Sun Sport Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 57m 45s
Overall Rank = 61/318
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 to eat breakfast and do ultrasound on my knee. Probably should have done the foot but skipped it. Got to the race and ran around like a crazy person forgetting tons of stuff at the car.
Event warmup:

Warm up was running back to the car a few times and maybe about a 100 yard swim.
Swim
  • 21m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably one of my best swims. I think I took off good and kept to the front to avoid any sort of jam up. I kept real good site of the bouys
What would you do differently?:

Only different thing I would do was try to warm up a bit more. I and make sure my goggles were on good. My right filled totally with water before the halfway point.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

I got in and sat down on the milk crate I set up and taped up. I have been getting pretty fast with tape but it still took longer then I would have liked. Transition area was pretty much under water so I put my shoes on in transition and ran out to make sure I kept my socks as dry as possible.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 9s
  • 57.6 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to go out hard an really push on this course. I knew it was gonna be flat so I should have been able to really fly. The road conditions were not all that great in all sections and they really slowed things down a bit. I felt good and just picked off people one by one and did my own ride. My foot started to hurt around the middle of the first lap and just killing me during the second lap.

Maybe I would have tried to keep a bit more steady pace. I got caught up with some clown that was going back and forth with me, and it started to play with my head a little and throw me out of my game for a little while.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Good transition, I went in quick and felt like I moved fast out.

Shoes off on the bike. Like I said transition area was under water so I kept my shoes on as long as I could to keep the socks dry.
Run
  • 1h 45m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I feel like I had a good run, drank every mile and took salt sticks every 20 or so minutes. The first 6-7 miles went pretty well trying to keep an 8:15 or so pace. When the sun came out it started to slow me a bit. Michelle was moving pretty good so I decided to get on her heals and run with her as long as I could hold on. The next 5 or so miles flew by and I felt real good the whole time. Talking with someone really seem to make things go by much faster and easier. When we hit mile 11 I decided to pick it up and try to really finish strong. I lost Michelle on one of the hills and just kept going. I am thinking over the last 2+ miles I pushed a pretty good pace, probably around 7:30 or better. Felt awesome the whole time, it is the first half run of any sort that my legs didnt cramp up in the last mile.

Maybe I would have tried to push a little harder off the start. I just eased into my pace and got comfortable. I certainly would have made sure that I had enough Infinit to fill up my fuel belt bottles. I didnt run with it for the race but my plan was to use it. I think it may have helped me a little when I started to slow at the mid way point.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked the half mile back to the car to just cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body. I hate to make excuses but I think if I was not so worried about injuries I would have pushed a bit harder.

Event comments:

I would only give this an average rank b\c the way they started us. They put the fastest people last. My age group was behind the 55+ group. Not sure what that was about. I passed people in the water that started 20m before me. Also there were not Porto Potties on the course.

Last updated: 2009-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 33/318
Performance: Good
Ave hr 166
Suit: Xterra Full suit
Course: The course could have been nothing but very short. I swam good but not POK good. The finish was pretty rocky but they were all rounded stones rather then the wicked sharp ones.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:45:09 | 57.6 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Overall: 77/318
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Course was flat with rollers and 1 climb (if you wanna call it that) near the end of the laps. There were nice smooth sections that you could just fly on, but many areas that were so torn up I thought my bike was gonna rattle apart.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 63/318
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run going thru woods, neighborhoods and main roads, some hills that were really no big deal with the last big on the same hill as the ride course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes