Subaru
18C / 64F
Precipitation
Total Time = 54m 39s
Overall Rank = 139/389
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 25/78
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever tri so I was very nervous packing up all my stuff. It was raining and forecasted to be raining all morning. Grrreaaat. Thankfully DBF was super helpful and put our bikes on the bike rack and took them off, pumped up tires, etc.
Event warmup:

Got transition unpacked. It was raining so trying to keep some things dry. Put on the wetsuit and headed down to the water to get in, test water temp and did some strokes. Felt good. Could tell lots of other people were just as nervous as I was.
Swim
  • 13m 37s
  • 375 meters
  • 03m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

So, I just learned to swim last year and this was my first tri and venture really into this OWS thing. Dumb, I know but we've had a cold spring and I live by Lake Ontario where it's freezing. So i tested out my wetsuit on Friday night and knew i was in trouble because my fear of deep was suddenly present.
Anyway, I was in Wave 1 and i thought after my warm up that i felt okay. Well, was trying to stay back somehow I was still near the front. I let lots of people around me and i started to front crawl. it was okay and then everytime I breathed I was getting water in. I was panicking. I lifted my head and stroked some more but it was harder and harder to get air. Some nice girls asked if i was okay because i gasping for air. I told them i was panicking and they told me it was okay and I could wave a boat over at any time. they were really nice. I turned on my back and started back stroking. Then those same girls tapped me and pointed me in the right direction. I just couldn't get breath. I made it around the first buoy. I was combining a few attempts of front crawl, backstroke and a panicked doggie paddle! lol! Anyway, I was coming around the second buoy and it would lead to the straightaway to shore. Then I heard the gun go off for the second wave and i knew I had to get going. I did not want to get swum over by the next wave. that would not help me! i started back stroking again and some purple caps (next wave) were around me and i was just waiting until I could stand up. Then I could and I was up and stripping out of the wetsuit as I ran up the beach and into transition. It felt like forever but the whole thing including the run up to transition only took 13 minutes!

What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming - for a first tri I suppose I can just chalk it up to being a swim virgin. I certainly wasn't the only one. I was just shocked by how much I panicked!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition times were not reported. I was still shaky from the swim. But i managed to get that darn wetsuit off and into my bike shoes. I didn't worry much about drying my feet since the rain made everything soaked anyway.

Remember to put my gloves on. Didn't need them though.
Bike
  • 28m 17s
  • 10 kms
  • 21.21 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was great even in the rain. I took it easy on the turns and passed tons of people. Kept it fast on the down hills.

It was funny though. When I got back to transition I notice that I'd forgotten my bike gloves and they were attached to my front brake cables. I'd ridden with them like that the entire time!

Not too much. I don't know much about handling my bike in the rain.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Basically i just dumped off my stuff. got out for the run.

Maybe I should try to be neater in transition. But with the rain there didn't seem much point.
Run
  • 12m 46s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

The run being my strong suit and only 2.5 k was a piece of cake. It was a surprising hilly course for how short it was but i passed a bunch of girls in my age group. Just a minor stop to tie a shoe and i was back! So relieved to finish but totally shellshocked from the swim. :( There was a point where my tummy was churning and i realized it was probably from drinking all that lake water. ew.

Not too much. Should probably get elastic laces for this tri thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing too major. Waiting for my friend to finish and DBF was there. Got some gatorade and went to get stuff from transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh. The swim. The rest was fine.

Event comments:

Definitely a good race. Definitely felt like the swim beat me but I did get through my first tri!! Too bad it was so rainy out. We might have stayed for the raffle and such but being soaked out at a conservation area wasn't something we wanted to do for any longer than we had to.

Last updated: 2008-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:37 | 375 meters | 03m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/78
Overall: 0/389
Performance: Bad
Included run up to transition area.
Suit: sleeveless nineteen suit
Course: square around two buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:17 | 10 kms | 21.21 km/hr
Performance: Good
I think this is included part of T1.
Wind: Little
Course: Minor twists and turns a couple of rolling hills. Out and back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:46 | 02.5 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Short run. Turning road with rolling hills - surprisingly alot for such a short course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Guelph Lake Weekend

2009-06-23 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2233640

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake Weekend
Hey!  Great race report!  Your run was amazing!  Congrats!
2009-06-26 3:34 PM

New user

hey, thanks for the words of encouragement! And good job on the race/race report - these help a lot!
2009-07-03 2:06 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Congratulations on completing your first tri! YOU DID IT!

Wow that sounds like a tough swim. I don't know what advice I can give because I've never been that uncomfortable in the water - OWS makes me a little edgy but I get through it by not thinking about it, mind over matter! Swimming in a group actually makes me a lot more comfortable, knowing I have people and lifeguards around me. In your case I would just keep swimming training, the more you do it the more confident you'll be. And definitely get some more OWS practice, perhaps not on your own though LOL!

Your bike and especially your run were excellent. Keep up the good work and keep at it! Well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend Rss Feed