Cambridge, Maryland
United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Total Time = 5h 54m 27s
Overall Rank = 912/1412
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 137/193
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 AM. Ate a peanut butter sandwich, and drank some Gatorade. Filled bottles and Camelbak.
Event warmup:

Not much. Got to site at about 6:40 AM, set up transition, and it was time to put on the wetsuit and go.
Swim
  • 42m 9s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim for me. Stayed relaxed, even though I got stung by jellyfish several times on both forearms (one downside to sleeveless wetsuit!). I improved by more than 2 minutes from last year, and accomplished my goal of taking it easy.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to sight. I spend a lot of time zig-zagging. I also need to swim more and longer. 1-2 times per week, just isn't enough.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting my wetsuit off, and took time to spray sunscreen on, though I obviously wasn't very effective, based on the nice sunburn I now have.

Need to get wetsuit off quicker. At some point, I want to learn how to leave shoes on the bike rather than putting them on in transition.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal here was to save something for the run. I kept my HR under 150 as much as possible, but that got really tough when we turned into the wind.

I never felt comfortable during this ride. From the start, my left quad and groin muscles were tight, and they never really loosened up. My back was also stiff, and I could not seem to stay in aero position for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

It was also frustrating to watch so many people pass me, as the bike is the one thing I tried to focus on during my training. I did the best I could to weather the tough mental patches, and to keep plugging along.

Nutrition: 2 packs of PB crackers, 1 bag of GU strawberry chewy-things, and one GU. 20 oz of Gatorade, and 1 CamelBak of water (60+ oz).

I need to spend more training time on the bike. I did 6 or 7 training rides of at least 45 miles, including a long ride of 63 miles, yet I still didn't feel very good or efficient. I also think it might be time to break down and get a tri bike. I like my Klein road bike, but it just doesn't fit quite right, especially in aero.
Transition 2
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

I (obviously!) took my time, though it didn't seem particularly slow when it was happening. I did not have elastic laces on my shoes, so that definitely was a hindrance.

Elastic laces, practice, concentrate during the end of the bike on what I want to do in transition.
Run
  • 1h 53m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

All day long, I kept telling myself to just relax, and save something for the run. I felt good coming out of T2, with the exception of a stiff lower back. I went through the first mile in 7:48, passed by the house we were staying at, and waved to Marie, my newlywed wife.

I was pretty confident at that point this would be a good run, but I also remembered feeling the same way in the first mile of last year's run. I felt really strong for the first 5 miles, and was steadily passing people even though I was slowing down. I was excited to finally be running, and had a stupid grin on my face most of the way. I had not hit my watch at the start of the swim or bike, so I had no idea of my overall time. Just tried to stay comfortable and push when I could.

By about 7 miles I was getting tired, and was walking for a few steps at each water stop. I took water at most of the early ones, then switched to a combination of Gatorade and water for the 2nd half.

The last couple of miles definitely were not easy, but I was having fun and enjoying the moment. At about 11 miles, there was a house with a bunch of VA Tech kids. They were playing music and encouraging people to dive on the slip-n-slide. This seemed like a reasonable idea to me at the time, so I ran through the crowd, high-fived a bunch of people, and dove. Fun, except I felt a sharp pain on my right side (more on that later), and was rewarded with soaking wet shoes for the last two miles. My already blistered feet were not happy...

Picked up the pace the last mile, and tried to look strong for the run to the finish. It's such a great feeling to come around that bend and see the crowds.

Dunno. Definitely would skip the slip-n-slide at mile 11. It was fun, but I now have a seriously strained muscle just below my ribs on the right side of my body. It hurts to breath, turn, bend, and run. Not my best decision....
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Found Marie, got a little bit of food, and walked around to stretch. Packed up transition and we walked the 1.25 miles back to the house where we stayed. We did this last year, too, and it is great. I get to stretch a bit by walking, and also get to cheer on some of the other participants.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I got married 10 weeks before the race, and am transitioning to another job within my organization, so training was not a main focus. I did what I could, but there wasn't a lot of volume or consistency. I came into Eagleman this year with no time goal, but rather just aiming to enjoy the race, and to be able to run comfortably. I did those things, and beat my time from last year by 15 minutes.

I know I can get faster if I train more, work on transitions, and get a tri bike. I'll consider those things going forward, but for the moment, am enjoying my new status as a husband.

Event comments:

Eagleman is a tough test, but a very well run event. The volunteers are wonderful, as are the locals in general. For the 2nd year, we were hosted by a wonderful family, and had a great time.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:09 | 1931 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 158/193
Overall: 1213/1412
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular shape, with different start and end locations. Pretty smooth water, until the last turn for home. Lots of jellyfish.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:10:49 | 56 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 169/193
Overall: 1197/1412
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop course, with little to no shade. Very flat, but winds really picked up after about 30 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:53:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/193
Overall: 537/1412
Performance: Good
Avg 164 BPM. 7:48 7:50 7:58 8:06 8:24 8:46 8:46 8:56 9:12 9:28 9:33 9:29 8:32
Course: Out and back. Flat course with little to no shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-18 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-19 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2228089

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

Nice job and good race report!

2009-06-19 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Great job on shaving off 15 min from last year!  Maybe next time you should skip the slip 'n slide... :-)
2009-06-19 4:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed