Steve McFessell
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 5s
Overall Rank = 680/3152
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 74/229
Pre-race routine:

Laid out transition area night before. Bike in transition area night before as well. Ate at the pasta dinner that Wendi held at her Bed and Breakfast - which was excellent. I think I had 3 plates of food.

Didn't sleep that great though I was dead tired. Woke at 4:30, packed transition bag, ate half a protein plus powerbar, a banana, and started hitting the water. Bathroom, then down to race site which is only about 3 miles from the hotel. My rack was right beside the pros. Got to see all of them set up their stuff, do their rubber band tricks with their shoes, etc. A lot of them brought their own trainers to warm up for the bike.

Also looked for Renee who was body marking. Some old lady cornered me first though.
Event warmup:

Walk from TA to swim start was 3/4 of a mile! Didn't do any run or bike warmups. Couldn't take bike out of TA, and figured the 3/4 mile walk was enough. Got to the beach with 20 mins till pros started, did a Raspberry Hammer Gel and chased with water, then went out into the water to warmup. Did about 300y. 150y easy, national anthem, then 100y race pace, then 50y easy. Then went to starting line.
Swim
  • 26m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Knew this was my strongest of the 3, so I got up front on the starting line. Stayed to the right because the current was pulling everything right to left figuring that would help me. Ran like a banshee down into the water until I was about thigh deep, then did 2 dolphin type pushoffs to get to slightly deeper water. Disaster struck immediately - goggles both instantly filled with salt water. I handled it well I think. Cleared them in half a sec, got them on and dolphined again. SOB's filled up again. Cleared them and decided the hell with the dolphin, broke into a freestyle swim. Massive breathing issues the first 300y. Felt very tight and closed in feeling. The waves were tossing me around, drinking mouthfuls of salt water. This never really happened in the practice runs. This feeling went away mysteriously when I started trying to calm myself down and get into a groove. I went from breathing every 2 strokes to my more natural breathing every 3. I'd sight every 12 strokes. My sighting stroke was generally after I breathed right, I'd swivel my head around for a quick peek. Most of the race I was swimming pretty straight, so if I didn't get a good look I'd go another 12 before sighting again. I'd do it more frequently. Swam into a couple of people, which freaked me out at first and I'd stop for half a sec to see what was going on. The exit to the swim course was a set of steep metal steps going up about 25 feet from the water. This was not very fun to navigate especially with that funny swimmer's buzz you get coming out of the water.
My age group was split into 2 waves of 150 people each approx. Wife tells me I was about 5th out of the water
What would you do differently?:

Practice dolphin style swim - figure out if need to position head differently, or just tighten goggles.
Relax in the first portion so as to not get all freaked out and panic.
Continue to learn how to sight and steer on an open water course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I had to run across the entire TA to get to my rack - it was 2nd one from the other end. Got the top of the wetsuit off during my run, then removed cap and goggles too. Got 1 leg completely out of suit easily. 2nd leg stuck very briefly around the arch of my foot. Considering the length I had to run to get to my bike, I was really happy with this time.

See bike portion.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 5s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike start was a complete disaster! I tucked two gels that I was going to do on the bike into my aerobottle, and my sunglasses were hooked onto my brake cables...I'm thinking I'd save time in T1 by putting this stuff on during my ride. I get to the mount line, and I look down and see my gels are gone. I straddle my bike and immediately almost fall on the freaking brick road because my cleats are so damn slippery. Finally, I click one foot in and get going. I make the first turn on the damn brick road and I'm being shook up so much I suddenly hear a clatter behind me...there go my damn sunglasses - at mile 0.1 LOL! At this point, I decide to enlighten a few of the little children who were bystanders with a few new vocabulary words. Finally I get off the brick road and try to compose myself mentally. Decided that I had to finish the complete aerobottle of Gatorade in order to get the calories I needed anyway. The wind wasn't too bad and it was really early, so I figured I could do without the sunglasses. I was more pissed because of what they freaking cost more than anything. I kept on cranking away and finally notice my last f-up. When I almost fell mounting the bike, the wheel and handlebars went from being true and straight to being crooked. To get the wheel to 12 o'clock, I had to point the aerobars to 11 o'clock. LOL! I remember thinking about whether I should stop or not and how much time it would cost me. I remember saying - fuck it....I'm not stopping.

The course was fast! I had very few people out in front of me because of my starting wave and good swim. Don't think I passed anyone. I went back and forth with one guy once, then he dusted me. Hamstring cramp at the 17 mile mark. Finished gatorade in aerobottle at mile 23. Despite the bull shit, it was a great bike for me. I don't do well with hills, so this course is about the best its going to be. I kept cranking it the whole way. The chain never left the big front chainring, and never found the low gear on the back chain ring. The crooked wheel was a huge distraction on the turns and cornering, but overall, I was really happy with how well I did. Still have a long way to go. A good biker would have avg'd in the 22-25 mph range on this forgiving course. I still have work to do. Dismount went well. No problems unclipping.

Tape gels to bike frame
Put on sunglasses in T1
Stay steady at mountline or learn to do the preclipped in shoe thing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Uneventful T2. Grabbed 2 gels for the run and stuck them in tri top pocket. Had to run the whole length of the transition area in my cleats, but it was grass, so no slipping issues.

Nothing...good T2
Run
  • 51m 9s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Spent first mile trying to find my legs. Spent the next 5 wishing they didn't hurt so much. For my 1st sprint of 2005, I didn't have any of this soreness, cramping, muscular issues. Fought through the hammy, quad issues the whole time. This may have been brought on by keeping it going in the bike, or some of the bike problems I had. My first mile was on a 7:38 pace, then the deep cramps started. Never walked, never stopped. Just slowed down the pace a bit here and there. Got a drink at each water stop every mile. Got sprayed down by hoses whenever one of the neighborhood kids had one. Got passed alot!!! There was lots of encouragement though among everyone. When I was on my way back in, I got to see Karl on his way out. He looked great! We high-fived one another. This lifted my spirits tremendously and I think my next mile after this went from an 8:30 pace down to an 8:00 pace.

Cut off my legs....seriously...improve leg fitness and endurance after a hard bike. More brick work
Post race
Warm down:

Someone threw me an ice cold towel after crossing the finish line. That came pretty close to sex as an all time good feeling. Gave back my timing chip and got my medal. Found something cold to drink and hobbled around to meet wifey. Post race massage was also exceptional. After that, we sat in our BT meeting place drinking beer and waiting for the others to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness in the upper legs. Quads, Hams, lower gluts all abandoned me in the run.

Event comments:

Unforgettables:
1) Chris' stem issues, prerace wetsuit rip, his pretty pink shirt, and his rule breaking draft penalty.
2) Seagulls following Wendi in the swim
3) Karl's high five on the run
4) "I like the way you think"
5) "hey...that race number has 10 digits Renee" bodymarking
6) "You really should shave up there"
7) Sue's monster BT sign wrapped keg
8) Sharon's 1 min swim
9) Chris - did you ever get any dolphin pictures?????
10) Lisa the "stream of consciousness" talker
11) Eyeballs popping out of dead people on airplanes.
12) "oh, and Jeff really works for Trojan" (rubber pipe insulation, yeah, riiiiiight)

I can't wait to do this race again. Even more than that I can't wait to run into some of these people that I met. Its one thing to read what they write on the site. Its another to meet them in person. Very cool experience. It would be very cool if in the future when BT members swell that there's some sort of race where we can all get together and race with one another.

This course rocked. For my first Olympic tri, I don't think I could have picked a more forgiving race. It was extremely flat throughout the whole bike and run. The swim was a bit rough with the chop and all, but doable. This was so much more of a memorable experience because of the other BT'ers down here though. Doing it alone would be fun. Doing it as a group was downright hilarious. I don't think I've laughed so much in my life.

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/229
Overall: 0/3152
Performance: Good
Suit: IronMan Long John wetsuit
Course: 3 sides of a rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:05 | 24.8 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 120/229
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 1 very large loop with some out and backs on a couple of roads. A lot of turns as well. 1st .2 miles was on a brick road! All railroad tracks were covered up. 5-6 speedbumps on the course which were avoidable if you stayed far right. Very FLAT!!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:09 | 06.2 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 110/229
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through a nice little St. Pete neighborhood. Completely flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-04-25 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: St. Anthony's Olympic Tri

2005-04-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #147586

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Olympic Tri
Hey Jeff,

Nice Race! I heard them announce your name as I was doing my volunteering. I wish I had gotten over to the BT area on Sunday to see you guys, but we had to get going once our volunteer shift was over. Anyway, it was great meeting you and Denise. Maybe we will see you later on this summer. We might be doing a race or two in NC.
2005-04-25 11:06 AM

Master
Boston
Jeff, You are right- I had the best time w/ you guys. We have such a great group, and it really made the weekend alot more relaxing, hanging out with everyone- instead of freaking out about the race the whole time! I didn't know you lost your sunglasses and gels on the bike...wow, that sucked! I guess you have to be prepared for ANYthing out there. You really had an amazing time, I am so jealous. Let's all do this again next year. Tell Denise I enjoyed meeting her, too. You guys are too cute. And....I'm glad I provided some entertainment with my stream of conciousness talking. Barry got a kick out of that. I think he said "You hit the nail right on the head, Jeff." Miss you guys already!
2005-04-25 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Jeff, I think we all made some great memories.  You ran a killer race, particularly on the 10k, nutting it up and posting a 51m time.  That is phenomenal.  I, too, enjoyed the post race BT party on the veranda.  My stomach hurts from laughing so much.

I'm already looking forward to next year!

2005-04-25 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Awesome Job! Congratulations! Just listening to the stories give me a knot in my stomach!
I am such a klutz when it comes to sunglasses! I do not spend much money on those. I go to Marshalls or Sports Authority and buy cheap confortable glasses without distortion. Last time I got some $8 OP (discounted). I love them!
2005-04-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #147652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations on a superb race! They way you handled all the "issues" resembles a seasoned pro...I'm not kidding. And, man, you are fassssst!

The event and company sound like so much fun! if there's another BT meeting there...I'm going!

I think the fact that your bike was lined up with those of the pro's is no coincidence either!

Félix

2005-04-25 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Yay Jeff!  Great race!  Great report....funny stuff!  You did awesome!
2005-04-25 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Jeff, Rock On! Great Race! I love the stories of the goggles, sunglases, gels, high fives, and the laughs! I'm in next year!
2005-04-25 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Jeff - awesome, awesome, awesome.  Fantastic race, for a first OLY you were just kicking out the jams.  Despite the couple small issues, sounded like just what the doc ordered for the leadoff to a great season. 

I'm now officially stoked to 1) go to races with other BT'ers - it sounded incredible, 2) just freakin race! (it's still snowing up here), and 3) get faster...

Congrats again!

2005-04-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #147732

Regular
Jackson, MS
Awesome report and race. What else can one do when adversity strikes but laugh! Great attitude!

clay
2005-04-25 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
A solid race, despite the bike mess. At least you kept a post-race sense of humor. Terrific run too. Congratulations!

2005-04-25 4:36 PM

, Alabama

Great race Jeff.  Wasn't the whole weekend just awesome?  The whole thing was such a good time.  You keep this up and you'll feel right at home sitting next to those pros!

BTW, don't tape the gel to the bike frame.  The tape glue can screw up the bike paint.  You know how I love my Bento...get a Bento box and a flask.  That way there's no package to have to open on the bike and limited mess potential.  That's my motherly advice. 

Sharon

2005-04-25 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
You had an awesome race Jeff!!  It was great to meet you and Denise (my twin). 
2005-04-25 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Great race...really nice swim...

2005-04-25 7:54 PM

User image

Buttercup
Jeff, Congratulations on a fantastic showing. Very impressive. I learned alot just by watching you and the other BTers.  I had no idea you had had all those setbacks - you wouldn't know it from your times!  Come back next year!
2005-04-25 8:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Glad you had fun.  You had some great times.  Great to meet you and your wife.  Train hard -SMO

2005-04-25 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
That was a great report on a great race. I liked the part about the vocabulary words with the young kids on the sidewalk. I would have been pissed to lose the sunglasses and have all those troubles on the bike. Way to go!!
2005-04-25 10:02 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Wow, you rocked!  You missed all the wind in the later starts.  The bricks were slippery too, I couldn't get a firm plant coming out of T1, I slipped clipped in and grabbed a boundary gate (whatever they are called- the portable grey ones). It was scary close.  Then dismounting bike, same thing, whoa!!  They have to seriously cover those bricks!  There's a picture of a pro female in today 's SP Times- she fell dismounting her bike! There's a pic of her on her butt with volys pulling the bike off of her. 

2005-04-25 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
By the way, I seriously enjoyed your "unforgettables" list.  That's some funny sh*t.
2005-04-25 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
 and you forgot about "oh, and Jeff really works for Trojan" (rubber pipe insulation, yeah, riiiiiight).
2005-04-25 11:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida

dude what an awesome weekend....it is seriously scary how much alike our wives our.....after the shock wore off I think I laughed the rest of the time....when I dropped of the film today...there was a guy with a number 8 hat on so tell Denise she is popular in Plant City of America.....

by the way great race..... I hope by next year I can be close to your kind of times ....what an inspiration...

Keep laying that pipe.....lol

2005-04-25 11:47 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Dude... we were in the same wave, but I don't think i saw you at all... great job on the swim... unlucky with the bike start mishaps. Looks like you turned in a good time overall regardless.
2005-04-26 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Way too many people race this weekend

Look at that swim place!  Who's a Rock Star?!!

Congrats again on a great race Jeff!  Glad to see above all that you had a good time and enjoyed the race.

See you in June!

2005-04-27 12:01 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
So I take that back... looks like I saw you quite a bit on the run! Dude, that is too funny! See you next year!
2005-04-27 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
COngratulations on a great race - hilarious race report!!! Awesome work - well done. Wish I could have been there...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Olympic Tri Rss Feed  

of 2