United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 47s
Overall Rank = 31/252
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 and took a shower - body glide the body and put on race gear. I had a bowl of cereal, toast and peanut butter, and 1 cup of coffee. I packed the car up last night so did not have to do much there. We got on the road about 5:30 for the 1 hour and 10 minute drive to Hopkins. I decided to go through Holland and not go east to GR (this was a mistake). Holland had 80 mph winds and lotso rain which flooded out all the streets on the way. After turning around 3 times at flooded roads, I just decided to take 196 to GR and come in from the east which worked out okay but got me there much later than i wanted. we got there just past 7 for an 8 am start.
Event warmup:

I immediately went to check in and the line was humongous so got my bike and gear ready instead. Went back to get my chip and there was no line at that point. I had to rush to get my stuff ready and did not have any time to get warmed up on the bike or get some run strides in.
The guy next to me in transition was setting up his own personal locker room. He had about a 4 foot wide section with a small table and a buffet of energy supplements (quite amusing) but we only had 6 people on the rack so no big deal just kinda ridiculous.
I got my stuff laid out and had to put the wetsuit on right away and get warmed up in the water. Swam about 100 yards and got out for instructions and national anthem. GU 20 minutes before start.
Swim
  • 26m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the first wave (Men under 40) and seeded myelf on the far right in the second row back. The gun went and just followed feet the first 50 yards before sighting. I ended up jostling with the same guy for the first 250 yards until I finally got away from him. He ended up giving me a right hook and knocking my goggles loose which I quickly got back in place. After that it was pretty much smooth sailing. I sighted extremely well and was never off course or zig zagging. I only seem to veer when I breathe to my right which I will have to work on in the future. I never really had a draft only becuase nobody was really near me - especially on the back stretch. The wind kicked up some chop and was in our face on the way out but helping on the way home.
I ended up getting out of the water in 26:30 and had a 30 second run up the sand to transition. I was pretty happy with my swim time and felt good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

nothing - keep working in the pool and building muscular endurance on the swim to improve my time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Transition was good - a little slower than normal for some reason. I was 3rd in my AG here.

nothing - it was ok.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was blowing probably 15 mph from the west and was very noticeable on the first out and back section. I actually had to go to the small chain ring and was probably only going 16 mph for portions because it was blowing so hard. The way back though I was flying and got my HR back into a descent spot. There were alot of rolling hills and a couple descent climbs but nothing that got me out of the saddle. There was alot of gravel and limbs and washed out areas due to the storms last night but they did a good job getting most of it cleared. I passed quite a few people and only got passed by 3 or 4 people. The womens leader and one other guy caught me at the 2nd turnaround and we flip flopped the entire way home. I would pass her on the climbs and she would pass me on the downhills and repeat. I got my feet out of my shoes and went smoothly into transition if you dont count losing my shoe at the dismount line (I got that later).
My bike legs just did not seem to show up today and not sure why. I had this race at the end of a recovery week and most of my bikes this week were easy spins so not sure here. I wanted to average around 22mph here but came up well short of that. This is where sub 2:20:00 went out the window.
Nutrition: 1.5 servings Gu2O (210 calories)

Nothing - I feel like I set myself up well for a good run but legs just did not have the jump today (oh well).
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

This was a quick transition - racked the bike and it slid off so had to do it again - got my helmet off and slipped into my shoes. I put on the visor and grabbed my race belt and off I went. I was having some trouble latching the race belt and one of the volunteers was screaming at me to get my number to the front. Easy lady, I have not even got it latched yet (the volunteers were great by the way).
I was the first one of that bike group out of transition and the womens leader was right behind me.

Just need to tighten my race belt and get it latched quicker. This was a pretty standard transition.
Run
  • 43m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out of transition and the womens leader was right behind me. I knew that she went 2:16:xx last year and she started 3 minutes behind me so if I could stay in front of her or with her I might be able to go sub 2:20:00 so that was the plan.
There was water over the road in the first half mile that we slogged through and that added a couple pounds to the feet until it dried out. My calves were a little tight for the first couple miles but loosened up and I was able to get my HR in a comfortable spot by the first aid station. I took water at every aid station (no additional calories on the run). The womens leader was right on my shoulder for the next 2 miles and then she started to pull away a bit. I kept her in my sights for the rest of the run however. I was feeling pretty good on the run and about mile 3 pondered picking it up a bit but thought i would wait till the last 1.5 and see how I felt. It got noticeably hot and humid as we went along. I got passed by a couple people in the park and passed 2 or 3 other people. The residents in the park were awesome and offered lots of encouragement which was good. I was pushing pretty good the last couple miles and began to hurt from the effort (the why the hell do i do this phase) but wanted to finish strong and leave it all out there. The finish line was packed with people and felt great to run up the last straightway. I saw the clock from a distance and 2:21:xxx danm it!! I really hoped I could get that goal but I was happy with the run and knew I put together a good split. Sub 7 minute miles on an Olympic 10K was kind of another goal that I wanted to achieve and was happy that I was able to put it together.

I probably needed some more water as I was losing fluids pretty quickly during the run. I gave it all I had and was the best I could do today.
Post race
Warm down:

I had some water and gatorade, yogurt, bagel and just hung out until awards. They posted results and had me 3rd in 25-29 which was good. The first 2 were 2:15 and 2:16 so kinda smoked me. I asked the womens winner if she was getting sick of me out there and she laughed and said she like having somebody to pace off of.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike split was not great...this is usually my best area and today it was not.

Event comments:

This is a very good race and the volunteers and park residents were great. They did a good job getting that course ready after the storms. I will defintely come back again.

Last updated: 2008-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 68/252
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: elongated rectangle - counterclockwise - keeping buoys on your left - 1 loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:03 | 24.85 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course had to be revised due to the flooding on the second out and back section. They added an out and back section further to the north which was actually pretty nice roadways but probably a little more traffic.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:16 | 06.21 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Good
Course: First 2 miles around the perimeter of the park on country roads and the rest through the park roadways and pathways. There was intermittent shade. Aid Stations every 1.5 miles with water and gatorade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Johans Tri-Fest

2009-06-24 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2232386

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: Johans Tri-Fest
Great race.  If the winds had been a little less, I think you would have made your sub 2:20 goal. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri-Fest Rss Feed