General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 54s
Overall Rank = 455/777
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 57/76
Pre-race routine:

Left Miami Beach around 5am to get to the race early since I knew there was only one way in and it was gonna get crowded. Got there around 6:15 or so and had plenty of time to pick up the chip, get marked, and set up transition as well as I could. Gotta remember to bring breakfast with me for the hotel since I leave before it opens.
Event warmup:

Pretty long walk to the swim start on the beach. That'll get anyone's legs going, and a nice easy swim for a couple minutes to warm up. Water temp was probably in the low 80s so it felt great.
Swim
  • 07m 49s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did a helluva lot better on the swim than I thought I was going to. The water was glassy with no waves which helped, and I never had a problem keeping my breathing under control or fighting fatigue. I did a decent job sighting, and was able to freestyle the entire course but I did swim a little farther than necessary as I didn't make the turns very close to the buoys. Felt like I was able to keep a good technique, swim long, pull hard, and passed almost everyone I saw. I was really happy with how I did.
What would you do differently?:

Get closer to the middle. Go harder out to the first turn buoy to get in front and not worry about taking a foot to the face. Stay closer to the buoys. Learn to draft FOP.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

No wetsuit to worry about. Loooong run from swim exit to transition - I think this was included in the swim time, but this seems really long for just the time I was in transition. Also, I ran down the wrong aisle which got me all turned around. Took maybe 10 extra seconds to find out where my bike was so it wasn't a disaster but is definitely something to work on for next time.

Don't just look backwards from the entrance to bike rack....actually rehearse the run from T1 entrance to the rack. Different shoes will help with the rubber band.
Bike
  • 35m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't hit my 17mph avg goal, but I was still moving about like I expected. More time in the saddle is gonna help, as well as a better fitting bike (and I am on a roadie), but I was getting passed left and right which was a little discouraging. The bike and run is where I gave up ground.

Bike fit with a new bike should help, mine is a little big for me. Put in more saddle time with longer distances.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Did a great job of coming off the bike and passed people down the entrance to T2. It's a little hairy running by spectators and slow racers without colliding with either, but nothing happened. Hit the ground running and didn't let up. Unrolled my socks easily, but regular laces take time. Legs felt pretty good running out after the bike leg.

Speed laces....and maybe practice running without socks. That second one can wait a little till my overall running gets better though. 20 seconds faster in T2 won't help if my running is 5 minutes slow.
Run
  • 28m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was disappointing. My IT band in both knees started hurting about a mile in, so even though my legs felt more or less good I couldn't get any kind of turnover or speed going. I sort of shuffled in the last mile and a half.

Work more on flexibility and ITB therapy. Also, I just need more run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop running. Suck down water. Kiss gf. Suck down more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall bike speed and bad knees. Need to train faster on the bike and log more miles.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:49 | 440 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/76
Overall: 270/777
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out, 90 turn to parallel the beach, and back in. Seemed a lot shorter since I got those OWS sessions in when I was at Daytona.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:52 | 10 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/76
Overall: 566/777
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back course. Nice and flat except for the causeway bridge.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/76
Overall: 419/777
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice little course, mostly shady through the sidewalks and parking lots of the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1

2009-06-25 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2233796

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1

Congrats on your 1st Triathlon...!!!

Good Job...even all the circunstances...You did it and finished it !!!

2009-06-26 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2233796

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1
I feel your pain with the IT band. I was actually shocked it didn't bother me in this race!! *knock on wood* it won't be an issue for the next one either!

Nice job on the swim!!!!!!! That is my weakness for sure!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #1 Rss Feed