United States
Set-Up, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 33s
Overall Rank = 13/194
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/54
Pre-race routine:

I woke up late. Swim launch was at 630 am. I had set my clock for 4:45 and I was about a 25-30 drive away. Made a mistake setting the clock and woke up at 5:20. I scarfed down some ceral and started drinking Cytomax and Powerade Zero on the way to the race. Just slipped in the front gate to avoid the three mile walk at 6am.
Event warmup:

After setting up my gear I had enough time to go jog a quarter mile. Had me a Powerade Gel approximately 5 minutes prior to race start. Got in the water just before start and did just a few strokes to try and warm up my arms. One funny sidenote, right before launch our wave was in the water at the shoreline when a snake came swimming in. Small freak out and a brush off by a few participants. No Indiana Jones' in our group.
Swim
  • 17m 49s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was probably the best shape I was in since my 2007 run at this race. I was about 30 sec faster than 2007, and probably a little faster than that since the transition mats were a little farther from the shoreline than past years. I'm still a slow swimmer compared to my bike and run, someday I am going to accept that. My navigation is a bit better but I still feel I need to sight too much to stay straight. Still my best overall swim, I felt pretty strong coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Sight less.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

First I get a bit of a pass here. I had an AWFUL transition spot compared to just about every other race I can remember. At the end of a long row against the fence. Aside from that time addition I couldn't get in my bike shoes without sitting down. I'm not sure I like my bike shoes this year for several reasons. And even though this time isn't on transition because I pass the mats, I still have trouble getting into the pedals. Overall I wasn't happy with it, but didn't care because of my bad spot.

Practice, I never do when I should. Perhaps look into having my shoes on the pedals prior to transition and get into them once I'm off and pedaling on the bike.
Bike
  • 50m 4s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best sprint bike. I was about 2 minutes faster than '07. I am more prone to spin this year rather than push bigger gears which overall was a big help. I might be giving up a little too early on rolling uphills though.

Lift some leg weights. My overall limiter is leg power.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I did everything about as fast as could be expected. For the second race in a row though I lost my sunglasses because I put them on after my helmet and when I pull my helmet off they flop to the ground and I just leave them. Not a big deal though, this course is in the woods on a trail primarily so they really weren't needed. I have had faster times at transition in the past, again I blame the awful spot I had.

Sunglasses on before helmet. My next race is nowhere near a tree for the run.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, I'm going to pimp something to everyone reading this that I am a bible thumping believer in that my coach suggested to me and was a key to my best tri performance. If you drink Gatorade or G2, drop it. Drink an electrolyte drink that does not have high fructose corn syrup in it. It's poison, it's a sugar that burns way to fast. Find something else. Up to this race I have always drank Gatorade or G2, in large amounts. The result has been that I have cramped up to some degree in every tri race on the run. Every one. I used Cytomax and Powerade Zero this race and had zero cramping issues the whole race, none. There are plenty other brands out there as well. Along with much better training, this was the key to my best 5K in a tri race ever.
I had a bit of a muscular endurance issue, but had plenty of gas in the tank the whole way. I can say I hope I feel this way on every race from now on. I even had enough juice to sprint down and pass someone who just passed me with a couple hundred yards to go. Boy that was fun.

Probably just need more high end speed work and intensity workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out with Steph who had everything I needed. Love you girl.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim technique is the biggest factor to keep me from playing catch up with my wave. The other two disciplines are coming around with some great coaching.

Event comments:

SetupEvents.com has it down. Great race

Last updated: 2009-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:49 | 820 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 93/194
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot tri suit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:04 | 17 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Overall: 22/194
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Just about all rolling and flat. I can recall only once having to get out of my saddle to pedal.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 0/194
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills on a gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-24 8:20 AM

Subject: Tri Latta (Sunday)

2009-06-25 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2239065

Subject: RE: Tri Latta (Sunday)

Good, solid race there.  Congrats. 

It is a good thing I didnt see that snake, I would have freaked. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta (Sunday) Rss Feed