Tri Minnesota Triathlon Racing Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 42s
Overall Rank = 375/457
Age Group = M31-34
Age Group Rank = 35/37
Pre-race routine:

Let me first start off by saying this was my first Triathlon. It was embarrasing as to just how much I was out of shape but deciding to do this has really helped change that.
I was racing for my little man Sam who was born just 4 weeks ago. I hope to continue this lifestyle in order to have many active years with him!
I am excited to finally write one of these after reading so many of them!

Was up at about 5 to feed Sam, eat a bagel with peanut butter, loaded up the car. I live in same city as the race so it didn't take long to get there.
Event warmup:

I set up transition area, jogged down to the beach start to check that out. Saw the line for the portajohns was way to long so I biked down to the McDonalds to do my final business, one of my better moves all day! Swam about 75yds to get used to water before start.
Swim
  • 17m 4s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I picked up my packet on Friday night and the lady informed me I was in the first wave. Not sure why but I wasn't happy with that. I think being it was my first time I wanted to just watch how other did things etc... Turned out it wasn't a big deal and was probably better as there was less traffic. I was very suprised that I really wasn't nervous, I felt comfortable with the swim. Slow and steady was my plan and that is exactly what I did. I sighted really well, got through traffic good, and swam at a steady pace and did freestyle the entire time. My time was easily the best time I have ever swam but I heard some people say the course was a little short. I am taking it as a great performance :)
What would you do differently?:

I sat towards the back of the pack. I didn't want to "get in anyone's way", but that put me with the swimmers that were worse than me and they were doing all kind of strokes and swimming in all directions! So maybe next time do wait so far back
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I think that is pretty good for my first time. I had THE longest run to my bike than anyone from the swim.so I am sure that added a little time. I took a spot at one of the outside racks, again I didn't want to get in the way of the people who knew what they were doing!
I have to wear socks to the biggest time consumer was getting socks on, it went well just takes time. Put shoes on, helmet on, grabbed bike and took off!

Not sure I would do a whole lot different, maybe get there a little early to find a better transition spot. I don't feel like I struggled with anything or wasted big chunks of time
Bike
  • 55m 36s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Based on my training I was hoping to ave 15mph. Clearly this meant I was going to get passed ALOT, and I did. OH well, slow and steady was the idea and I accomplised that and then some. I was actually over 15 so I was thrilled. I felt comfortable on the bike, I probably could have pushed harder but I am even slower/weaker on the run than I am in the water and on the bike (believe it or not) so I wanted to leave a little something. For some reason I said Hi, Good Morning, Thank you to every cop and volunteer. All the speed demons just would fly by them and they were all so nice and lit up when they were acknowledged and they were doing a great job. Lets be honest, with as slow as I am I have the time! Guess it made me feel a little better as well.
With about 1 mile to go I finally passed another biker, didn't think I would pass anyone all day and turns out it was THE ONLY ONE I did pass!!!

Just more time in the saddle (be conditioned better) but for this race, nothing, I was pleased with the bike from my mount to dismount.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Again I think it was just a very solid transition. I did grab some water and pour it on my head so maybe could have cut 10 seconds, but I was happy.

Nothing
Run
  • 33m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where my good strong race faced reality. My overall goal time was 2 hours. I was well a head of that pace coming into the run, however I knew the run was going to be a struggle for me no matter what I did on the swim and bike. I just dont like to run, its hard on my legs (but that is getting better due to the fact I have dropped 17lbs since I started training). I never have been good at it and its just a struggle. this was no different. I just couldn't settle into a good pace with my breathing and it was getting really hot. I ended up walking more than I wanted but kept the "breaks" to only about a min each time. I have to say the best part of the run was the other runners. There were probably a dozen other runners that were "cheering" me on, telling me I was looking good and to keep pushing. I was suprised how much that helped, and how many runners said it. It was amazing and after I made the turn and saw others like me I said the same things to them and I hope it helped them as well. Finally the finishig line was in sight and I really had a strong kick in, again it was great to have everyone cheering you in, just so much different than I have expierenced in other sports!

Just keep working on the run, it will come
Post race
Warm down:

Not much I was pretty spent, my family was great and came out to cheer me on, so nice having then there. hung out with them and talked to a few other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training. I need to and will train more and better. That being said, I smoked my goal of 2hrs by about 10 mins and I am still in shock. I really thought 2 hours was going to be hard, so I am extremley happy with my results.
Thanks to everyone here on BT for all the help, advice, suggestions, it has helped so much!

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:04 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/37
Overall: 335/457
Performance: Good
Suit: QR UltraJohn sleeveless
Course: Straight out from beech, 90 degree turn to the right, then parallel to the shore until last buoy which was another 90 degree turn to the right
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:36 | 15 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/37
Overall: 363/457
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and Back I don't have a lot to compare it to but it felt like it was mostly rolling hills with some bigger hills around the turnaround
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:10 | 03 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 407/457
Performance:
Course: Out and Back, really flat, sidewalks and old railroad bed covered in crushed limestone around Lake Minnetonka.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-20 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: Lake Minnetonka Triathlon

2009-06-21 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2231424

Expert
Subject: RE: Lake Minnetonka Triathlon
Nice job! You picked a great race for your 1st outdoor tri. Your report is fun to read and it looks like everything went about to plan.

More time in the saddle and your times will start dropping like a rock.

Great job getting out there doing the race!
2009-06-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2231563

Great report. Sounds like you really enjoyed the entire day, the time afterwards with family and the challenge of the entire ordeal.

Still preparing for my first....

thanks for the read.
2009-06-21 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

Congratulations! 

I was going to shout out at the beach for anyone in in wave 1 that was from BT.  If there was more time, I would have come over and said hello.

I'm glad to see that there are others cheering everybody else on and saying hello to the volunteers as well.  That's important, I think.

2009-06-21 10:12 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-21 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2231742

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You smoked you goal time - congrats!  And you managed the swim great, which is often the hardest bit for a new triathlete.  You did really well on the run considering how much you hate it   I promise that will get better with time.  Congratulations, Triathlete!

2009-06-22 7:58 AM

Minneapolis, MN
Way to shatter your goal time of 2 hours! Your report was really fun to read. I imagine the volunteers and cops really appreciated you saying hello to them all
2009-06-22 8:25 AM

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks everyone for the support.  I think I would have been really lost had it not been for this site and the people on it. 
I read lots and lots of your race reports and learned a ton.  I really felt comfortable and like I knew what i was doing.  Even my parents asked if I had done one and not told anyone cause they were impressed with how smooth it went (espically the transitions).
The only bummer is I didn't get so met up with any other BT'ers to say Hi and Thanks.
next time Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Minnetonka Triathlon Rss Feed