Sun Sport Events
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 31m 10s
Overall Rank = 145/318
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30a, threw race kit on and checked out of hotel. Got to race site right at 5am and headed for check-in, body marking and to set up transition. Guess I hadn't read that it was assigned rack spots, so no need to get there early and claim a spot. Not to mention that they weren't quite ready and just starting to label rack assignments. Hung around, got set up, chatted with people nearby, and more wandering around waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Walking around in my wetsuit... on the soggy grass that was transition. Ick.
Swim
  • 25m 56s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. I quickly settled into a nice rythym, but found nobody to draft off of... and was doing a piss-poor job of navigation (could swim a straight line). Made it around to the end thinking that it wasn't bad at all... felt great... arms not even close to tired. Got wetsuit halfway down running into T1 and did a double take at my watch. 26 minutes??? No way. The course was WAAAAAY short... I'm guessing not more than 1500 yards instead of 2112 yards. Bummer.
What would you do differently?:

Wear GPS to measure the course??
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

As usual for me, slow. Can't get a wetsuit off my giant feet to save my life, despite a heavy layer of body glide. That's what you get with size 11W feet and a women's "large" wetsuit.

Now that I own a wetsuit, gonna chop off a couple more inches to make bigger leg openings... maybe it'll be easier.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 30s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

By no means spectacular... but my best bike split ever and on the smallest amount of bike training. Go figure. Maybe b/c I was training on routes that had more/longer/steeper climbs?? Dunno. But I went hard from the start and held 19.2mph for the first half. Pulled back a bit not wanting to totally fry myself and my left glute was getting very unhappy for some reason. Encountered some obnoxious people. The usual pace line of fast dudes... I swear I see this sh*t at every race. And a couple times I had 2 chicks riding side by side taking up the whole friggin' lane making me cross the double yellow to pass. Did a fair amount of leap-frogging with some people... and even passed several people on fancy carbon tri bikes... always nice to do riding a cro-mo roadie. :)

More biking... duh! Oh yeah... and not forget to lube up... yeah... realized that at mile 47 and explained why I was so freakin' uncomfortable.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Holy moly. Getting off that bike and running in bike shoes, sore glute, over lumpy grass. Ow ow ow.. slow. Good otherwise, just wish I had a better rack spot. Quick shoe change, grabbed hat and gels and took off.

Gotta get some tri shoes and learn flying mount/dismount
Run
  • 1h 53m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling pretty cruddy. I suspect I didn't eat enough on the bike and should've had some salt as well, but didn't pack any and hate Heed. Shuffled along cursing that I wasn't passing many people, but then I'd gone faster on the bike and was further up in the field than normal... and had expended more energy. First station, asked for water, got Heed. ICK!!! Right after, right quad started cramping, stopped the try and stretch, but when I pulled my ankle back to my butt, the back of my thigh started cramping. Gave up, said a few choice word, and shuffled on. Things didn't start feeling better until ~4 miles in. Started taking in more fluid as it was getting warm out. Began to pick it up the last few miles trying to get in a run <1:50, but knew I wouldn't be able to. Sadly, wasn't enjoying the run nearly as much as I usually do.

Not fry myself on the bike. More bricks (which requires more biking). Stay on top of nutrition... and stay far far far away from Hammer products. Blech.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my spiffy medal (a cassette cog), water bottle... and cool wet washcloth (awesome!!!). Wiped down and wet to snag my gear from transition and change clothes before grabbing food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training and bricks. Perhaps nutrition as well.

Event comments:

Race was pretty well done, but for being the "Premier MA half iron distance tri" it should have an accurately measure swim course... or at least close enough for me not to notice. But they had great volunteer support... especially on the bike course, tons of volunteers... it would be impossible to get lost!

Last updated: 2009-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:56 | 1500 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 134/318
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Fuzion Sleeveless
Course: Supposed to be 1.2 miles. They now say 1.0 miles... but that still seems off. I don't swim *that* fast!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:30 | 58 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Overall: 205/318
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops of undulating terrain. Generally easy grades, very short inclines, with the exception of perhaps 2 steeper bits, but still very short. Never needed the granny gear.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:53:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 107/318
Performance: Average
Course: Like the bike, undulating terrain, which got to be really annoying.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Patriot Triathlon

2009-06-21 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2232216

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
awesome job!  you had a fast run for someone cramping!!!! I couldn't hold that pace for a 10k!

and yeah I saw the pace line guys too - and just laughed - I mean really, you are that desperate to look good? even in a tiny race? never understood how cheaters thought....

this is the first year that the swim was off - they set the course friday night so wind???? and last year there were a few bike spots not so well staffed/labeled....so one problem for another....

congrats!
2009-06-22 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey sounds like you had a very good race. I looked at all the swim times and must have been very short. I can't believe you got to transition so early, YAWN!!

Great job and very nice biking too!!
2009-06-22 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Great job, all considered!  Bummer the swim course was too short, but congratulations on the fastest-ever bike split and a solid HIM half-marathon as well!

2009-06-23 10:52 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Great Race even the circunstances on your run....and...still you got 5th and sub6h...!!!

Congrats on your 5th AG...WTG...!!!!

2009-06-23 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Excellent job!  You're a fricken stud.  You're a better cyclist than you give yourself credit for. 

You must have been in serious pain--as you were running my pace!  :-)  Ok my pace when I do a half without that pesky bike and swim!  

You rule!

2009-06-26 9:18 AM

User image

Nice Race Jess.  That's a Kona-like swim time  

Great bike and decent run.  I know all too well about not running 13.1 as well as you'd like.  That's the runner in us.  My goal is to someday run a HIM Half Mary even remotely close to what I runa stand-alone Half Mary.

Stop being so hard on yourself, many people would kill to cover 70.3 miles in 5 1/2 hours.  EXCELLENT JOB.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Triathlon Rss Feed