Running Fit
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 38s
Overall Rank = 208/250
Age Group = 25-29 Female
Age Group Rank = 8/14
Pre-race routine:

I snuck down the stairwell and was out of the office right at 4pm...and had an hour drive to get to Island Lake. Stopped at Arbys to change into my race gear. I was going to get a roast beef sandwich, but then I thought about how that might taste about half way through the race, and opted against it.

I made it to the park with enough time to set up the tent, rack my bike and get my transition area set up.
Event warmup:

I couldn't decide if I wanted to wear my wetsuit or not (it was so damn hot), so I went for a warm up swim without it. I swam out to the first bouy and back...and decided that the benefits of the suit outweighed any reason not to wear it. So, with about 8 minutes before the start of the race, I struggled into my wetsuit and got into the water with 2 minutes to spare.
Swim
  • 18m 55s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

My wave went first (the 29 and under wave). No one was moving up to the starting line, and I sure as hell didn't want to be out front after my experience at Hawk Island! So I joked "come one guys, move up...I don't want to be up there"! Some finally did but I still ended up 2nd in line on the far right (outside). I didn't want to have to swim 25 yards just to get past the starting line.

The horn went off and I felt pretty good for the first 200 or so meters. My right goggle filled with water immediately, but I just pounded my way though it. At some point before the turn around, I got smacked/swam over by a guy coming up to my right. No big deal...it gave me an opportunity to fix the goggles.

I had open water for most of the swim. I swam far to the outsides which probably added a little yardage to the course for me. I felt fine, but I wasn't feeling as fast or strong as I did on Sunday. I was lacking energy.

Overall, this swim felt longer and slower. But I would still consider it one of my more successful Tri swims. I swam freestyle the entire way. I rounded the bouy like a pro. I never sucked down water and never had issues with breathing. My sighting was fine. It was a decent swim.
What would you do differently?:

Eat something before the race maybe. I was lacking energy. It was probably caused by the heat too...but having some food in my belly may have helped.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Wow...I think this is a PR transition time for me. It sure felt like it took longer than a minute and a half. But alas, I was #1 out of 14 in my age group and 106 out of 250 overall for my T1 time. I was finally 1st at something at a Tri! Yay!

I'm going to practice mounting the bike with my shoes already clipped in. That will cut some more time from T1. Not using a wetsuit will also cut some time. I can see sub 1:00 T1 times in my near future.
Bike
  • 43m 25s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good going out. But...a little shorter than a mile into the ride, I dropped my chain. WTF! I'd never dropped a chain on my new bike. I unclipped and pulled off into the grasss to inspect. Apparently my goggles wanted to come along for the ride! They were tangled in with my chain. I fiddled with it until I finally got the darn thing loose. Bad news...the goggles were wrecked. Good news...it only killed about 3-4 minutes before I was back on my bike (with nasty black greasy hands).

The rest of the ride was uneventful.

My shifting wasn't as good as it was on Sunday, but still an improvement from earlier this spring. I think part was due to more people being on the roads and in front of me causing me to either forget to shift in time or worry that there wasn't enough room to pass them on the downhill or uphill, thus slowing down or not pushing as hard as I could have at those times.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

My T2 time was the slowest in my age group. I took time to put on my socks because I'd developed blisters during Sundays run. I throw on shorts because I hate how I look in just the compression tri shorts (and I want to look good for the pictures). I throw on a hat, my running shoes and a race belt. Oh....and I took a good long drink from my water bottle.

Hustle a little more. Run more without socks so I won't have to waste time putting them on in transition. Not sure what else I could do to get faster here...just practice I guess.
Run
  • 39h 50m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12h 50m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot...thirsty...tired. Blah.

Train properly ahead of time. Maybe, on a ridiculously hot day like that, take a water bottle with me for the run. Oh...and HTFU.
Post race
Warm down:

I chugged a full bottle of water in under a minute (PR?) and made my way to the finish line area to cheer on the rest of the BT crew. I also enjoyed some of the watermelon and strawberries that Trish brought...thank you!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Lack of run training. Goggles stuck in bike chain. Lack of HTFU'ing.

Event comments:

This was a fun race. I had a nice time hanging with the BT crew...Jamie, Jason, Susan, Jennifer Lynn, Courtney, Dave , Dan and Trish. The race was well organized and lots of people came out for a hot, Wednesday evening Triathlon. Pretty cool.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:55 | 800 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 106/250
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Sleeveless
Course: Out and back...counter clockwise. It felt long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:25 | 12.4 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 200/250
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back through Island Lake. Slightly hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
39:50:00 | 03.1 miles | 12h 50m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 236/250
Performance: Bad
Course: Paved trail run, finishing on a grassy downhill towards the lake.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-25 12:44 PM

Master
Subject: Triceratops Tri

2009-06-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2242831

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Triceratops Tri

Stinks about the bike chain, and yeah, I'm slowing down in the heat of late as well, but great job on the swim and you rocked T1!!!

It feels like you're getting more confident with each race you do.

2009-06-25 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Grass Lake, MI
Wow, I didn't know that you had your goggles stuck in your chain.  I think you're going to need to teach me how to swim.  My swim times are horrible, and yours are always great!

Nice job out there. 
2009-06-25 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Kristen
Nice race based on the conditions.  I can feel for you about your bike chain.  I decided at the last minute to do this race too, pretty sure I saw you on the running course.  I wasn't even paying attention that you had the tent set up before hand I was just trying to stay cool.  I really had a hard time with the heat. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triceratops Tri Rss Feed