Midwest Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 32s
Overall Rank = 107/266
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

This was my first tri so I was a little clueless. I set up my spot (initially taking up too much room). I had only done a little practice with transitions, but I at least knew where I wanted everything to be.
Event warmup:

Went for a short jog and found out where I would head for each part of the race. Ran part way up the mile long hill for the start of the run segment. That's one big hill.
Swim
  • 15m 20s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably the longest I've swam in open water. I had to do a mix of crawl stroke and breast stroke, but I felt comfortable. Life guards were everywhere so I wasn't worried about drowning in my first triathlon.
What would you do differently?:

Become a better swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I was anxious to get out of the water so I sprinted to the transition (with a quick hop into the kiddie pool to rinse off my feet).

I rested momentarily in the transition. Took down an energy gel and some water. Since it was my first triathlon, that was fine. Still got in and out quickly.
Bike
  • 50m 21s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Good course. Police did a great job of keeping cars off the roads. Roads were all quite smooth. I was very glad I caught my brother, but he stayed with me.

Not let anyone pass me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Again, I took a little bit of rest in the transition for an energy gel and some water. I also had to sit down to put on my socks and running shoes. On his way out, my brother reminded me not to forget my number belt. Whoops, I forgot my number belt anyway.

Not forget my number belt. Don't sit down to put on shoes. Have any energy gels and water while on the bike.
Run
  • 23m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Halfway up the mile long hill I realized I forgot my number belt and panic set in. I read some horror stories about people being disqualified for not having their number. I didn't want to go through all the effort for it to not count for anything, so I ran back a block to ask an official if I needed the number. She didn't think it mattered. I ended up running 2 extra blocks because of my stupid mistake. Lost to my brother by 7 seconds.

Not forget my number belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much except talk to people and walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing my limits. Not knowing how much I could push myself while still leaving gas in the tank for all events.

Event comments:

From the time I picked up my race packet to the start of the race I felt like I was well informed and directed toward what to do and where to go. Great course and I look forward to doing it again. I hope I make the Chaska tri and annual tradition and maybe some day I'll beat my brother.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:20 | 586 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 198/266
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Loop around a small pond. The water wasn't too clear, but it didn't seem dirty either.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:21 | 16 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 73/266
Wind: Little
Course: Road course on a long loop. First 3/4 seemed mostly uphill. For every downhill it seemed like there was a bigger uphill. I got up to speed quickly in pursuit of my brother. After the first 12 miles or so, it flattens out for a while and this is where I caught him. Near the end there's a very long downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:40 | 03.11 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 75/266
Course: Out and back with about a mile long turn around loop. First mile is all uphill, but last mile is all downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes