Xterra
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 36s
Overall Rank = 76/86
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Pre-rode the bike course on Saturday. Fell backwards down one of the hills into the trunk of a sabal palm and scraped up my arm and thigh pretty significantly. Walked most of the run course loop. Got up on time race morning, had a bowl of Cheerios and a banana. Drove to the race site and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Relax in the car, try to stay cool, 50 yards of swimming. Temperature was above 80 degrees by sunrise, and humidity was 92% at the race start. Miserable.
Swim
  • 15m 15s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a really good swim. Very little contact with other racers, never got off line. It was my first dock start, so I let the ambitious ones dive in and get clear before I hit the water. The water temperature was unpleasant, to say the least. Getting back onto the dock was a challenge, even with the volunteers to help. It took me by surprise how hard it was, since I had no trouble getting back up unassisted after my warm-up swim. Turns out, when there aren't 100 people standing on the floating dock, it gets about 18 inches higher and almost infinitely more difficult to hoist yourself up.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing aside from become a faster swimmer and chose a race before May or after September.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

There was a run of about ΒΌ mile from the swim to the transition on crushed shell. I took my shoes, but not my socks. This was fine until about halfway through the run.
Never considered the difficulty of putting MTB gloves on wet hands, but only lost a few seconds there. Forgot my goggles and left them hanging around my neck for the bike portion. The people on either side of me were there when I came in and were still there when I left.

Remember goggles, put socks on at swim exit.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 8.35 mile/hr
Comments:

This was much more difficult than I had expected. I can finish the local 12-mile loop of rolling hills with lots of sugar sand in 1:05 on a regular basis. Only put 1.5 liters in my camelbak. Ran out about 10 miles. I was glad to see the 100% of the other competitors hike-a-biking up the hills that I was most worried about. I'd prefer to see a course a little more consistent, rather than 5 miles of super easy, 2 miles of muddy off-camber blind steep descents and climbs, then back to 6 more miles of super easy.

Completely fill the camelbak. Pick a race in the dry season with heat index less than 105. Not lose my sunglasses.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2#1: The only time provided by the RD this year was overall. I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch, but I think this was about 30 seconds. Rack the bike, helmet, drop the camelbak and run (shuffle/stumble) out.

T2#2: The 2-loop nature of the run course had us going back through transition before starting the second loop. In a crowded race, this would be a terrible idea. Here, it was just fine. Actually, since I had started working on a blister, I took the time to stop and get my socks.
Run
  • 1h 05m 27s
  • 4 miles
  • 16m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not sure I have ever been this miserable in my life. HOT HOT HOT HOT. I needed more water. Drank 4 cups at each water stop (transition and mile #1, so roughly once per mile). It still wasn't enough. There was at least 2 miles of walking, combined with slow jogging. At least I didn't finish DFL.

Pick a race that isn't so hot. Run more. Hydrate better.
Post race
Warm down:

Guzzle 32 ounces of gatorade/water. Grab some watermelon and pretzels, collapse into car. I weighed 222 the night before the race. Drank 192+ ounces of fluid, and weighed 220 when I got back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, insufficient run training.

Event comments:

This is by far the hardest race I've ever done. I think it wouldn't be so bad in the winter. The entire event was very low-key and relaxed. Even more so than a regular tri.

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:15 | 875 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 laps of a triangle from the dock.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:23 | 13 miles | 8.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat singletrack that can be very fast. Except for the lack of any straights more than 50 yards long. And the incredibly slick mud that covered nearly the entire course. It was slick to the point that 4mph was too fast for most turns. A woman went down in front of me on a straight section as a result of shifting her weight to reach for a water bottle. The wettest sections had only slightly more grip than ice.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:27 | 04 miles | 16m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: First mile on energy sucking thick grass in the sun along the riverbank. Second mile on packed sand in the shade meandering back to the camping area of the park.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %6.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes