Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tri Balancing Act Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-25 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: Tri Balancing Act
It has been a tough weekend for me.
Back in february I decided to give this sport a try. Ever since I found myself dealing with Murphy's law... My work got really busy and I've been traveling a lot. On top of that, BOOM! got a new bike and a great guy to date at the same time. Dating! one more thing to the equation. I had such a great mantra going! (Too busy for a boyfriend, too busy for a boyfriend)
I really like training for triathlons but I am not sure I have what it takes. I lack the discipline Could it be that my first try is apporaching and I am scared?
Last weekend I found myself doing the balancing act, I tried to cram my workouts on the weekend. Needless to say I am exausted and I couldn't keep up with my schedule...
Rest day today... time to think....
Hats off to those training with families and jobs to balance.
I absolutely respect your dedication!
I have no idea how can you balance all!

2005-04-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: #147668

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Tri Balancing Act
Hi Mary,
I know how you feel. With full time work and PT law school and all the studying in between, I really don't have a lot of time to train either. I think I'm down to only a couple of quality hours per week. The thing that I try to do is do work while I'm training. What I mean is, if I have to read something for school or work, I'll do it on a elliptical or bike trainer.

It's just hard and it comes down to priorities. There's only so much time in a day, and you just have to figure out what's more important.

That said, I think if you can do a couple of hours a week, you can probably still do some sprints here and there. I guess it depends on your natural ability also.

Good luck. Not much advice here, but just saying that I understand.
Dave
2005-04-25 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
*oopppsss....hit submit twice*

Edited by auto208562 2005-04-25 12:28 PM
2005-04-25 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Honestly, I say do what you can for now and the time will magically appear as you progress. I know that sounds silly, but that's how it worked for me. Last year around this time, I decided to try a tri and all summer long, it seemed like a tremendous stretch to get in the time for training for a sprint. But I finished my first and second tris with less training than was recommended even...

This year, I'm training for an oly and it's been totally painless. My lifestyle has changed, but since I didn't force it, but rather just did what I was so stoked about, I hardly even noticed! Then this month, I've been on my bike tons for the 'Ride Lots' Challenge and again, it feels like a stretch. I'm sure that towards the end of the summer, this won't feel like much at all again.

So, just enjoy doing what you have time to do and slowly, the time will come from some other activity that is less important to you....

2005-04-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: #147676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thank you Dave.... I was just venting
I understand, I am so glad I am done with school!
2005-04-25 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Good vent!  I feel your pain...somehow it feels like I'm running for 'poster boy' for sleep deprivation.  I've got OLY / 1/2 training, work, grad school, single parent of 2, and race director for a century ride...let's just say I'm 'familiar' with the concept...

But I can confirm, just like Kim said...you just take what you can, when you can, and over time, it'll get better.  Sometimes for me that means that I have to take a race that I wanted to really jam and turn it into a long training session 'cause I'm just not trained.  But with every month it gets easier, you find ways to opportunistically squeeze in workouts, and become world-class at prioritization. 

In the meantime, good luck with the upcoming race.  And if you can be easy on yourself, do it!  No rediculous expectations, they've been known to trash a beautiful race afternoon.  Smile, have fun, and things will sort themselves out. 

2005-04-25 4:22 PM
in reply to: #147746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
rkreuser - 2005-04-25 2:21 PM

Good vent!  I feel your pain...somehow it feels like I'm running for 'poster boy' for sleep deprivation.  I've got OLY / 1/2 training, work, grad school, single parent of 2, and race director for a century ride...let's just say I'm 'familiar' with the concept...

WOW!!!! You deserve all my respect!
Single parent of 2! Grad school! Training! Work!
You put it all in perspective
My new mantra: Stop whining, Stop whining, Stop whining...

After training for a marathon I thought this would be piece of cake...
Boy I was wrong! I'll think of you...
Thanks a bunch guys!
2005-04-25 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
Ive been biking 150-200 miles a durring the week along with going to high school, and working 30 hour weekends detailing cars, just to earn a few bucks to take a girl to the movies and out to dinner....

I feel your pain, but in the end we ropablly will all learn something from this
2005-04-26 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
I can relate too but I agree that it takes time to get used to it. Whenever my coach increases my schedule, I complain, but then in a couple of weeks I'm asking for more. It just takes time to get used to it, to continue to shave minutes off of lower-priority daily tasks and to get more efficient with your time when doing the necessary things. It's just like working up to a new speed or distance with your training. Don't try and do too much at once. Just stay committed and let it happen slowly over time.

They've called nutrition the 4th discipline of Triathlon. Maybe they should call time management the 5th!

Mike
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tri Balancing Act Rss Feed