5430 Sports Corp.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 36s
Overall Rank = 416/1154
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 56/108
Pre-race routine:

The mayhem started early when I forgot to turn my alarm on. Woke up about 45' after I was supposed to (after that moment of terror when I thought I'd missed the race entirely). Had the animals fed and watered, grabbed some oatmeal and was out the door in about 15'. Too bad I wan't this fast the rest of the day... Got there with everyone else though and got on the LONG line to get into transition.
Event warmup:

Probably should've done something but I didn't. Decided to take it slow & relax rather than rush & try & get a bike or run in since by the time I actually got into transition I had less than a 1/2 hour left. Only warm up was a short swim out to the platform and back to get my face wet.
Swim
  • 19m 18s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm ok with this considering the lack of time in the water this year. Stopped after the 1st 100 or so because it felt like my timing chip was coming undone and I had to breast stroke a bit to catch my breath every few minutes but otherwise it was ok. Was in the back of the wave with all the backstrokers & zig zaggers which is dangerous territory, it was a bumpy start. Some slight uncomfortableness from my should when I breast stroked but none at all when I was swimming so I was relieved about that since this was the first sustained swim since the cortisone shot. I did have some uncomfortableness when I got elbowed in the eye rounding the 1st buoy though.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not a coach, but I think swimming more than 1400m on the year would help my swimming. Then again, with my swimming, maybe not...
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I was kind of dizzy and almost fell over when putting on my socks & shoes, never had that before, but otherwise this went well.

Be more upright?
Bike
  • 47m 21s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmmm. Well my stomach had kind of cramped up or bloated on the swim and it was still that way leaving the res. I was passing some people going up the hill on 36 but I could feel I didn't have much power in my legs either. Went back & forth with a few people up that hill but once we got past it I left them behind. Once I got past that my stomach settled down somewhat. I wanted to pick up a water bottle since I was really thirsty and had forgotten mine but they had the aid station at the bottom of a hill and didn't like my chances of grabbing a bottle at 30mph. I was struggling a bit to hold my pace by the diagonal where there was a small headwind & I started getting a sidestitch again. I knew I couldn't do a 44:xx like last year but I thought a 46ish was possible - overall not a great bike, but it could've been worse.

Remember my water bottles, do more sustained efforts in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Everything was smoove here.

Get to transition sooner.
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a few steps out of transition and, wow, had some serious doubts about whether I could run at all, my legs were completely fried like nothing I've felt before. Settled into a slow pace but my abdomen was seizing up and I had to stop a few times when i thought I might throw up. Got it down to a managable side stitch going across the dam, and based on experience I figured it would go away soon, but it never did. Any time I tried to pick up the pace it would turn into a giant stomach cramp. I'd been doing low 8's in training (though no bricks) so to run this slow was frustrating. It was frustrating because I knew I coud go faster and even more frustrating was getting passed by everyone, and not just passed, but everyone was flying by. I don't think I passed a single person. Forgot my HRM (yes, another mis-step on the day) so I'm kind of curious what it would've said about my effort level.

More bricks and more sustained hard efforts. And even though it's only a 5k, I think I still need more of a base if I want to actually be able to race this.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and beer & chatted with Ryan & Adam & Julia.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and lack of focus in my training. I also think I was somewhat dehydrated. Was thirsty walking to the water and I forgot my water bottles for the bike.

Event comments:

Although my performance was less than stellar (mainly the run) it was still a well organized and fun race. Great to see a lot of people who've been in hiding this spring, and it was nice to be back racing again.

Last updated: 2009-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:18 | 805 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 82/108
Overall: 745/1154
Performance: Average
Out of the water in 18:14.
Suit: xterra full
Course: Out 2 buoys, over one, then back two to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:21 | 17.2 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/108
Overall: 181/1154
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Steady uphill 1st 5 miles, then fast & rolling for the rest.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:34 | 03.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/108
Overall: 767/1154
Performance: Bad
Course: Out across the dam & back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2233410

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

Well all things considered, not bad!

2009-06-22 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Nice race. The sun was tough at the start of the swim. Bummer about the side stitch during the run. Decent time everything considered.
2009-06-22 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Sadly, I definitely know that feeling on the run! And really, it's not like you went out and had a bad day with incredible fitness that was untapped, but just raced with the fitness you have (except for maybe the run). Time to find the race that scares you into training now!

2009-06-22 11:46 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Somehow we didn't run into you after the race   Sorry to hear you had such a rough start to your day.  Still, nice job!!  See you at the gravel pond Saturday ? 
2009-06-24 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice job sticking with it even when you weren't feeling well. I think you did great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed