General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Freaky stuff that happens at the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-11-12 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2226772

User image

Subject: RE: Freaky stuff that happens at the pool
Okay, my best pool story is worth adding to this thread. A few months ago I was doing a lot of swimming first thing in the mornings at the gym that is right by my house. On a couple of occasions I had noticed what looked to me like a bit of a mafia contingent hanging out around the jacuzzi. Granted, my experience with the mafia is limited to movies and television but the scene at the gym has looked like it could easily incorporate Tony Soprano. On one occasion I walked into the pool area and there was one woman in the pool talking to one man standing outside of the pool. They were the only two people in there and as I walked in she was telling him, "You've got to stop hanging around with those mafia guys so much." None of this had me too phased but a few days later I witnessed some truly bizarre events. The pool was pretty crowded that morning with one lane being occupied by two men who were NOT swimming but just standing in the water. One of these gentlemen was an older fellow with an Italian accent and the other was a bit younger and slightly greasy and creepy. These two men were talking about "business" the entire time. Now, mind you, they weren't talking about whacking people or anything like that but I overheard bits like the older man telling the younger one, "I want to give you more business and more responsibility." I overheard something about how much interest was required and, best of all, I overheard the younger guy say, "Yeah, the guy in charge over there is Vinnie!" Hello!! The guy in charge over there is Vinnie?? Who hears those words spoken in real life? All the while I was keeping my head down, swimming like a maniac, trying to hear as little as possible and marvelling slightly at how bizarre the world is. Well, the story gets even better. After about 20-25 minutes, our two friends exited the pool and headed for the jacuzzi. A few minutes later a young man who looked more like a street gang member came into the pool area and yelled across the pool, "Joe Sizza's in the house! Joe Sizza's in the house!" (I don't know if I got the name correct and I mostly hope that I didn't!) The older Italian man yelled at this young guy to shut up. The young guy repeated his chant and then left the pool area. At this point I was thinking, "What on earth is going on in this place?!" I would've been more frightened and likely would have left had there not been several other people around looking equally confused. I haven't done much swimming at that gym since.

2009-11-12 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2511151

User image

Extreme Veteran

annicola - 2009-11-12 2:05 PM Okay, my best pool story is worth adding to this thread. A few months ago I was doing a lot of swimming first thing in the mornings at the gym that is right by my house. On a couple of occasions I had noticed what looked to me like a bit of a mafia contingent hanging out around the jacuzzi. Granted, my experience with the mafia is limited to movies and television but the scene at the gym has looked like it could easily incorporate Tony Soprano. On one occasion I walked into the pool area and there was one woman in the pool talking to one man standing outside of the pool. They were the only two people in there and as I walked in she was telling him, "You've got to stop hanging around with those mafia guys so much." None of this had me too phased but a few days later I witnessed some truly bizarre events. The pool was pretty crowded that morning with one lane being occupied by two men who were NOT swimming but just standing in the water. One of these gentlemen was an older fellow with an Italian accent and the other was a bit younger and slightly greasy and creepy. These two men were talking about "business" the entire time. Now, mind you, they weren't talking about whacking people or anything like that but I overheard bits like the older man telling the younger one, "I want to give you more business and more responsibility." I overheard something about how much interest was required and, best of all, I overheard the younger guy say, "Yeah, the guy in charge over there is Vinnie!" Hello!! The guy in charge over there is Vinnie?? Who hears those words spoken in real life? All the while I was keeping my head down, swimming like a maniac, trying to hear as little as possible and marvelling slightly at how bizarre the world is. Well, the story gets even better. After about 20-25 minutes, our two friends exited the pool and headed for the jacuzzi. A few minutes later a young man who looked more like a street gang member came into the pool area and yelled across the pool, "Joe Sizza's in the house! Joe Sizza's in the house!" (I don't know if I got the name correct and I mostly hope that I didn't!) The older Italian man yelled at this young guy to shut up. The young guy repeated his chant and then left the pool area. At this point I was thinking, "What on earth is going on in this place?!" I would've been more frightened and likely would have left had there not been several other people around looking equally confused. I haven't done much swimming at that gym since.

There's no such thing as the mafia, those were legitimate business conversations, if anyone asks you didn't see anything you hear?

2009-11-12 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2511151

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Ah yea, we need to get your name and phone number for ah, a visit.  On the other hand you may want to change gyms, quick, in case you have an acident, while swimming.
2009-11-12 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2511609

User image

hrliles - 2009-11-12 5:17 PM Ah yea, we need to get your name and phone number for ah, a visit.  On the other hand you may want to change gyms, quick, in case you have an acident, while swimming.

Ha! Yeah, well this was a few months ago now and though I do still go to that gym from time to time, I haven't been in the pool over there in a while. The oddest part of the whole thing was that about a week later one of the windows of my car was busted through in the middle of the night. The metal ball in the back seat led me to suspect kids with a slingshot cruising the streets. According to the cops it's not that uncommon around here. The first thing I thought when I saw the window was, "Oh SH*T! They're after me!" My husband said that I needn't worry until there's a mannequin head with goggles and a swim cap left in the front seat. Smile
2009-11-13 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2510422

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
eabeam - 2009-11-12 8:29 AM
MADFOXZZ75 - 2009-11-12 4:26 AM
aliclimb - 2009-07-14 2:28 PM And could anyone explain to me the special appeal of Gold Bond powder to older ladies?

Well it keeps your jiggly bits from sticking together once they begin to adhere to the law of gravity, who doesn't like to stay nice and jiggly all day long?  

I like some of the unassuming variety around me in Minneapolis, (Somali, Hmong, to name a couple) People who maybe appear under or over dressed for certain activities takes the spotlight off me in my tri suit and furry legs. 

Maybe at a certain age, you need reassurance that you still have sensation there?

I have been a fan of the Gold Bond Ball Buzz since college.

Tongue out
2009-11-13 5:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
The thing that baffles me the most is that a lot of these stories involve, and I myself have experienced, the person wandering into the lane we currently occupy and express suprise when we continue doing what we were doing before they interloped and run into them.  It's like standing on a train track and being suprised when you are hit by a train.  If we stopped and jumped over lane lines or swam around like a spastic squid I'd get it they wouldn't know what to expect.  But psychological research shows that most people have achieved the ability to recognize patterns by age 7, where does this fairly common ability go when they enter the pool?

The same can be said for kick boards, people generally pick them up and put them away when they are done, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see that.  There is usually no reason to 'borrow' a kick board, there are usually piles of them that are clearly not being used. 

I suppose these are the same people that circle the gym parking lot looking for the closest space without a hint of irony.  Undecided

2009-11-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2510358

User image

SpeedAgent - 2009-11-12 10:09 AM

The lady walks through the kids section and starts going under the lane ropes until she is in my lane at the opposite end.  She gives me a look like "hey, it's ok, I made it" and she waves at me.  I look over at the LG and he starts laughing.  Humpty starts down my lane in some sort of a backstroke flail in slow motion.  I'm in complete disbelief because there are no other people in the entire pool.  I swear this lady was maybe doing .0002 knots, there was no wake and it took her about 5 minutes to get to my end of the pool.  By this time I had switched lanes.  When I was done I got out and asked the LG what the deal was with this lady.  He said she does it to everyone and some people have yelled at her.  She will only swim in that one lane and she doesn't care who is already in it. 

Since this first time I refuse to hand over my lane to her.  I see her coming and I keep swimming.  Once she is in my lane I typically do a flip turn in her face and she eventually decides to move.  She doesn't speak english very well, but that doesn't make her behavior any more acceptable. 

Her husband (has to be) swims at my pool. The guy will jump into the wall lane regardless of who is already in there and he swims this treading water stroke with, I THINK, forward momentum. I haven't decided if he is causing the momentum or if he's just treading water and letting the Earth's spin carry him across the lane.

In any case, I'm 15 minutes into a 45 minute swim and this guy just jumps in. No one else in the pool. I didn't even notice him until I swam over him and got his hair wet when I dunked him. Holy cow, you would have thought I'd tried to drown him. He starts bellowing for a life guard and I just resume swimming after I realize he's not hurt.

Apparently he does this to anyone unfortunate enough to be in that lane when he comes in. The dreaded treading water at 6 minutes per 25 yards barn burning speeds.
2009-11-13 8:58 AM

So I talked to one of the lifeguards on duty yesterday about Humpty and why she will only swim in this one particular lane even if it is already occupied.  He said he asked her one day last week why she does this and her reply was...."clock".  Now I told you she doesn't speak english very well, but there are 4 clocks and all are within a relatively similar distance to all of the lanes and there is one on each wall. 

I think Humpty is even more strange now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Freaky stuff that happens at the pool Rss Feed  

of 9