General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Bismarck / SW Nodak Road Rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-21 9:31 PM

Expert
Subject: Good Bismarck / SW Nodak Road Rides?
I'll be visiting relatives in Bismarck and to the West and South (Dickinson / Bowman) and wanted to get some thoughts on good road rides in the area. I know the off road biking around Medora can be spectacular, but I want to get a few good road rides in, say 30-50 milers.

Any ideas? I don't need anything perfect, just some tips on what your favorite rides in the area are and where the bike-friendly roads (and shoulders) might be.

Thanks in advance!

2009-06-26 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2232689

User image

Subject: RE: Good Bismarck / SW Nodak Road Rides?
In Bismarck the ride I like best is to head south on 1804 up Mary University hill(park at the lot on south side of Apple Creek) then go east until the road turns south towards Glencoe Church, go north at this intersection to Menoken then come back west on old highway 10 until Lincoln road then go south until Lincoln turn west at Linclon and take the road until it T's on the East side of the airport. Then take the southwest road around the airport. Then were the road meets 1804 go south back to the parking lot by Apple creek.

You'll probably have to pull out a map or mapquest this but this should give you a good idea.

In Dickinson I either go up to Killdeer and ride HWY 22 north up to Mandaree or Drive to Grassy Butte and ride HWY north to the north unit of Teddy Roosevelt park. Turn into the park, pay 5 dollars ride through the park and back to Grassy Butte. The next Dickinson option is to drive to Medora park the car and ride the loop road in the south unit of the park.

In Bowman I ride the Rhame road south to where it T's at Table mountain and ride east on the north side of the Cave hills to where the county road T's into HWY 85.

The smoothest road in the state is HWY 12 east of Bowman heading toward Scranton.(might have changed this past winter but it used to be super smooth.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Bismarck / SW Nodak Road Rides? Rss Feed