General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkins, Michigan
United States
Johans Tri Fest
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 9s
Overall Rank = 162/252
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/33
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at a hotel to avoid the three hour drive in the morning. Woke up, had a clif bar and some coffee and headed to the site.

Got my packet and chip, setup transition and then just relaxed for a bit in the car.
Event warmup:

Went for a short ride just to make sure everything on the bike was in working order. Did about a 10 minute run with some pickups and running drills thrown in.
Swim
  • 29m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was really hoping to avoid some contact at this swim (got kicked twice and had my goggles stripped at the last race) so I lined up towards the back on the right side. Avoided most of the contact in the fist 50 meters but swam right into the washing machine in the next 50 and promptly had my goggles stripped. Got them back on my on face and was on my way again.

Had some trouble siting on the way out (they really could have used another buoy out there) and drifted slightly of course. Made some slight adjustments and made the turn around buoys feeling very comfortable and relaxed.

Decided to pick up the pace on the way back in. Looked for drafting buddies but just could not find anyone. Sited and navigated very well here, only found my self drifting in the last 100 meters or so. Swam until I hit thigh deep water, did a dolphin dive and ran it into shore.
What would you do differently?:

This was a really good swim for me. Probably could have pushed a bit harder, I felt great coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

My zipper cord got pulled off its Velcro while in the washing machine; I had to flail my arms around to find it (can't imagine what that looked like). Did manage to grab it before entering the transition area and still had the top half of the suit off before getting to my rack.

Wetsuit got stuck on my heels again, but I still got it off much faster than my last race. Knocked off some of the sand with my hand and put the socks, shoes, and helmet on. Grabbed my gel packs and I was off.

Figure out how to get the wet suit off without it sticking on my heels. Other than that a much smoother transition than last time. 5th in age group.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 12s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit a small pothole right out of transition which knocked the magnet off my bike so I had no idea how fast I was going (or how far I had gone). Used cadence and heart rate to judge effort.

First couple of miles were OK, I thought I was handling the winds and hills decently. I am guessing somewhere around mile six you entered a long stretch that was rolling but a net uphill and it was dead into the wind. I was in my granny gear and still felt like I was pulling a trailer and my heart rate was through the roof.

After what seemed like forever, you made the turn around of this section and was able to fly for awhile. This ended, way too soon and the next section was rolling with hindering cross winds. I was pretty sure that I was cooking myself, but felt my run was strong enough to handle it (in retrospect, oops).

Only real incident on the bike came at the second turn around. A woman passed me right before it, did not handle the u-trun well (almost took out a volunteer) and then proceeded to weave all over the road (blocking me another rider) trying to get her feet re-clipped. I can't tell you how much that annoyed me.

Did the best I good on the last couple of hills and mentally started preparing for the run.

Besides train more on hills, I don't know. In retrospect I probably pushed too hard on the bike and did not save enough for the run which is usually my strength.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

I don't think the volunteers were used to people doing a flying dismount because a couple of them had looks of panic on there face as I approached the dismount line with a good bit of speed riding on top of one pedal.

Dismounted cleanly, ran with the bike into transition. Biking shoes off, running shoes on, grabbed my race belt and I was off. Right as I exited transition this volunteer started yelling that my race number had to be on my front. Wowser, give me second to get the darn thing on, then yell at me.

Nothing. This was another good transition. Don't think I could go any faster. Fastest in age group.
Run
  • 1h 00m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew I pushed harder than normal on the bike. The goal was to just hang on for the run. About a half mile into it, you had to run through an overflowing creek--so much for keeping the feet dry. First two miles went decent, I was moving slower than normal but still an OK pace.

It was at this point that the wheels started falling off. I don't know if it was because I partially blew myself up on the bike or because I am getting over a cold but I could not take a deep breath and my heart rate was skyrocketing. Started walking here. Looking back I know this was the right decision (I was either going to walk, or my body was going to stop).

Had to go with with a walk/run for awhile. Hit the mile three aid station and helped myself to two cups of gatorade and dumped some water on me. Physically, I think was able to run at this point but mentally I was shot--my time goals were out the window and I was getting passed left and right. Kept going with the run/walk for most of mile three. Took in a caffeinated gel somewhere in here.

Somewhere in mile-4 I snapped out of my mental funk was able to run (albeit way slower than normal). With a half mile to go I saw a group in front of me, made it my goal to catch up to them. Did manage to catch and pass one of them.

Show some mental toughness. At mile two I had to walk as my body was rejecting me. I think I had recovered from that by mile three and still kept walking. A caffeinated gel at the end of the bike might have helped too.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and backtracked along the course to find where Brandy was sitting. Sat and watched some of the other competitors come in and then went to find some cookies. Loaded up the bike, jumped in the lake for a quick bath and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fighting a bit of cold for the last week. Nothing I could do about that but bike training has been a bit lacking this year.

Event comments:

This was a good race. Lots of friendly volunteers. Its a little far away to be an every year race for me, but I think I will be back some day.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/33
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Narrow rectangle in a small lake.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:12 | 24.8 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/33
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Hard to describe the shape of this course. Kind of a loop with a bunch of out and back thrown in. For me this course, was hilly. Most people would probably describe it as rolling. Storms the night before washed a bunch of rock, sand, and limbs into the road.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:56 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/33
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop course through a campground and along a golf course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-23 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon

2009-06-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2237987

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon

Nice job - it was a little steamy on the run - way to tough it out and finish strong.

2009-06-24 5:26 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to get thorugh it!!!!  Based on what you said, were you over your cold???

2009-06-26 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Nice job.  I found putting body glide on my ankles helped get my suit off.  I didn't do it this race and I had my suit hangup on  one ankle as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed