General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brighton, Michigan
United States
Element Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 3s
Overall Rank = 140/197
Age Group = 25-29 Female
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

The alarm got me up at 4:30am. I had the jeep all packed up the night before so, after wiping the sleep from my eyes, I was at Island Lake just after 5:00am. I got my race packet, set up my transition area, then put up my tent for the BT'ers. After...there was a lot of pacing back and forth and walking in and out of transition area to be sure I had everything set up the way I wanted it. I met Rodolfo from BT.

Oh...and I had the Cadence Cycle guys take off the dorky reflectors from my wheels. Phew! I couldn't race again knowing that I was so un-cool! : )
Event warmup:

I got in the water just after 7:00am. I swam out to the last marker and back...probably about 200 or 300 yards total. I felt good! I had come out the day prior and swam the entire course twice...so I was feeling confident and ready to go.
Swim
  • 17m 29s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started on the outside to the very far left, but at the front, of my wave. And I had open water the entire way. IT WAS GREAT! I rounded the bouy's perfectly...giving myself enough room so I didn't run into anyone and being able to keep full strokes going the entire time. My breathing felt great. I was never winded and never choked on water. By the time I reached the 2nd marker, I'd already passed several men from the wave in front of us. That was a sweet feeling...going strong and swimming by those red caps towards the finish. I kept on swimming until my hand hit the water, then jogged into transition.

This was my best swim in a Tri to date. I felt great the entire way. I probably could have pushed a little harder even, which is very encouraging. Great swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nada...maybe push a little harder. I felt strong the entire way and feel like I could have gone a little faster than I did.

Also, I kept swimming until my hand hit the sand, but I think I could have taken a couple more strokes. It's hard as hell trying to run in waist deep water. It takes a lot of energy out of ya.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

My T1 time was respectable. I was 65/197 overall for my T1 time. The wetsuit came off fast. I even trotted out to the mounting area with my tri-shoes on (I'm still a little afraid I'll take a spill in those things).

I need get quicker at mounting the bike. I'd like to practice getting on with my shoes already clipped in...I think that'll save some time.
Bike
  • 41m 39s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good! I pushed hard and really focused on my gear changes. This was one of my best rides to-date at Island Lake. I think a PR for me, actually! I was playing tag with a gal in pig tails from my AG. She ended up pulling out ahead of me towards the end and beat me to T2 by about 10 seconds. But, I felt pretty strong the whole way and before I knew it, the bike portion was over.

I just need more time in the saddle. I need some engine work. That's the only way I'll get faster. I look at some of these times and it blows my mind how quick some of these people are.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

It takes me FOREVER to dismount my bike. I've taken a few spills because of the new clipless pedals, and my biggest fear is that I'll do it again in front of a big crowd at a triathlon. So...my dismount is very slow. I trotted again back to the transition area, lost the shoes, put on my shorts, race belt, baseball cap and running shoes. I fixed my pony-tail, then snatched a quick drink and I was off. Not the best transition, but I've done worse.

I need to work on my dismount. I also opted out of wearing socks because I hadn't at Hawk Island and didn't have any issues. I will now be wearing socks for most races.
Run
  • 37m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was spent. After jogging at a snails pace up that first hill, my breathing was extremely labored and my legs were bricks. I walked a minute to get my heart rate under control, and then walked/jogged the rest of the way. I also developed some nice blisters on both arches about half way through the run.

Everything. First...know the course. Mentally, it'll help me big time if I just know where the heck I'm going and how much further I have until the finish. Also, wear socks for Gods sake. Especially on trail-type runs where the ground is uneven and we're going up and down hills. I get blisters even with socks on in those conditions. Last..HTFU. Period.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, got some of the great food catered by my friend Mark Sevedas of Aleko's in South Lyon. Got a little post-race massage. Talked with Rodolfo and met his adorable kids (and his parents). Watched the awards ceremony and then packed up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I worked hard on both the swim and the bike...which didn't leave much left for me on the run. I wouldn't change it though. I just need to put more focus on my running and HTFU at the end when it counts. If I would have JUST finished the run at the same pace I've been doing 5K's this spring, I would have finshed right around my goal time of 1:35:00 and right in the middle of my AG.

Event comments:

Jim Jackson with Element Events does a great job with his races. He's a local guy. His father even comes out to help at most events (I talked to George for quite a while after the race). Island Lake is a great venue and Element Events does a nice job. I had a great time and will continue to sign up for Element Event races.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:29 | 800 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 86/197
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Sleeveless
Course: Reverse Triangle: Straight out 200 meters, right for another 200 meters, and diagnal back to shore for 400 meters. Water was murky. You never saw the bottom until you could stand.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:39 | 12.5 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 113/197
Wind: None
Course: The bike course went along the main drive through Island Lake State Park. It's a bit hilly (for me).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 173/197
Performance: Bad
Course: Out of transition, we were greeted by a big, long, mean-looking hill. Come to find out, we had to go up that damn hill twice! The run took place on some pavement but mostly on the grass.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 9:36 AM

Master
Subject: Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle

2009-06-22 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2233600

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle
Awesome race report Kristen!That's a surprisingly tough bike course given that most Michigan roads are MUCH flatter. I know some folks went super fast, but I don't think ANYONE had an easy run after biking and then taking that giant hill. Ugh. I had a hard time with that too. I plan on working on hills this week on both bikes and running in prep for my next race. I have a feeling you'll probably be doing the same thing. That's the cure for all of it! And bircks.
2009-06-22 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

great job!!! it was a great day for the race.

2009-06-22 9:28 PM

User image

Key West
Nice race to you too K.  Here is a deal...I will give you some of our heat in So Fla and you can give us some of your hills.  How bout it?  Let me know if you ever plan on escaping the winter and heading to Key West as I will hook you up with a race!

P.S., I still have the reflectors on my wheels.  Do I need to dump them?

Edited by HeatmizerKW 2009-06-22 9:30 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon Presented by Cadence Cycle Rss Feed