Fayetteville, New York
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 59s
Overall Rank = 7/271
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

woke up early, couldn't sleep. had some coffee, PB with banana and white bread.
Event warmup:

nothing.....walked around. local event so I saw a lot of people I knew and spoke with them. It was a lot of fun to participate in a local event and chad with friends.
Swim
  • 12m 34s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

just a great swim. i'm liking the swim portion more and more. I really feel as if I can get better. this is where I can get faster overall the quickest. I just need to continue to swim.
What would you do differently?:

nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

great T1, but I feel as if I could have gone faster...not much...few seconds. I was 5 overall. My transitions saved me one position in the overall rankings.

not much....get WS off quicker at the ankles. If I could master a running mount, I'd of been out of there in 40-45 seconds.
Bike
  • 31m 50s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 23.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoy this bike course. Started out of transition and had a little problem getting clipped in. nothing major. I has no clue where I was coming out of the water, my guess was 30th, so I expected to pass a lot on the bike. I only passed 4-5, than I realized, I must have passed a good amount in T-1. Bike was going great, played cat and mouse with one guy, but mostly just pushed it. I love the bike.

Came to first major hill, but I've been here before, about 25 times in training. 26 would be no different. just go. hard. got to the top of the first and was ready to puke, but said, relax, downhill coming up. I knew you had to brake at this down hill as I've done it plenty of times, so instead of taking the hill hard and slowing down, I just coasted all the way down...worked great as I still needed to brake slightly. made the turn and hammered away. came to 2nd hill, and some idiot in a car is blocking entry back (asking for directions) into the park where the big hill begins. I scream, because really I don't know what to say, and the volunteer says, "you gotta go man!!!" I was TOd as I had to break, and ANY momentum you have going up this you will need. I said screw it.

Repeating up these hills was my Saturday morning for the past 3 months. Every time I thought about race day. Here I was, ready to grind up this bi-atch. No time to slow down, just go. Wanted so badly to take it easy, but wouldn't let myself do it. Saw the pine tree at the top that marks the end of the hill, and got ready for the speedy decent.

I just went, fast as I could. Maxed out at 41.9 MPH,

Came into T2, saw only a handful of bikes, at that point I knew top 10 was in my grasp.

suck it up and pedal harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

smoked T2. 4th overall. 1 problem was instead of being able to slip out of one bike shoe, it un-clipped. than it hit me...I was supposed to tighten the pedal on that side...oh well. luckily I got a spot right by bike-in. racked my bike, slipped on my shoes, helmet off. Run.

tighten pedal like I told myself I should have. 3-5 second mistake. nothing major.
Run
  • 20m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

left T-2, and heard a good friend of mine from tri-club say, "suck it up mike. go get 'em." When I heard that, I knew I was in good position. I could tell by the tone of his voice....passed a couple people, than a lady coming the other way said, "you're 5 behind...go go go." Thats why I love tri's...no clue who this was, she had no clue who I was, but clearly was supporting me. One guy passed me and said, "C'mon, lets go..." So I picked it up and ran with him for 2-3 minutes and we had a good chat. It was just him and me, side by side, clearly competing in a good way. I was going as fast as I could, sub 6's. He finally said, "I never should of told you to pick it up." We both laughed, hung with him some more, than I could hold the pace any longer. Well, I should have.

Coming in the end, it happened...got chicked! No problem with that, as it was Kristen White, local running champ who pretty much wins overall female in anything she shows up to....I took pride in sticking with her till the very end.

I approached the finish line, and I could hear my brother yelling, "GO MIKE...GO!!!" Gave it everything I had, crossed at 1:05:59. I owe my brother a drink for sub 1:06!! hahaha,

suck it up man. I just need to suck it up and go. When am I going to run until I puke? Clearly, I just feel as though I'm leaving some out there. not much, 1-2 maybe 3 minutes. I just need to realize this hurts. Make it hurt more.
Post race
Warm down:

I made sure to introduce myself to Matt Migonis. Kid is a stud. went sub 1:00, next closest was over 4 minutes behind him. $hit...I just realized I was only 1:45 behind 2 overall. A lot of time in a sprint, but clearly something I can reach for.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

noting

Event comments:

well, let me first say I love this race. Cant get any more local than this. Saw a ton of people I know. And I hung with some guys I clearly admire in the sport. I recall last year volunteering at a tri and seeing some of these very guys kick butt. I love this sport and I am just pumped that I am doing well.

Improvement needs to continue. I need to train more. I need to suck it up at the end of races. I need to hurt more at the end.

My wife, as usual, did a smoken job with the pictures and supporting me during the race. anytime she saw me, she gave me a huge supporting yell....seeing her and the kids on the course is always a jolt of energy.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:34 | 875 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 20/271
Performance: Good
good swim. My plan was to follow a guy I know from tri club who is a great swimmer, but lost him at the start. I did find a set of legs and proceeded to draft very well. I could literally feel myself in the stream, and my stroke count was way down. Very easy swim and I got out feeling good. drafting is the way to go, just gotta get better at it.
Suit: BS Helix
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:50 | 12.43 miles | 23.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 7/271
Wind: None
Course: fast course with 2 big hills. last hill goes into park and you had hit some pretty good speeds.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:12 | 03.11 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 17/271
Course: nice trail run with a couple hills. love this run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-20 2:14 PM

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon

2009-06-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2230815

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon

Fan-frickin-tastic race Mike!!! Holy cow that was fast! I'm kinda glad I didn't make it up to race today. What's up with the 20:09, didn't want the sub 20 bad enough? Just kidding of course, your running blows me away!

Great race and thanks a bunch for grabbing my packet!

2009-06-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2230834

User image

Master
syracuse
rstocks3 - 2009-06-20 3:40 PM

Fan-frickin-tastic race Mike!!! Holy cow that was fast! I'm kinda glad I didn't make it up to race today. What's up with the 20:09, didn't want the sub 20 bad enough? Just kidding of course, your running blows me away!

Great race and thanks a bunch for grabbing my packet!

Ha!!  funny....

you bet!!

hey, I forget to mention, if you want the Medium instead of the XL, let me know....neither one is my size....

of course, if you ordered the XL, its all yours....

I can hang onto it until mini-muscle (you working the BT tent?) or pop it in the mail....

2009-06-21 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2230815

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Great race! Where did you get the splits?

Sweet wheels too =)

Edited by steves_training 2009-06-21 7:32 AM
2009-06-21 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2231552

User image

Master
syracuse
steves_training - 2009-06-21 8:31 AM Great race! Where did you get the splits? Sweet wheels too =)

whats up Steve!

thanks!

here is the site for splis:
http://www.fleetfeetrochester.com/files/Image/Green_Lakes_Overall_Results_2009.pdf
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed