USA Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m
Overall Rank = 152/623
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 21/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4, after a fairly shitty nights sleep. Walked the dogs, ate bowl of granola and drank large cup of coffee. Off to the race to set up at 5:20am, already plenty of activity and the best spots in transition were, of course, already gone.
Event warmup:

The morning temperature was pleasantly comfortable, high 50's I suppose, with overcast conditions and almost no wind...perfect weather. I set up my transition spot, ate an energy gel and put my wet suit on about 20 minutes before the start. Got in about 250m warm up and with little time to spare lined up for the start. Felt like I was warmed up and ready to go and timing was really pretty good. Ready to race...
Swim
  • 32m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, it is what it is. Got a decent start, let the fast guys go and kept it smooth and steady. Slowing passing people, felt good...in control. I even allowed myself to think "hey, this might be a decent swim for a change". I felt like I handled the traffic well; lots of bumping but didn't loose focus. I was having a pretty good swim, for me. Until the last 500m or so, then I had some cramping issues in my right hamstring and calf. Never had that before, hope I never do again. Scary. I really struggled at times, but did make it out of the water without assistance and headed up the hill to T1...very disappointed. Aside from the cramps, it was a good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I knew.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I stopped on the run up to the transition area and removed the wetsuit. Had a bit of a struggle with both legs. Average transition for me, not great, but not bad either.

More Body Glide around the ankles probably
Bike
  • 1h 20m 15s
  • 30 miles
  • 22.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I needed to have a strong bike to have any hope of getting a respectable time. So I put the hammer down right from the start and pretty much kept the foot on the gas the whole way. I didn't feel quite as good as I did last year, but still had a good bike for me...and no flat this year.I passed many, but the traffic seemed a little more spread out than last year, so passing was easier. I was passed by several, including the eventual race leaders. I had about 16oz of Cytomax and nothing else...A tactical error, I believe, which came back to affect my run. I was hoping for a sub-1:20 bike on this course...I got really close, but it will have to wait for next year. I'm not sure I had much more in me on this day.

Probably would have taken in more fluids and for sure more calories.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

OK, nothing great, but no big issues.

Move a little faster... felt slow getting my bike shoes off and running shoes on.
Run
  • 50m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I had really anticipated being able to at least get in the 49 minute range, if not 48. It was just not to be today. I felt quite fatigued and really struggled to keep up the 8:15ish pace I eventually settled in at. Really struggled. In hindsight, I would speculate I may have gone just a bit too hard on the bike and, importantly, I didn't take in enough calories on the bike. I also finished the race a little dehydrated...nothing critical, but enough to possibly affect my performance...who knows. I had absolutely nothing left at the finish. Whatever the issues, it was a difficult and disappointing run. For as trashed as I felt afterward, I should have been a little faster.

Other than training differently, I would have had a Gel during the bike and another in T2, plus a little more water.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a couple glasses of Gatorade, ate breakfast burrito and drank a bottle of water. Got my stuff, left and showered...then laid down for a little nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The positives: I finished almost 6 minutes faster than last year. The rest of the story: I flatted 2 miles from the bike finish last year and probably lost 8 minutes because of it. I really did not have the race I was hoping for and that's something I will have to really think about...My gut feel is the volume and intensity of my training didn't really prepare me very well to have the race I was hoping for. Much to think about in that regard. Obviously, I need to be smarter about taking in calories (and fluids) especially for these Olympic distance events. They are not like sprints. Duh. And finally, I need to get better rest and sleep, before a race, and in general.

Event comments:

This is a very well run event, and a blast to race. A very scenic and challenging course; fast competition and just the right size. I like this race a lot. For certain, an annual event.

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/48
Overall: 362/623
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Rectangle, counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:15 | 30 miles | 22.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/48
Overall: 56/623
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop, very scenic course with a bit more than 1500' of climbing
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/48
Overall: 285/623
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back primarily though residential area and half way around the Lake. Flat and paved. Nice run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes