General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike help/Climbing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-22 2:29 PM

Regular
Subject: Bike help/Climbing
Hey y'all,

i've been following the beginner half IM plan since feb in preparation for the auguasta HIM. I know it's not designed for that long but I wanted to get a head start. I'm 38 yo, 5'9 185 and finished an olympic earlier this may in 2hr 29 m

Anyway, I've been biking here on the coast of Ga and as you may imagine it's quite flat. last weekend i rode with a group for the first time near atlanta for about 35 miles. I finished fine but way behind the pack. The hills really seemed to crush me. I mean I didn't have to stop or anything but I'm gearing down to spin the hills out and regular folks just whizzed right by me.

That's ok cause they're probably more experienced. I guess my question is this. I've been trying to stay steady w/cadence 88-94

in moderate to easier gears when I ride w/my heart rate in or around 75% of my max HR (182). Based on my ride this weekend in "the hills" I'm wondering if I need to adjust my training on the bike or still do what I'm doing. As far as the plan goes, I've mostly been just putting in the time and miles and only recently have been trying to get some hills in (using our local bridges)

Thanks for your thoughts....be gentle

jamey

2009-06-22 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2234669

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Bike help/Climbing
Adding in some tempo efforts during your ride (20 - 40 minute bouts at your HIM effort) one day and faster/shorter intervals during another ride (Sprint/Oly. effort for 3 - 5 minutes with 2 - 4 minute recoveries between) will help flat landers get some more oomph for hills.  Or even better, find a windy stretch and ride into it for a long time.  Does the same thing as climbing (well, in general at least)!

Main thing is getting in the seat time.  You would also gain some if you were a little bit lighter as climbing is mainly about power to weight.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike help/Climbing Rss Feed