Bellin
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 57s
Overall Rank = 8072/14018
Age Group = F 19-24
Age Group Rank = 473/765
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had some water and a diet coke, decided what to wear and threaded my time chip to my shoe.
Event warmup:

After parking walked to the meeting point to meet Joan and her sister, then walked to the wave staging area. Then to the start line. That was enough of a warm-up. Not like this was a big deal race.
Run
  • 1h 15m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Did this run with my dad, Joan, Sue (Joan's sister), and Alicia. First mile was mostly moving in and out of others the whole time. We sadly lost Alicia during that first time. I could tell it was already heating up. Dad and Joan were both out after bad respiratory problems so we were taking it easy doing a 3/2 run/walk and that went well for about 2 miles. Then we hit about mile 2.5 and Joan decided to walk for awhile. Dad and I continued on and mixed up our run/walk and walk/run based off of the hills and water stops. We kept at it and was around 37 minutes for the first half. Then things really started to heat up and my toes started to rub in my shoes. About a mile or so from the finish I stopped sweating and knew I was starting to overheat. We slowed a bit but kept at it so we could get to the finish. Made the final push and got across the line. Dad finished one second a head of me! Congrats to everyone who finished!
What would you do differently?:

Start hydrating earlier on. Wear something cooler. Be smarter about the temperature and conditions
Post race
Warm down:

Walked from the finish line to the park, grabbed lots of water and downed it, grabbed the food they handed out and then went and got more gatorade and tried to rehydrate. Finally sat down when I thought the liquid situation was better under control.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration and the overall crowd

Event comments:

If you like crowds this is your race. With 17000 people, there is no way to PR on this race. You do it to be part of one of the biggest 10K in the country. Besides that, there isn't much of a reason to go through so many people. The wave start too forever to get across the start line but it did help with crowds. The finish was much better :)

Last updated: 2009-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:57 | 06.21 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 473/765
Overall: 8072/14018
Performance: Average
Course: It was the same as last year...a loop around downtown Green Bay. There is a steady incline for the first mile or so and then a good downhill right after that...the back half is flat and has very few trees so it was sunny.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes