General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I suck at getting up early in the morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-21 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
Subject: I suck at getting up early in the morning

I suck at getting up early in the morning. I just can't do it the way I want. I have been taking triathlon training seriously for the last month, but getting up early just has not happened. I would love to get up at 4:30-5:00 and knock out the runs, swims and bike rides.

But I have been mostly swimming at night, around 9:30pm, running in the late morning, or afternoon, and biking whenever else I can. My bike rides have been suffering the most as I have not been on long enough rides.

I am very busy, work full-time as most do, but I also coach one of my kid's sports team which takes up a lot of time and will for the next 6 weeks.

It would be so much better if I could get up early, but I tend to just keep pressing the snooze button until its too late. I know I should go to bed earlier, like now, instead of typing this at 10:15pm. I have always been a night owl, and never good at getting up early.

Let me know your thoughts.

-- Gary

2009-06-21 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2232660

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: I suck at getting up early in the morning

GaryGnu - 2009-06-21 9:21 PM
I suck at getting up early in the morning. I just can't do it the way I want. I have been taking triathlon training seriously for the last month, but getting up early just has not happened. I would love to get up at 4:30-5:00 and knock out the runs, swims and bike rides.

But I have been mostly swimming at night, around 9:30pm, running in the late morning, or afternoon, and biking whenever else I can. My bike rides have been suffering the most as I have not been on long enough rides.

I am very busy, work full-time as most do, but I also coach one of my kid's sports team which takes up a lot of time and will for the next 6 weeks.

It would be so much better if I could get up early, but I tend to just keep pressing the snooze button until its too late. I know I should go to bed earlier, like now, instead of typing this at 10:15pm. I have always been a night owl, and never good at getting up early.

Let me know your thoughts.

-- Gary

Yep, me too, just got to do it though otherwise the family time takes too much of a hit...

2009-06-21 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
i'm right there with ya. i've actually done pretty well the last week but i know it wont last. i need help with this too.
2009-06-21 9:29 PM

Regular

I won't get up early to train because I work a physically demanding job and do not like beating myself to death to then beat myself to death at work.  But I do wake up at 5:30am everyday to get to work and then I have evening classes from 6-8.  I normally workout between 4-6 which is between work and school.  Though sometimes work goes long and I work out after school.

Raceday wake up is horrible for me.  I normally get to a race with little time to spare.  For my 1st 10k I had to run literally a mile to register, a mile back to drop my crap off, and then I grabbed my mountain bike and sprinted the mile back to just make the start in time.  I prayed no one stole my bike because i just had it zip tied to a fence.  I was also sweating bullets at the start.

If they could move races to noon I'd be in heaven.  I can deal with heat easily (I work in it everyday).  The early morning wake up is a different story.

2009-06-21 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
can't help you to much...i've tried to get up early as well and it just doesn't happen...some people just can't get up early, plus if you suck at getting your sleep at night (due to insomnia) getting up early is not gonna happen...I just workout right after I get off of work, gym clothes already in my car.
2009-06-21 9:38 PM

See the thread titled "Motivation" 

I'v just given up sleeping...

My new favorite thing to say to myself is,

"Somewhere, someone else is training now, and when he races you, he will beat you" 
That, and usually by that point, I have been having that argument in my head for like 15 minutes, so Im not asleep anymore anyway.  You are going to get up to pee anyway.. might as well just throw your stuff on and go. Best time of the year (except ski season) up here in the northeast with almost 12 hours of daylight (it's going theother way now

Try sleeping in your stuff, or most of it, and lay your stuff out for the next day.  Saves you effort and takes excuses away.

When all else fails just think about how much harder it is to leave the family for 2 or 4 hours when they are awake and what to be with you.  Just get your work done when they are asleep.

Either all of that, or go to bed earlier.  That reminds me, I should be in bed now.

2009-06-21 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2232696

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
meblack - 2009-06-21 10:35 PM can't help you to much...i've tried to get up early as well and it just doesn't happen...some people just can't get up early, plus if you suck at getting your sleep at night (due to insomnia) getting up early is not gonna happen...I just workout right after I get off of work, gym clothes already in my car.

Thankfully, I have no problems with that. I sleep like a rock. That's part of the problem I think.
2009-06-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2232704

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
chandy14ski - 2009-06-21 10:38 PM See the thread titled "Motivation" 

I'v just given up sleeping...

My new favorite thing to say to myself is,

"Somewhere, someone else is training now, and when he races you, he will beat you" 
That, and usually by that point, I have been having that argument in my head for like 15 minutes, so Im not asleep anymore anyway.  You are going to get up to pee anyway.. might as well just throw your stuff on and go. Best time of the year (except ski season) up here in the northeast with almost 12 hours of daylight (it's going theother way now

Try sleeping in your stuff, or most of it, and lay your stuff out for the next day.  Saves you effort and takes excuses away.

When all else fails just think about how much harder it is to leave the family for 2 or 4 hours when they are awake and what to be with you.  Just get your work done when they are asleep.

Either all of that, or go to bed earlier.  That reminds me, I should be in bed now.

Having the stuff laid out DOES help me sometimes.

Getting up to pee is sometimes how I actually do get up early. Other times I just happen to wake up at the right time, and I'm like "ok, I am staying up." Although sometimes I tell myself I will just lay back down for 30 minutes, and that NEVER works, but I know I'll fall for it again...

I have tried putting the alarm clock on the other side of the room. Doesn't really help, and it does annoy my wife.
2009-06-21 10:29 PM

User image

It's not that you can't.  It's that you won't.  It's not like someone is asking you to run a 5 minute mile, or do something you're physically incapable of.

It's very simple: If you want toget up early bad enough, you will (from another person that has a hard time at it

tough love, sorry  

Edited by ChrisM 2009-06-21 10:33 PM
2009-06-21 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2232696

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
meblack - 2009-06-21 9:35 PM

can't help you to much...i've tried to get up early as well and it just doesn't happen...some people just can't get up early, plus if you suck at getting your sleep at night (due to insomnia) getting up early is not gonna happen...I just workout right after I get off of work, gym clothes already in my car.

What she said.

IM training liked to kill me because I had to get up to train in the morning... and I had to train at night... so I couldn't push it to the evening.

Of course, by the last month of it I found creative ways to fit my swimming in after a bike ride.

Hate mornings. Hate them.

2009-06-22 5:17 AM

If it makes you feel any better. It has scientifically proven that working out in the morning is actually worst for you in the long term. Our blood pressure is at its highest between 6am-8am and the blood itself is sticky. Two things that can lead to heart problems.

- Zane

2009-06-22 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

People who can't get up early are typically the same people who can't bet to bed early.  If you have to swim at 9:30 pm, you simply won't get enough sleep if you want to wake up at 5 am the next morning.

If you normally go to sleep at 11 pm, try to go to sleep at 10:30 the next two weeks, then 10 pm the two weeks thereafter.  Moving bedtime gradually seems to be easier than major jumps (you won't be tired enough to fall asleep quickly).  Getting up early isn't hard if you can get to sleep early!

You have to work your training schedule around your life schedule.  Sometimes that simply means skipping a bunch of workouts to keep your life commitments and maintain sufficient sleep.

Brian

2009-06-22 8:37 AM

User image

Kinnelon, NJ
Seize the day.  Make it your b!tch.
2009-06-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2233079

User image

Zane - 2009-06-22 6:17 AM

If it makes you feel any better. It has scientifically proven that working out in the morning is actually worst for you in the long term. Our blood pressure is at its highest between 6am-8am and the blood itself is sticky. Two things that can lead to heart problems.

- Zane

HA! That's okay because by 6:00 I've already been up for 3 hours and have already done my first workout

The morning is great, no one's needing your attention, no one's calling and you can contemplate the day as you sweat.

Edited by DanielG 2009-06-22 8:52 AM
2009-06-22 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I sometimes have trouble with it, but honestly the answer here is HTFU.  It's as clear a case as any.

Edited by Experior 2009-06-22 8:54 AM
2009-06-22 8:54 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

ok, heres some more tough love for ya.

Change your perspective...

you would love to get up at 4:30-5:00?

sounds like you dread it and would rather drum up excuses as to why its not possible. Your busy with work and kids? Right now, as we chat on BT, there is a single mother of 5 who works 2 jobs, both of which demand she is on her feet the whole shift...and compared to some in the world, she's living the dream.

As we seek out the best time within our daily lives to fit in 2-3 hour workouts between our 9-5s and after our 1 hour t-ball games, she is trying to figure how to pay for her kids to play a sport, and when she does that, who the heck is going to drive them to and from the games/practice. And getting up is no problem for her, because if she doesn't, they'll be sleeping on the sidewalk tomorrow night.

first, eliminate the notion that time even exists. Time is just a variable like any other that allows us to schedule a day, week month or year. Than understand you have more time than 90% of most people in this world, and the real reason getting up at 4:30 AM is so difficult for us is because we have the luxury of it being optional.

2009-06-22 9:12 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Duuuude. Awesome post, cusetri. I may have to tape that to my bathroom mirror for those mornings when i'm whining about having to train before heading off to the hospital. Or days like today when i'm post-call and all i wanna do is veg out. Laughing
2009-06-22 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

http://www.sleeptracker.com/

I got this in the mail last week and it's awesome! It tracks your sleep cycles and wakes you up when it'll be the easiest. So you can pretty much hop out of bed all awake rather than feeling groggy and needing more sleep.

Back up options are setting a few different alarms. I have the Sleep Tracker watch, my phone for about the same time, then my alarm clock (Which I place clear across the room) about 10mins later so I have a snooze option haha. But putting it across the room is key so you actually have to get up and out of bed, then just stay up and get moving!

Shanks

2009-06-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2233441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
cusetri - 2009-06-22 9:54 AM

first, eliminate the notion that time even exists. Time is just a variable like any other that allows us to schedule a day, week month or year. Than understand you have more time than 90% of most people in this world, and the real reason getting up at 4:30 AM is so difficult for us is because we have the luxury of it being optional.

cusetri, that is hardcore awesomeness.  You just wrote my new motto for when my left arm reaches out to hit that SNOOZE button. 
2009-06-22 10:13 AM

Pro
yep,

HTFU.  Surprised no one has said this yet.  Just go to bed around 930-10ish and get up earlier. 

2009-06-22 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Good advice from all.

I am the same way this weekend I came up with new mantra "sleep less, do more"!

2009-06-22 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Decatur
why does he have to HTFU? no way dude. If you don't like it, then don't. just do your training at night as long as it fits in with your life.

who cares what other people do? including the people on this board. accept what you can do right now and just go with it.

(I fought that morning battle for my first 1 yr of tri's. I finally gave up this past march. and you know what? now I WANT to get up at 6 am to try to fit something in. but only because I'm not stressing myself out any more. And if i don't get up, who cares I'll just do it at night. I've been getting up at 4:45am for 1 thing Only. that's my 2x/week computrainer class. And let me tell ya...i've JUST started getting up to wear it's not a "issue" for me. Didn't matter if I went to sleep at 9pm or 10.)

screw what everyone else says. Do what you can do until you can do something else.
2009-06-22 11:23 AM

User image

, Arizona
Don't worry Gary, I sympathize! I had trouble getting up too, the alarm would go off and I'd hit snooze... or even just turn it off and say "mmm... warm cozy bed... I'll just lay here for a few minutes and then I will .... zzzzzz...."

This had become a real problem, I could NOT get up early because of the altered state of mind I'm in when I wake up. Some people can just jump out of bed, it's not always just a matter of HTFU when you aren't even aware of what's going on. So I decided I needed to change the game a bit, I knew that once I was OUT of bed I was good to go, I don't even need coffee to get started. My solution was this:

Step 1: Take your alarm, put it on the loudest most obnoxious sound it can spit out. For me, it was the Country radio station, I don't like it normally, but in the morning... somebodies going to pay if that isn't turned OFF RIGHT NOW!!! (no offense country fans )
Step 2: Your alarm is probably next to your bed, this was the key step for me. Put it on the other side of the room, this will force you to get out of bed to turn off your incredibly annoying alarm clock.
Step 3: You are probably slightly annoyed at this point (this is good!) and your alarm clock probably isn't too happy about the change, but you up standing and you've put some distance between you and that nice warm bed. Since you are up, might as well go work out!

It works for me, once I'm out of bed I have no trouble following through with any plans I had made for the morning.
2009-06-22 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2233782

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
latrina - 2009-06-22 11:26 AM why does he have to HTFU? no way dude. If you don't like it, then don't. just do your training at night as long as it fits in with your life.

who cares what other people do? including the people on this board. accept what you can do right now and just go with it.

(I fought that morning battle for my first 1 yr of tri's. I finally gave up this past march. and you know what? now I WANT to get up at 6 am to try to fit something in. but only because I'm not stressing myself out any more. And if i don't get up, who cares I'll just do it at night. I've been getting up at 4:45am for 1 thing Only. that's my 2x/week computrainer class. And let me tell ya...i've JUST started getting up to wear it's not a "issue" for me. Didn't matter if I went to sleep at 9pm or 10.)

screw what everyone else says. Do what you can do until you can do something else.

I suggested HTFU because OP said he WANTS to get up earlier, but isn't managing it.  I've got nothing against training in the evening, at noon, whenever.  For all I care OP can sleep 'till noon.  He said he WANTS to get up earlier, but instead hits the snooze button.  Sounds like HTFU to me.

cusetri:  yes, it is important to remember how fortunate we are to have time to train (or choose not to).  Let's bear in mind, also, that one of the serious hazards faced by the single mom that you described is long-term illness and stress due to sleep deprivation and overwork.  We want to remember how lucky we are, and better yet do something to help her out, but we don't necessarily want to emulate her sleeping patterns.  Early to bed is still a good idea...
2009-06-22 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2233079

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Zane - 2009-06-22 5:17 AM

- Zane

This sounds exactly how I feel when trying to do morning workouts. I'm accustomed to working out after work and find the evening is my peak performace level. A few years ago I switched jobs and was working hours that only allowed for early AM workouts. I tried for the whole year to get used to training between 6-8AM but never did. My workouts just sucked for that entire year, except when I was able to get in the occasional post noon or evening workout. I'm telling you that my body just will not function to the level I know it can in the morning (EXCPET on race days which are more adreneline driven) and after AM workouts I feel flu-like all day. No thanks!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I suck at getting up early in the morning Rss Feed  

of 3