General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with closed fists Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 4:46 PM

Subject: Swimming with closed fists

I grew up thinking that swimming with your hands spread wide was the best way but after talking to a season triathlete friend of mine he said I should train with my hands closed, in a fist. And if worst comes to worst to bind my hands to I dong resort to old habits. I started this last week. Not sure if its working but I can say that it is a workout to the arms.

Anyone else ever heard of this or try it?

- Zane

Triathlon Training Video Log

http://www.youtube.com/zanefielding

2009-06-23 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2238050

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Subject: RE: Swimming with closed fists
It's a good drill, don't think I'd try it for any extended time, but I use it alot for short drills.  Forces you to use your body to propel yourself through the water.  Then when you open your hands again you feel like you're flying. 
2009-06-23 4:56 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I'll use it as a drill along with counting strokes. 

Fist swim and count your strokes per lap.  Then swim normally and count your strokes.  Give you a gauge how well you're catching.
2009-06-23 4:58 PM

User image

Master
PA

As others said, only as a drill.  

2009-06-23 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2238064

User image

Veteran
El Segundo, CA

KenD - 2009-06-23 2:56 PM I'll use it as a drill along with counting strokes. 

Fist swim and count your strokes per lap.  Then swim normally and count your strokes.  Give you a gauge how well you're catching.

x2. In general, a good drill for seeing how efficient your stroke is. Without the propulsion generated by your open hands, you become more acutely aware of how your body rotation, body position, and the pull phase of your stroke affect your forward motion.

2009-06-23 5:32 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
For another variation: A coach had us doing a drill that started with closed fists and after each length, or after each lap, you get to extend one more finger to end up swimming with an open hand again. You can really feel the difference with even one or two fingers helping.

2009-06-23 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Zane - 2009-06-23 2:46 PM

I grew up thinking that swimming with your hands spread wide was the best way but after talking to a season triathlete friend of mine he said I should train with my hands closed, in a fist. And if worst comes to worst to bind my hands to I dong resort to old habits. I started this last week. Not sure if its working but I can say that it is a workout to the arms.

It's a good technique drill. In the mid 80's, the theory was that a very slight spread in the fingers would trap more water (due to the fact that water doesn't compress well), but that theory has gone by the wayside. Fingers together and extended.

the fist drill is a good drill, but not great for extended swimming, it's like paddling a canoe without the blade on the oar.

John

2009-06-23 6:08 PM

User image

, Arizona
Zane - 2009-06-23 2:46 PM

You aren't talking about your fingers are you? You want to keep your fingers together when you want to go fast. I use the closed fist too... as a drill. You use your whole forearm to push water, not just your hand, making your hand into a fist helps you focus on using that forearm and really being able to feel the water. 

2009-06-23 6:23 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

A variation of the fist drill that I use and have used in coaching is to increase the number of fingers extended each length. Ex. 25 fist, 25 pointer finger, 25 2 fingers, 25 "OK" sign, etc. Each time you increase the surface area and  in turn will develop a better feel for the water.

It also works great when swimming in OW with swimmers of different speeds. I was swimming the other day with someone slower than me and I just swam 3000 yds with 2 fingers and was able to get a hell of a workout swimming at her speed.

As far as hand position I think it's very individual. Hands relaxed is the key, some have all fingers extended together and some don't. My ring and pinky fingers tend to spread out when I swim, not saying it's right but it works for me. (If i'm not mistaken I believe Phelps fingers are slightly spread as well.)

2009-06-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2238174

Master
Montgomery, Tx
rstocks3 - 2009-06-23 6:23 PM

A variation of the fist drill that I use and have used in coaching is to increase the number of fingers extended each length. Ex. 25 fist, 25 pointer finger, 25 2 fingers, 25 "OK" sign, etc. Each time you increase the surface area and  in turn will develop a better feel for the water.

It also works great when swimming in OW with swimmers of different speeds. I was swimming the other day with someone slower than me and I just swam 3000 yds with 2 fingers and was able to get a hell of a workout swimming at her speed.

As far as hand position I think it's very individual. Hands relaxed is the key, some have all fingers extended together and some don't. My ring and pinky fingers tend to spread out when I swim, not saying it's right but it works for me. (If i'm not mistaken I believe Phelps fingers are slightly spread as well.)

I like this.  I am loooking for more pull drills.
2009-06-23 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2238174

User image

Marshall, TX

I'm glad you added that last part. I mentioned to some coworkers of mine to go online and watch some videos of the pro's form, but to take it with a grain of salt, since some pros in their sport don't have perfect form either. I do remember that my numb pinky of the right hand during Nationals was splayed out wide unintentionally. I sometimes notice the day after some long swims that my pinky is sore from that. Is taping a finger to another legal? I almost had to because of a Jiu-Jitsu injury for that race.

2009-06-23 7:44 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fist drill is a good way to really develop the forearm pull from a vertical position while NOT depending on the surface of the palm to capture the water.  You will really get an improvement in your stroke using that drill regularly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with closed fists Rss Feed