General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting a wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-25 5:54 PM

Chelsea, MI
Subject: Hitting a wall
I'm just over half way through a 24-week training plan for an Olympic Distance this July. As a student with two part time jobs, I have had a hard time sticking to the plan religiously, but I was more or less getting the hours in, and seeing some progress in the pool and on the treadmill. I'm in New Hampshire, so I've only had my bike out on the road twice, one of which I absolutely reached my limit, and actually got off my bike to walk it up a hill with 2 miles to go til home!

Now I have been stuck in a rut for the past two weeks. My motivation is gone, as is my energy and power. My volume has increased significantly, and my speed has decreased just as significantly. This is really frustrating! I'm racing my little sister in July, and I can't let her beat me, but if I don't get out of this slump I don't see how I could possibly pull off a respectable race in three months.

Any help?

2005-04-25 6:14 PM
in reply to: #147870

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hitting a wall
This is going to sound stupid to you, but it's what my relatively newbie common sense says, so here it goes anyway-------------you will get over your slump if you stop training; that's right, REST. Then start back after a few days and make it fun.  Ride and run with someone else.  Change up your program if you have to so you're doing your favorite swim intervals.  This is supposed to be fun.  Finally, visualize what it'll be like losing to little sis, if that doesn't get you going, nothing will :-).
2005-04-25 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
There are like a zillion artilces on motivation. One of them should get you going again. Just do your best and listent to your body.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=89
2005-04-25 7:36 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I had the same problem during training for my first Oly, which was this past weekend. It seemed like I wasn't making progress, that I was getting slower, that I was wasting my time. I kept going. It's hard when you don't race for a long time and can't see your progress. Now I know that my training did work because I am so far beyond my fitness level when I started last fall. I raced faster in all legs during my Oly than I did in my sprints last fall. You will see that too if you keep at it.
Jessica
2005-04-29 11:12 AM

Chelsea, MI
Thanks for the tips! I'm signing up for a road race in a couple weeks, so hopefully that will get me excited about racing and training again. I also got a good tip from my boss who is a tri fanatic: take naps (which is funny to hear from your boss). She said I'm probably not sleeping enough, which I tend to agree with.

Edited by Reiley 2005-04-29 11:13 AM
2005-04-29 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I looked at your logs. You have not taken a day off since the 11th

That's your problem right there.

You need to rest and recover. More importantly, you need to build rest days into your training schedule.

2005-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Remember if your body is telling you it is tired and unmotivated there is likely a reason, as others have said, REST!!!  I have just gotten over a nice bout of bronchitis which has set me back on my fitness level.  Unless you want to end up in the same situation, make sure to listen to your body and get some rest, then mix things up a little.

Rest, it does a body good...

Adios
Dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting a wall Rss Feed