Sierra Vista, Arizona
United States
Ft. Huachuca MWR
Total Time = 1h 09m
Overall Rank = 14/84
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 5/40
Pre-race routine:

Early morning race, I am generally an afternoon trainer so I was a little worried about getting ready for a race early in the morning. I packed up everything the night before so I wouldn't have to worry about much. Woke up around 5:30 A.M ate about half of the bagel I was planning to eat, a small cup of juice, and sipped on a powerade on the way to to race.
Event warmup:

Arrived early and staked out a good spot for my bike and set up my transition stuff. Unfortunately some late comer decided that she wanted her bike to be next to her boyfriends and the couple took it upon themselves to move my stuff over, squishing my bike against my towel and shoes.... oh well.
Run
  • 15m 46s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

They gave a 4 minute warning that the race was about to start and then nothing until the starter blew an airhorn. Perhaps a 3-2-1 countdown or something next time?!?!

I felt good going out, My plan was to race at about 8:30/mile. It seemed like everyone took off like a rocket and although I did my best to maintain pace, being passed by old ladies and small children spurned me on to run a bit faster than otherwise. As it was I finished in the back third of the race. I was worried that I'd be in for a long day, this being my first multisport event I was having flashes of finishing DFL.
What would you do differently?:

I felt good about how the run went, I was a little faster than my plan, but I was able to maintain throughout the race, so I felt good about the first leg.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Hard to give exact number on transition time. Race had electronic timing, but only had a mat at the start/finish. I had a good bike location, was able to run up to my bike, switch out to my MTB shoes (did not attempt to pre-clip shoes on the pedals this time) and ran with the bike out to the mount line where I hopped on with no issues. I was cool and collected at the transition and remembered to set up my shoes to change back into, and hit the lap button on my gps shortly after hopping on the bike.

Need to rehearse some of the more advanced techniques for transition. As it was I was just glad to do everything steadily and mistake free
Bike
  • 35m 53s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike leg! I was flying past people on both the downhill first half of the course and the uphill back leg. I've got decent equipment, which definitely helped although I passed a lot of other road bikes out there too!
I was only passed by one person (a guy on a white Quintana Roo) on the downhill portion of the race, and almost ran him down by the end. I decided to ease up on the last mile to get some fluids and keep from being burned out on the run and he finally got away.... grr

Bike was definitely my strongest portion of the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Seriously my biggest fear the night before the race was that for some reason I was going to forget to take my bike helmet off before starting the run. Fortunately I remembered!

Same as T1 I was focusing on being deliberate and not making mistakes. I could have been faster but just wanted to do it right this time around. I did pause for a second to get an extra swig of water before starting the run. I should have done this before stopping!
Run
  • 15m 52s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

UNIMAGINABLE PAIN UPON GETTING OFF THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would I put myself through this???????

Seriously though, I was a little unprepared for the pain in my quads on getting off the bike but I was able to HTFU and get through it, I started to feel better after a half mile or so. I was able to run down two people, and was passed by one person. None of whom were in my AG anyway.

Didn't quite get enough water on the bike leg (trying to catch that damn white q roo!!!) and had to take water on the turnaround after the first mile, not part of the plan, but I'm definitely glad it was there!
Post race
Warm down:

Forgot to stop my watch so I'm not sure of my exact time..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, need more speedwork, especially with the running!

Event comments:

My first race, so I don't have much to go on. Entry fee was only $15 which included a T-Shirt. Race was well organized but definitely no frills, no swag afterward, RD provided plenty of water and oranges and bananas for after the race.

I finished 14th Overall, and 5th in my AG!!! Not a bad showing for my first race, even though it was a very small event.

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:46 | 02 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Average
Course: Course was two miles (just a tad short according to my GPS...) out and back. Nice and flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:53 | 10 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Course was a 10 mile out and back, over three cattleguards. Downhill on the way out and a long grinding uphill on the way back. Road was very bumpy and in poor repair. If you had fillings, prepare to have a few rattled loose
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good