Cutting Edge Events
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 28s
Overall Rank = 26/180
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/24
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site around 6AM. Nibbled on a power bar and sipped water. Grabbed timing chip and got body marked then waited.
Event warmup:

Took a short swim right before pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 41m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was good for me. Was hoping to be around 40 flat and was at 40:40 out of the water, so was very close. Not bad for me without a wetsuit. Had a few spots where I started to drift off course but overall it went pertty well. Had a couple people drafting off of me most of the way. I never really found a good opportunity to draft off of anyone.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Typical trans for me, nice and smooth.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 40m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a great ride. Was shooting for around 20 avg, but ended up at 21ish. Couldn't believe I actually got first in my AG on the bike. Was taking E-lytes and drinking tons of fluid since it was so hot out. Ate 1 power bar and a bunch of shot bloks. Was sweating buckets out there with the aero helmet on.

Kinda wished I would have worn my road helmet. Maybe I could have stayed cooler?
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Same 'ol same 'ol.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 30m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This is when the race got ugly from every angle. First mile clicked off at 8 flat and then my stomach went south. HR was through the roof and I slowed down to a 10 min mile. There was absolutley no shade on the run course except for one spot at the turn around. Felt like I was running on a skillet on high heat.UGH. After mile 3 it was mostly a walk/run/dry heave half mary. I finally threw up into the 2nd lap and was hoping I would then feel better but I didn't. Was drinking 3 or 4 cups of fluid at every aid station trying to stay hydrated but my stomach couldn't handle it. On the very last mile I got a slight cramp in my calf but it wasn't bad. I was able to run the last half mile to the finish without stopping, lol. One of those days where your going to be de-hydrated no matter what. To put it into perspective only 7 people ran sub 9 min/miles! Tons of people did it last year at this same race with cooler temps. So disappointed and embarrassed about this run. This is as bad as it gets.

Train in the heat and humidity more I guess? Get my stomach acclimated to this kind of racing. Pick cooler HIM's :)
Post race
Warm down:

Went down and jumped in the lake to cool down. Felt so good, until I started to dry heave again :( Went up and got a peanut butter sandwhich and Sprite and forced it down and my stomach felt a little better. Watched a few people getting checked out by the medical staff while I ate. Hung out with my family for a bit then loaded up the car. Watched Melissa(Pegasus1731) finish her first HIM and she looked great. The run didn't hardly bother her at all, how tough is that!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat and humidity

Event comments:

The conditions killed everyone out there. Folks were saying they were 1 hr below PR's they have set this year. And the 26% DNF seems high. Overall I'm bummed out by my run and overall race time since I was hoping for a 5:15 but oh well. Maybe next time.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/24
Overall: 73/180
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: loop x 2.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:23 | 56 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 12/180
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Mostly decent roads with a few sketchy sections of loose gravel.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 60/180
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back x 2.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2009-06-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2233886

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Nice job out there. A friend of mine came in an hour later than predicted because of the weather. Said there was some beastly heat.

How hilly was the bike course?
2009-06-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2233906

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
RunningJayhawk - 2009-06-22 11:08 AM Nice job out there. A friend of mine came in an hour later than predicted because of the weather. Said there was some beastly heat. How hilly was the bike course?

The bike course wasn't very hilly,  mostly flat with a few slight hills. Ovrerall a fast bike course IMHO. 

peace, John
2009-06-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2233886

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Don't beat yourself up about the run. It sounds like the conditions were horrible!
Congratulations on the first place bike split in your AG.
Keep up the great training
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed