sort of embarassing since I thought my swim and run were my strengths...

On a side note, I was 297 overall and 51 in my AG for the Sand Ladder! I guess sand ladders are my specialty????? A secret Sand Ladder talent maybe???

Post race
Warm down:

They had a medical tent with foam rollers, so I stretched out my ITB and calves a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness and hydration (lack there of)

Event comments:

I met several BTers in the morning to ride down to transition. I thought we were leaving at a good time to be 'on time'. Well, it seems like eveyone in San Fran runs a little slow! We were some of the FIRST people there and had our stuff set up quickly and were able to grab the first bus to the ferry boat. Me being FIRST to set up? That never happens. Usually I am trying to squeez my bike in somewhere.

We arrived at the boat to get body marked and wait for boarding. That probably took about 45 minutes or so. Once boarded, the 'old' people were sent upstairs to our designated holding pen. The three of us found a little section of wall and just hung out and talked. It was really nice.

Once everyone arrived, it was really packed full of athletes. It was a completely new experience. I sort of felt like cattle being led to our end!

The boat departed at 7:00 am for Alcatraz. We were there in about 15 minutes, so just sort of 'hung out' off shore of the island. They played the national anthem then we were off!!! The entire boat unloaded in about 5-6 minutes. WHAT A RUSH!!!!

We needed to leap to the water which was about 5-6 feel below is and start swimming. Like I mentioned in the swim section, the water was NOT as cold as expected and I felt fine.

The bike was lots of fun. I noticed that I can hold my own on the flats with most people. In fact, pass most people up. Same goes for the downhill sections. It's the climbs that hurt me (mostly due to my size)

The run was rough on me. Lots of climbs. But the course was so adventurous and unique, it kept my mind in it the entire time. I just wish I was in better condition and drank more on the bike.

I didn't realized how dehydrated I was untill the race was over. Water never tasted so good.

I have to admit, I lost several spots overall just so I could enjoy the moment. Even at the finish, I came to a complete walk to savor the last 30 yards. What a great feeling.

The crowds were amazing. I have never seen anything like it before at a race. So many people were lined up at the swim exit and the finish of the race. I just wanted to soak it all in.

Yes, I get a little dissapointed I didn't do as well as I hoped, but that was really not the intent of this race. It never was an 'A' race for me. My goal was to have FUN and take it all in. In that case, it was a success! It was a blast.

Then entire trip was a blast. From visiting Alcatraz island, to meeting fellow BTers, seeing Wicked and going to China town. Just a great long weekend from start to finish.

I will probably add more when I think of it and post some pictures I need to get off the camera.

For this race I brought my own bike. I may pass on that next time. It was nice having it, but was also a bit of a problem getting it on the plan, in the shuttle, etc...

Last updated: 2008-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:12 | 2421 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 91/253
Overall: 547/1690
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeve and Neoprene Cap
Course: From Alcatraz Island to the Harbor
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:07 | 18 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 129/253
Overall: 819/1690
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:16:32 | 08 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 154/253
Overall: 952/1690
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-16 12:32 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

2009-06-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2221536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Awesome race and great RR! I too would like to do this race just to be able to have swam from Alcatraz, cool stuff!

2009-06-16 1:37 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Congratulations!Sounds like you had a great day out there.

2009-06-16 2:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
FUN FUN FUN!!! Great job!
2009-06-16 2:44 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Awesome ... what a great race. You did well considering how dehydrated you were.
2009-06-16 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Great race report.  Sounds like an awesome experience.  Congrats

2009-06-16 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Sand Ladder King of the World? When's that competition? Nice job out there muchacho!
2009-06-16 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Great RR Jim. Very solid race and weekend.
2009-06-16 7:44 PM

Sounds like you had an awesome time! I would have been high-tailing it across that bay - eek, sharks!

2009-06-17 6:15 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Great race report Jim.  You did awesome!
2009-06-17 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
It was great to meet you and I am glad you had so much fun!

I agree that a lot of folks were misbehaving on the bike.  I wasn't hanging out in the middle of the road or anything and got passed on the right a few times too.  There's never an excuse for breaking the rules!

2009-06-17 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
there are very very few races that I really want to do, but this is one of them..

congrats on having a great time <get it, time like speed and fun, Ha I crack myself up>

nice job !!!! 
2009-06-17 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
great job! congrats again!
2009-06-18 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Great race and great report, Jim.  This race is all about the experience, and I'm glad you took the opportunity to savor it.  Interesting to note how far you have come on the bike in the past year.  You used to say you struggled with it, but you have now turned it into a strength.  Don't sweat the run pace so much.  It was a technical course with hills and obstacles - that will affect your pace a lot.  Congratulations again on a GREAT day!!!

2009-09-24 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Nice job!! DEFINITELY on my "to do" list some year!!
2009-09-24 10:29 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Congrats on your race - agree with all of the above about this race, Escape From Alcatraz is one of those things that amazes me every time I think about it.

Speaking of amazing, hello, your swim??? - no problem with the legendary cold or tides, nothing, wow.  Great great job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed