5430 Sports Corp.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 53s
Overall Rank = 330/1130
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 29/51
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 AM, Normal breakfast of coffee and a bagel. Left hotel at 5AM to drive to the course.
Event warmup:

Jogged about a half mile. Legs were feeling sore from the 10K the day before.
Swim
  • 17m 6s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hadn't done any open water swims in almost 2 years so I started near the back of the wave and off to the right side. I really couldn't sight at all in the first leg so I just tried to make sure I was near people. I seemed to be passing a fair number and caught some of the previous wave before the first turn. I never tried to swim hard, just maintained an easy effort throughout. My wetsuit felt a little snug due to having put on about 5-10 pounds since the last time I wore it. Swim time includes running from the beach to the transition area about 100 yards and I was struggling to remove my arms from the wetsuit and not running very fast.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swims and starting closer to the front.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I got through decently and had a good spot near the bike out. At the mount line some guy in front of me fell over and crashed so I ran my bike about 50 yards past the mount line before I jumped on.

Lube up my arms and legs a bit more to get the wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 49m 54s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

In the initial climb out of transition I could feel my legs were sore from the previous day's 10K. I wasn't getting a strong pedal stroke. After a couple mile I started to loosen up and was passing bunches of people along 36. A mile before Neva I came up behind a large group who appeared to be drafting. I stayed well off the back and had to slow down. I didn't think I would be able to pass the entire group. It turned out this group was just a bunch of people from Boulder who were out riding as they headed straight at the turn for Neva. It cost me a little time riding behind them. At the water bottle station a bike about 2 bikes up from me moved over to get a bottle. It looked like the front wheel turned and the bike flipped over. The person in front of me swerved and avoided the crash and I swerved to avoid that person. After that things were smooth until I had to get past several non-racing bikers along 63rd. I stayed aero probably 95%.

Not run a hard 10K the day prior. Bike a bit more in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Got through smoothly. Rack was on the other side from run out so it took a little longer to get out.

Nothing
Run
  • 26m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off OK, but by about 3/4 mile my legs were not letting me run strong due to being sore from the 10K. I had to slow some, but was able to pick it up a bit in the last mile.

Not run a 10K the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and walked around a bit. Headed over to the beer tent when I cooled down and met up with some tri-club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first tri in about 2 years and I was a bit rusty. I need to ride more as the bike was kinda disappointing for me. Running the 10K the day before made everything more difficult, but that race was part of a series and I couldn't miss it.

Event comments:

Good race. Long lines getting into transition and for the breakfast after the race. They may want to rethink cooking at the race site.

Last updated: 2009-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:06 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/1130
Performance: Average
Suit: Full suit
Course: Rectangular course - clockwise. The first leg was directly into the sun making sighting difficult
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:54 | 17.2 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: After leaving the transition area the course gradually climbs for about 4 miles. It then gradually descends for about 9 miles followed by a couple more miles up up, then the last mile is mostly down. Nothing really steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:27 | 03.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat out and back course. Small rise in the first quarter mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-22 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2234050

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

Great effort out there!  Yea, running a 10k the day before might not be advisable,  good for training though!  Nice work.

2009-06-22 5:28 PM

User image

New user

Nice race right after a 10K!
2009-06-22 5:39 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Very nice race!  No OWS in 2 years?  You did great! 

LOL, I volunteered at the ill-positioned bike aid station, and the guy that crashed scared the crap out of me!  I think he held on to his front brake, and took his hand off the rear brake to get a bottle....and endo'd!  Amazing he was fine, got up and went on.  He cut up his shoulder, but that seemed to be all.
2009-06-22 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2235320

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Glad to learn the guy was OK. It did look like he messed something up as he was approaching and the crash looked nasty. If it hadn't been right at an aid station I would have stopped to help, but I figured he would get taken care of quickly.

My swim and transitions were OK. The bike and run were a bit disappointing. I knew going in that doing the 10K the day before was going to take a toll though. Since it was my first tri in a couple years and I didn't have high expectations I was OK with doing both races.

2009-06-22 11:11 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Nice job yesterday!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed