United States
5430 Sports Corp.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 to make pancakes with my 7 year old so she could deliver breakfast in bed to my husband for father's day. He was a little disoriented. I ate some, too. And stretched. Got to Boulder Reservoir around 5:45 and waited in line for body marking and to get into transition.
Event warmup:

Swim, swim, and more swim to try to get really acclimated to the water as it was <68*, where I have an asthma problem.
Swim
  • 20m 48s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

I stepped on a goathead pricker waiting to start...as if my feet don't hurt me enough! That was about the worst of it, though. I didn't start wheezing until the last 100 meters or so. Flipped on my back to use inhaler.
What would you do differently?:

It's possible that I warmed up too much, as in more time warming up than I spent on my racing swim (~30 minutes). But I can't complain.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I was located a little far away from swim in, and can't run, and my feet hurt anyway, then running on the pavement hurt. Anyway, my suit always gets stuck on my heels. I ran fast with my bike shoes on...suckers don't bend so I can't hurt my feet in them. I couldn't jump on my bike as there was a bit of a traffic jam at the mount area (which excited me as I'm usually so far back nobody is around!)

Since I can't just put on a better pair of feet, nothing.
Bike
  • 56m 33s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Can't complain.

Brought a 2nd bottle of Gatorade. I usually don't need that much on this short of a ride, but I did finish my 1st bottle and was still thirsty before I finished.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Umm, well I came in on the wrong side of my rack and had to lift my bike over to get it on the right side and rack it. I also played with my hair a little too long. I just got it cut 6" and it doesn't stay in a ponytail very well and was a huge mess that I tried to fix. Best transition time for me yet, so no big deal I guess.

I need to grow my hair out just a wee bit more and pay attention to where I might want to be with my bike :)
Run
  • 37m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't run with my foot injury, so I just walked (mostly). I knew this going in, but it is hard when you see people you know and get embarrassed. It's also hard when someone runs past you with an age from your age group written on their calf, and you have the energy to run. I just feel like I have to try to not let them finish before me. I did run a few times...paid for it later. (Throbbing foot)

FYI: If I ever get in an accident and my right foot is severed, I do NOT want it reattached. Waste of time. Just telling you all incase I'm incoherent at the time. And you happen to be there :) (There is some hope of the left one getting better)

Anyway, since I can't trade feet with anyone, I wouldn't do anything different.
Post race
Warm down:

Iced my damned foot and ate blueberry coffee cake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right foot. Probably lack of training, too, which is due to a lack of motivation, which boils down to my right foot problem again.

Event comments:

I love the Boulder Series.

Last updated: 2008-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:48 | 805 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
This is actually my time from the start to the mat right before entering transition. I can't run, so this makes my swim look slower than it really is.
Suit: De Soto T1 2 piece
Course: Clockwise around the buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:33 | 17 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
I only took it easy 4 times. Twice to guzzle Gatorade, once at a crash where squad car and ambulance were arriving, and once when a car was driving right alongside the guy in front of me--who was riding at about 10 mph so I had to hit the brakes when I got up on him. (Or maybe I could have passed him AND the car?) Oh well.
Wind: None
Course: Flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:55 | 03.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Out and back on the dirt trail.
Course: Hot and miserable.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 3:56 PM

User image

Colorado
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-22 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2235065

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Nice race. Seems like you did OK even though you weren't completely healthy and at your best.
2009-06-22 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Gret Job Andria...wwith everything you are dealing with medically you are a total inspiration just getting out there

2009-06-22 5:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

That sucks about your foot hurting.  You did quite well despite the injury.  Hope you had some beer to ease the pain.  Avery is awesome!  Nice effort out there in a tough field.

2009-06-22 11:58 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Great job yesterday Andria, especially on the bike!!   Great seeing you, too!!
2009-06-24 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Your high level of training shows. Despite your stupid foot, you still showed up - overcame your asthma issues (did you have the inhaler in your sleeve? ) and completed the race...And you did the wife/mother thing for father's day. You are a hero, Andria!

By the way, at Ironman Canada last year, a friend of mine was dealing with an injury and just couldn't run. He new this before the race. His wife was racing. He decided, before the race, much like you, that he would walk.

So he swam and biked and then walked the marathon and still finished in a respectable time. No shame. He finished the race on his own terms - just like you did.

A hell of a lot more of an achievement than the Denny's and IHOP Sunday Crowd!

Congratulations!

2009-06-24 11:55 AM

User image

, North Carolina

You handled the challenge of a disagreeable foot and had a great race.  Congrats on an awesome job out there and a successuful swim!  You certainly make up for the run with your strong cycling.  I'd call the day a success!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed