United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 36m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

3:45am wakeup, pack and on the road, then a small breakfast at the start (bagel and coffee)
Event warmup:

Nothing...let the legs stretch themselves up
Bike
  • 8h 36m 17s
  • 147.97 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

So this was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I didn't train up enough for the race and because of that I had two issues. First, I had some issues on the hills. I kept getting dropped on the ascents because I simply didn't train enough on them. The simple solution is to get more hill work in, it's the only way to prepare for ascents like the ones we had today.

The second issue was one of stamina. It's hard to really know what 150 miles on a bike feels like until you've done it, and unfortunately I hadn't done nearly that amount, finishing my training with a max around 70. Another simple solution: longer training sessions.

Those aside, it was a great--if extremely painful--experience. I had some major cramping issues on two different occasions--thankfully a guy I had met on the ride had salt tablets he was nice enough to share--and I did something to my right knee around mile 100 that just got worse and worse. I don't think it's anything serious, but it made the last 25 or so miles much more painful than they should have been.
What would you do differently?:

Training, training and more training. I got some decent miles in these past few months but not nearly enough and not nearly enough hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Shower, see the MD in the medical tent to check my knee, then beer and food...exactly what I needed after the ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, cramping issues, knee injury

Event comments:

I can't say enough about the organization of this event, they put on a fantastic race. They have Mavic on hand to help with mechanical issues, food stations throughout the race, vans driving around to check in on riders, a fantastic post-race celebration, vans back to Boston...they really do a great job with this event. It is much more an 'experience' than a race and they do everything in their power to make sure everyone has a great experience.

Last updated: 2009-06-21 12:00 AM
Biking
08:36:17 | 147.97 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: From Boston, MA to Windsor, VT. The first 50 miles are pretty flat, no real climbs to speak of. Then a 1400 foot ascent over 9 miles at about 50 miles, with rolling hills until mile 90, where there's a brutal 1300, 4 mile climb. A nice descent for the next few miles, then rolling in to the finish.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: Harpoon B2B

2009-06-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2231649

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Harpoon B2B
Good job!
I had every intention of doing this but then it got scheduled for the same day as patriot and I was already signed up.  Next year....
I did volunteer wednesday night and stuffed packets - looks like an awesome if painful event!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harpoon B2B Rss Feed