General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me understand Periodization Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-26 10:20 AM

Subject: Help me understand Periodization
I thought I understood what periodization was, until I read a recent article. I've asked a few others and no one can explain the difference between volume vs. frequency, to me. Here's the excerpt from the article:

"Periodization involves many variables including frequency (how ‘often’ you train), duration (how ‘long’ you train for one session), volume (how ‘much’ you train in a given week or cycle) and intensity (how ‘hard’ you train at any given time). From these variables a recipe is created that will hopefully help you reach your peak for the key race(s) you are targeting. There are four to five phases in a given annual training plan, with the variables changing within each phase.

Anyone?

2005-04-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #148248

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Help me understand Periodization
Frequency is how many times a week you actually workout. That might be 1 workout per day or whatever. Volume is how much time you actually put in with all the workouts combined. Could also be seen as miles or meters in the pool. Hope that helps?
2005-04-26 11:06 AM

Veteran
Swindon

Frequency is how often you train (3 sessions per week), volume is how long you spend training (5 hours pewr week etc).

At different periods in your build up to a race you will vary both factors.  eg in off season training when yo're building a base you may go for 2 long runs each week, but if you're doing some speed work you may enter a phase of doing 4 short runs a week, but much shorter sesisons.  In this phase, even though the frequency of your training has gone up, your volume will probably have reduced.

2005-04-26 11:10 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Imagine you were studying for a midterm exam. You obviously will not study the most hours from the get go..your hours will most likely go from a minimum and slowly build until you reach a peak (in which you will take the exam) and reduce thereafter.

2005-04-26 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
This article is all in reference to weightlifting, but I think it's pretty clear and easy to translate to tris: www.stumptuous.com/periodization.html. (BTW, this whole site http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html is just awesome for weight lifting stuff).
2005-04-26 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone, I get it now.

2005-04-27 1:22 AM

Regular
the key to the whole thing is "Periodization" breaking the training year up into manageable chunks with set goals.

Now you know what frequency, volume and intensity are you are in a position to put together a plan where you start off putting a "base" together, the first month of training is usually low intensity, moderate frequency, low to moderate volume to get you back into the swing of working and helping you develop your aerobic capacity and strengthen joints and connective tissue.

then onto base2 or what is a natural progression in volume and frequency with some increase in intensity in key areas like weaknesses or sport specific strength training. etc. etc.

and so on throughout the rest of the plan.

I would reccommend looking at the triathletes training bible (if you haven't already) for more information....

hope this helps

regards kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me understand Periodization Rss Feed