Warm Springs, Virginia
United States
Set-up, Inc
Total Time = 1h 19m 8s
Overall Rank = 53/192
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/25
Pre-race routine:

After packet pick-up drove the bike and run courses to get an idea of what to expect... I planned to get up at 5:00, I ended up waking at 4:45 and just got up. Showered, shaved, and had a smoothie.
Event warmup:

Got to the race around 6:40am. Set up transition, went for a quick jog, then got the wet suit on and went for a quick swim. Would have liked to get there a little earlier for a longer warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 12s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did ok on the swim but had a hard time getting into a rhythm. Was my first deep water start and I started away from the pack closer to the shore and ended up swimming a longer distance to the first buoy. Tried to draft but by starting where I did, there were not as many people in front of me to draft off of. Continue to work on the swim even though it was my best discipline. Judging from my time however I think the course was longer than 750m. Did feel some waves due to boats flying by even though they were in the distance...
What would you do differently?:

Begin closer to the starting buoy so I swim less distance and have people to draft off of from the start. I think I'm starting to relax to much on the swim. I need to concentrate on a more powerful/full stroke to help increase speed!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Had a little trouble with the cap coming out of the water, but got it off and had my wetsuit down to the waist by the time I got into the transition area. Kelly and Sumer came over close and watched the whole thing!! haha no pressure! Wet suit got stuck on both heels, maybe put on more bodyglide? Helmet straps got a little tangled but it still went really well! Got the shoes on but stumbled putting the left one on after passing the mount line. (11/192 transition)

I really need to get new cycling shoes so I can just hop on and get going. Besides the helmet straps and wetsuit getting caught on the heels, I thought it was a decent transition but I think I can still get it faster.
Bike
  • 37m 37s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

***PR for me***
I wanted to get a great bike ride and feel like I did. I got passed by some people on the way out but felt that I kept up a good pace. I started to catch up to the two guys in front of me but they started drafting and I couldn't catch up, but I passed the 2 of them on "the Hill" on the way back. I felt that I shifted much better this time and did well on the hills. Definitely pleased with the bike!! My work has definitely paid off but I need to keep working at it!! Fastest ride to date but there is always room for improvement!

Keep working to increase my pace!!!!! A little lower cadence but push it harder?
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Great transition... I wasnt sure how far the turn to the transition area was from the maing road so I started to slow down too far in advance and a woman waved at me to slow down around the corner, ignored her of course, it is a race!! haha I got feet out of shoes and pedaled to the dismount line, I hopped off right at the line and was running as soon as I hit the ground!! Almost forgot about the helmet!! haha (10/192 Transition)

Not much, it felt good and quick. Maybe rack the bike a little quicker? Wasn't completely sure where the final turn was and could have pedal more before taking the feet out of the shoes. Get to know the course better.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be my weakest discipline this time. I hadn't run in 2+ weeks due to my achilles bothering me and the advice of AT's. I could tell I was far from as fit as I had been or should have been. First mile was about 9:30 min/m so I definitely picked up the pace. Darn achilles!!! However, got passed by a guy on the run and at the top of the next hill I passed him when he stopped and puked, but he passed me again... hahaha puke and rally!! More power to him!! haha

Would train a lot more on it and start doing ellipitcal work/water running when the achilles starts to act up much sooner than I did rather than simply not running(week before race)...
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to the lake and hopped in it for a bit. Drank lots of water, stretched, and waited on JB and my uncle to finish up!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely my lack of running the last few weeks because of the achilles. Without that injury I would have been several minutes faster!!!

Event comments:

Good race!! I really enjoyed it. The hills were tough but they definitely added a sense of accomplishment!! Awesome bike cruise on the way back!

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:12 | 820 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 28/192
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Fuzion FS
Course: Rectangle, clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:37 | 12.43 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/25
Overall: 53/192
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Hilly course. Up hill on the way out and down hill on the way back. Absolute monster hill to start out with and ended the course with a great downhill coast from that hill. Fairly smooth road course...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal