United States
Sun Sport Events
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 30m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Did packet pick up on Friday afternoon. Met Kathy G and Sue for a quick swim. The water was beautiful. Picked up my packet and met Helen, Erica and Beth and headed out for dinner. We were joined by Rob, Josh and his 2 cute kids and Lisa. It was a great time and helped to relieve the jitters a little. I got home around 9 pm and finished assembling all my "stuff". I slept pretty well from 10pm til 2 am and then I tossed and turned. At 4 am I was up and ready to go. Had coffee and a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. We were on the road by 4:45. I will say that I was a nervous wreck!Although I had trained hard, this was my first HIM and I was not sure I could do the distance.
Event warmup:

Once we arrived I went to transition, got body marked and set up my stuff. I put my bike and run stuff in plastic bags as the weather was iffy. Once I finished I talked to some BTers and then headed over for a swim. I swam to the first bouy and back. I felt tired. I had alot of negative thoughts at this point...what was I thinking????...will I be able to do this????...I eventually was able to talk myself into shutting up the negative chatter. I decided to race my own race and do my best. Before I knew it we were lining up for the swim. I saw KOM as I entered, so nice to see her smiling face.
Swim
  • 27m 59s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started this swim in the front on the right side. My plan was to go easy and not to push to hard as I had a long 69 miles to follow! The course was short. I started easy breathing every 4th stroke. I felt great during the entire swim. There was very little contact, and I couldnt find any feet to draft off of. I did catch the wave ahead of me at the half way point. It always makes me push a little when I pass a wave. Before I knew it I was out of the water. I saw my husband as I entered transition( he volunteered) and he told me I had a great swim. I looked at my watch and it said 28 mins. I thought HOLY Shet that was fast!!!!! I felt good and strong and had no self doubt.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

I had to put on a bike jersey as this is where I was keeping my nutrition. I wore my tri shorts and a sports bra for the swim so I could just throw on the jersey. It worked well but took some time. Put my socks and bike shoes on but my left sock was all bunched up. I know I am not going to qualify for Kona so I take off the shoe and sock and re apply. I know know I will be comfortable for the next 58 miles!!!!! I ran to the bike mount line and off I went!!!!

Nothing!
Bike
  • 3h 14m 52s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Several days prior to the race my family bought me Zipp wheels for my birthday. What a difference! I felt pretty good going out on the bike. During the first loop I was passed by alot of the super fast people...I just reminded myself to race my own race. After 25 minutes I started to eat. Had my first uncrustable(ummmm) and followed it with a bit of Apple Cinnamon hammer gel. I drank 1/3 strength gatorade throughout the ride. I finished the first loop and I realized I was going faster than I ever trained and knew I had to slow down a bit. I convinced myself it was the wheels and I was fine. Saw KOM running and gave her a shout out. I saw my husband and Kevin near the camp. Its encouraging to see family and freinds. About 20 minutes into the second loop I began to feel a little fatigue. I started singing and humming "Oh Lord Wont Ya buy Me A Mercedes Benz" by Janis Joplin. I figured this would keep me from getting my heart rate too high ( cant be too bad if your singing). Then the sun started to come out. All I could think was the run will be tough if it gets sunny. Time for a new tune..."Here Comes The Sun"...its all right!!!!!! I played cat and mouse with a few people. Came to the transition area and I will say, I was VERY glad to be done with the bike!!!!!

Not to go so hard...I paid dearly for it on the run!
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Quickly threw off shirt and shoes and changed. I reminded myself "NO tea parties in transition" I was out pretty quickly for me!

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 41m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Let me first say...I am not a very good runner!!Leaving the transition area I could feel the soreness in my quads. I ran for about a 1/2 mile and stopped and walked because they just hurt!At this point I decided that I would walk up every hill and try to run the remainder of the time.This seemed like a pretty good plan. As I was running a guy passed me and said" dont worry the limo is right around the corner". I could only be so lucky. I was pretty happy to reach the first aid station. I decided I would treat each aid station as a "picnic" and stop and drink and have a little bite to eat. The volunteers were great and had a lot of encouraging words as I thanked them for my picnic. It got pretty lonely out on the course and by mile 7 I think I had been passed by most people in my AG ( I hadnt seen any of them up until the run). I was a little discouraged.I got bit by misquitos I was so slow!!! I had to keep telling myself I was strong and could finish. I started thinking of all the strong people in my life. I used the alphabet to match the names with the people.You all know who you are...a HUGE THANK YOU to you all!!!! This kept my mind occupied and positive. By mile 10 I kept sayng ...only 5 K...anyone can do 5 K. Then comes the hill before the camp...UGGHH...only one more hill. By the time I got to the top I looked at my watch and realized that I was at 6:27. My ultimate goal was to finish in 6:30. I knew if I gave it my all I could make 6:30. Time to HTFU!!!! I ran the best I could. I could hear my family and the BTers cheering ( Thank you all!!!!) and that carried me through to the finish. KOM was there to get a big sweaty hug!!!!I cant describe the feeling of finishing...just awesome!

Run more in training, not hammer the bike so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my family and friends. Sue, Josh and I went for a swim. The water was GREAT and felt wonderful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I gave it my all...nothing could have made me do any better! I was very happy with my race.

Event comments:

I will say that I was pretty disappointed with the end of this race. Had it not been for my friends and family there would have been no cheering. They didnt even announce your name as you cross the finish.( they do this in most sprint races)No music...no nothing:(

I trained very hard for this race, and although I am not terribly speedy I want fanfare when I cross the line. If I do another half ( which I will) I will pick one that acknowledges my accomplishment as I cross the line. They were actually taking down banners shortly after I finished and there were others on the course. I thought this was just rude.

There were no port-o-pots out on the course at all. Although I have learned to pee on the bike and run...I really needed one on the run. It just plain sucked!

They advertised that they would have endurolytes on the run. They had them at mile 1 and 2 but none after that.

I love this course. Its beautiful, the roads are nice, the water is awesome.That said, I would trade that, for a celebration of the accomplishment of finishing a HIM.

Last updated: 2009-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:59 | 1931 meters | 01m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:14:52 | 58 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills. Scenic
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:41:30 | 13.1 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/9
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-24 7:33 AM

Uxbridge
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2009-06-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2238951

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron
I am so sorry I could not be there at the end - but my older son's baseball team made it to the World Series and due to all the rain they were playing a double header - so as soon as I finished I had to get in the car and go!

I agree the course is GORGEOUS and on the run was surprised that there were no portapotties - almost went in the woods the last few miles....

you did GREAT!!!! and I missed no announcement at the end too -

next year if we all do this baseball or not we will have a giant BT party and fanfare at the finish

hey we did it - our first HIMs!!!!!!
2009-06-24 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
great job Marianne!!!  It was great to meet you and everyone else!!! that did suck about them taking down the course and doing awards while people were still on course.  Great result and effort none the less!!!

2009-06-24 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Outstanding job.  You should be very proud of yourself.  We all are.  You continue to be an inspiration to us all, as well as selfless mentor to any who needs one.    You pick the IM and I will be there.

2009-06-24 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
GREAT job Marianne!  It was a blast to do our first HIM together.  RI 70.3 here we come!
2009-06-24 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Great RR Mav...  Congrats again on your first HIM...  What an awesome accomplishment...  You may have not been able to hear it when you crossed the finish line... but many of us on here were cheering as well...

2009-06-24 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Awesome job Marianne!

You the queen of overpreparedness were well prepared and did incredibly well! Be proud of all you have done in last 3 years quite impressive and inspirational.

I love your attitude training and racing.

Let the next chapter in this fun journey begin.....
2009-06-24 9:41 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
And to think you almost bagged the race when your Dad was in the hospital! You did great!!! I totally agree about the finish. You know me and tunes- almost brought my ipod over and told them to hook it up to something so at least there was music at the finish.  Maybe I should have ;-)   Congrats on a race well done!
2010-06-22 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Congrats on a job well done Mav!  Your swim time was terrific!  I guess that extra time spent in the water has paid off!  Bike looks great as well!  I would definitely recommend focusing on not going too hard on the bike during RI 70.3 as prep for AZ because that could really cause some trouble during the big one.

Way to battle during the run!  With the lack of run training you've had, you should be incredibly proud of your time.  Keep up the great work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed