General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Baby Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 4:18 PM

User image

Subject: Training with Baby
So, after 3-weeks of pretty solid (newbie) training, my wife and I gave birth to our second child on June 18th.  One of the challenges I, and other parents of newborns, face is training through massive sleep deprivation and erratic sleeping schedules.

Do any triathlon-training parents have suggestions on how to keep up with training during the first several weeks of a child's life? 

2009-06-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2238001

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: Training with Baby
#1 - Whatever wife needs, wife gets.
#2 - Whatever wife wants, wife gets.
#3 - Read and follow, "On Becoming Baby-wise." --- After 4 weeks, both of my kids slept through the night. Everyone that I know who followed the program has babies that sleep through the night. Everyone that does not follow the program tell us that we are "lucky."

#4 - I still get up a 4am to work out....
2009-06-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2238035

User image

Loved this response as I'm already doing EXACTLY what you reference.  This is our second child and "On Becoming Baby-wise" helped us get restful nights in 8 weeks.
2009-06-23 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Middleton, ID
First off, congrats on the new baby. Me and my wife just had our first he is now 3 months. My training really took a hit right after he was born. Now I am by no means an expert, this being my first child and me still being fairly young. But I think that I have worked out my training so that my schedule fits around my son. When my wife is unable to watch him and I need to ride, I'm on the trainer with my son in his swing beside me. That works well for me. Our doctor said that at 4 months I should be able to take him on runs in the stroller. I think the biggest thing is just managing your time. With newborns as I'm sure you know you sleep whenever you can.

It also depends on what distance you are training for and what your goals are. If you are trying to qualify for Kona than your time commitments are going to be far greater than if your just looking at finishing the local sprint. I focus mostly on the Half Iron distance and have been able to keep up my training fairly well.

Hopefully this wasn't too long and helps you somewhat.Smile  
2009-06-24 6:58 AM

User image

Cincinnati Area
My baby just turned 5 months, I was a bit lucky as she was born "off season" so wasn't training for anything specific. I just try to get a short run or ride on trainer when I could. It actually helped my energy level due to lack of sleep.

She started sleeping most of the night by 3 months and now sleeps 8:00 PM to 8:30 AM. So just keep looking forward for a few months. I will say that when she at the stage of being up at 4 AM, I took the chance to take that feeding and diaper change for my wife, then just stayed up for my workout. The trade off was my wife then did the early one which was usually 1 or 2. Just a thought on strategy.

Good luck and congrats, a new baby sure has changed my perspective, including how missing a work out here and there is OK once in a while.
2009-06-24 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH

Our son just hit 3 months and is now sleeping about 8-9 hours straight through the night.  We have 2 others that are 11 and 5 that also take up most of our free time.  I am training for sprints and come from many years of racing bikes so I run and swim at lunch time and we made a ride schedule that we try to stick too of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights.  My wife plays softball too, so sometimes I give up a ride to play with the kids while she goes to her game.  I shoot for 5-6 hours a week of training and if I can get in more on the weekends then that is a bonus.  My super focused days of training 14+ hours a week are over for now and I have no complaints on that.  Just watch out for when the kids are all older and I get to ramp up my training again.

(Noah 3 months 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Noah 3 months 2.JPG (18KB - 9 downloads)

2009-06-24 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2238963

User image

Cute kid!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Baby Rss Feed