http://www.hermescleveland.com/10miler/index.shtml
25F / -4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m
Overall Rank = 630/690
Age Group = Male 25 to 29
Age Group Rank = 34/37
Pre-race routine:

Bundle UP! The weather forcast got worse and worse as race day approached. Finally the night before, with no sign of the race being called off, I started gathering my gear. Long underwear under running shorts under sweats under rain pants on the lower half, 2 layers of socks under my running sneaks on the bottom, a t-shirt under a warmup shirt under a mesh t-shirt under a windbreaker on the torso, gloves, and a balaclava and cap on the top. This was just about right for the conditions. 30MPH winds and face-stinging sleet.
Event warmup:

Warm? There was no warmth. Everyone hudled in the House of Blues to stay warm pre-race. I took a short jog to my car and back to the starting line, which the wind promptly blew over. Yes, the starting line scaffold blew over.
Run
  • 1h 50m
  • 10 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

Ridiculous. Great mental toughness exercise.
No sports dringk or gels as promised on the course. I complained to find out that a water table had been stolen in all the confusion, and the GU truck had to be used to run supplies around. Bad excuse in my opinion. These folks were unprepared for the weather. The volunteers however were OUTSTANDING. We at least got to keep moving to keep warm. Those folks standing out in the cold deserve a nice round of applause.
What would you do differently?:

Don't trust the race organizer. BYO GU
I think I could have pushed it through the wind if I had more fluid/fuel.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up and dowwn the alley to the HoB. Got in the car and stretched while the windows defrosted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold sent the HR pretty high. By mile 5 my clothes were soaked and weighing me down. The lack of anything but water on the course hampered my endurance. WIND

Event comments:

I'm airing on the side of coming down hard on this race organizer. They lost their cool under the weather conditions. They put people in danger by going through with the race with no sports drink. They even left the post-race food out in the cold and rain/snow/sleet. I've already mailed them to say I'm not doing any more of their runs this year.
All that aside the volunteers were great. Hats off to them.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:00 | 10 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 34/37
Overall: 630/690
Performance: Bad
Miles 1-2 - 9min pace HR in high zone 3 Mile 3 10min tried to bring the HR down and hit the first bridge/hill Mile 4 10:30 turning into the wind Mile 5 11min 2nd bridge and heading towards the lakefront Mile 6-8 13:30 Lakefront wind knocking everybody around Mile 9 12min finally away from the lake, but still windy and recovering Mile 10 10min At this point it was more about getting it over with...
Course: On a nice day this would have been a beautiful tour of the sites around Cleveland. From the House of Blues we went down prospect to E36th, turned Right over to Carnegie to head back. We past Jacob's Field before the Carnegie bridge over the Cuyahoga river. Past the West Side Market we turned Right on West 25th and headed down to Detroit Rd. Turn Right on Detroit over the bridge back into downtown. Turn left on West 9th and down to Lakeside. Turn Right on Lakeside to West 3rd turn left down west 3rd to the lakefront. Run around Browns Stadium, The Great Lakes Science Center, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Burke Lakefront Airport. Run back up East 9th to Lakeside and head west again down to West 6th. Turn Left on W 6th in to Prospect and turn Left to head back to the House of Blues.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes